Notices
GT350 S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the new GT350 Mustang.

GT350 Getting Upgraded Already, Perhaps Afraid of Big Bad Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 01:43 PM
MustangForums Editor
MustangForums Editor

Default GT350 Getting Upgraded Already, Perhaps Afraid of Big Bad Camaro

According to leaked documents from the UAW and Ford Motor Company, enthusiasts have a lot to be excited about because Ford's already planning on upgrading the GT350's motor.

Read the rest on the Mustang Forums homepage. >>
Old 11-16-2015, 04:27 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Crazy fast!!!!
Old 11-16-2015, 05:59 PM
squishbang
2nd Gear Member

The Camaro - pffft. To quote: 1970s technology TODAY!
They're wonderful LT1 engine needs an entire extra 1.2 liters to hang with the 5.0 liter Coyote engine. The reason the Camaro SS shows up slightly better than a performance package Mustang is that it comes with larger wheels. In order to achieve power they are throwing more displacement at it. The Camaro, while looking smoking hot, is a rehash of yesterday's tech. Nothing new to see here.

Then Ford rolls in with their Voodoo version of the Coyote giving it a flat plane crank and other newish tech (Yamaha has been putting flat planes in the liter bikes for a long time now so it's kinda old hat). With just the equivalent of an cup of coke extra displacement in their engine they pull out an extra 120HP.

Then there is a matter of pricing. A GT Premium + Perf Nav Racaros Adaptive Cruise Control Triple Yellow /w racing stripe is $41,879 MSRP

A 2SS + Yello Racing w/ racing stripe if $43,510 and there isn't a price for the equivalent brakes or other bits the Mustang has.

The GT350R is already cheaper than the Z28. We'll have to wait for the comparison shoot out that probably has already been done but not published. Should be interesting.

My point is that I think Ford actually does have the edge tech wise. Perhaps not ****ing over investors and holding your hand out for government bail outs leads to better products. But I could be wrong.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:14 PM
WJBertrand
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by squishbang
(Yamaha has been putting flat planes in the liter bikes for a long time now so it's kinda old hat). With just the equivalent of an cup of coke extra displacement in their engine they pull out an extra 120HP.
Actually it's the opposite. Flat plane cranks are customary for inline two and four cylinder engines whereas cross plane cranks are customary/conventional for American V8s.

What Yamaha has done with their MotoGP bikes and later with the R1 superbike was to use a cross plane arrangement for these I-4 engines. I'm not aware of any other motorcycle or car manufacturer using a cross plane arrangement for a four cylinder engine.

Yamaha used cross plane cranks (they call it a 270 degree crank) for their twin cylinder TDM 800 bikes back in the '90s and today in their Super Tenere 1200. Honda has recently followed suit with their own 1000cc cross plane crank in the soon to be introduced Africa Twin.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:27 PM
squishbang
2nd Gear Member

crap. No idea why I decided it was a flat plane crank. I'll just claim that I was drunk when I wrote that.

My basic point though is that Ford is investing in real development. They could have introduced a Mustang with more displacement with a smaller investment. Instead we're seeing an engine that is already pretty awesome and will only grow as they continue finding clever ways to squeeze out more power.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:12 PM
WJBertrand
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by squishbang
crap. No idea why I decided it was a flat plane crank. I'll just claim that I was drunk when I wrote that.

My basic point though is that Ford is investing in real development. They could have introduced a Mustang with more displacement with a smaller investment. Instead we're seeing an engine that is already pretty awesome and will only grow as they continue finding clever ways to squeeze out more power.

Agree with that. Chevy seems to be taking the bigger hammer approach, where Ford is advancing the technology.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:29 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Whoops! I thought the term was "Flat Plane Crank" too! Who cares because my Triple Yellow GT came in today, so on the 1st I'm putting a ribbon on it for my 74th birthday! Old guys like Mustangs too!

Still love to drive a GT 350 though, but there won't be many test drives! LOL!
Old 12-12-2015, 11:26 PM
rjwz28

Originally Posted by Mr. D
Whoops! I thought the term was "Flat Plane Crank" too! Who cares because my Triple Yellow GT came in today, so on the 1st I'm putting a ribbon on it for my 74th birthday! Old guys like Mustangs too!

Still love to drive a GT 350 though, but there won't be many test drives! LOL!
The term is flat plane crank, as applied to the GT350 V8 vs the cross plane crank in the standard GT and most other V8s. He was referring to I-4 bikes, where the standard layout is a flat plane crank and the deviation (like the current and last-gen R1) is a cross plane crank.