Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

rear wing replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 08:29 PM
Coyote5
1st Gear Member

Default rear wing replacement.

I had an after market spoiler sitting around the house for a few months. I finally got around to taking my factory spoiler off so I could install my CS spoiler. My original intention was to have the whole project finished in an afternoon. I completely forgot about the adhesive, So after digging out a hair dryer and getting to work,I ran out of daylight just in time to realize Ive got about a couple of hours of peeling and stripping to get all the residual adhesive off of the deck lid haha. Maybe tomorrow.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:10 PM
Coyote5
1st Gear Member

I've been working just about every day lately, but I finally got around to installing it and taking a couple of pics. I think I've done about all I want to on it cosmetically. It's time to look into suspension and wheel upgrades. Maybe brakes after that. I want this car to handle a lot better before I add any power.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:08 PM
upst

Looks great!

I also have a '14 GT and ordered the aftermarket CS spoiler and will be putting it on this spring. How much trouble was it to remove the old spoiler? I've read you can use some fishing line together with a hair dryer to get under the old spoiler and loosen the glue. This is supposed to not harm the paint which is what I am worried about the most.

Thanks for any insights.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:08 PM
Coyote5
1st Gear Member

The hardest part was removing all the adhesive underneath the oem spoiler. IIRC it took a good 2 hours of cleaning to get everything off. Other than that the installation was pretty easy. I had to use a dremel to make space for the screws, but it was all stuff a novice could handle. The templates it comes with for drilling the holes work well. Cleaning off all of the adhesive actually took as long if not longer than the rest of it. I think my entire tool list was a plastic scraper, paint thinner, dremel with a sanding bit and endmill bit, either a flathead or Phillips screwdriver, drill, heat gun or hair dryer, file, and I had some touch up paint to try and minimize bare metal around the drill/grind points. Hope this helps.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:06 PM
upst

Great, thanks for the info. Can't wait for spring to arrive.
Old 10-03-2020, 09:42 AM
jwmgr8

well done