4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

clutch rattle?

Old 10-05-2006, 02:11 AM
ohthreeGT
1st Gear Member

Default clutch rattle?

just bought my 1st stang today, a white 03 GT 5speed, 50kmiles. so far im loving every second of it but its making a horrible rattling sound at idle and its only when the clutch is depressed. its goes in sych with the rpms but after about 2k it seems to go away. if the clutch is not depressed the sound is gone.

im thinking its the throwout since the clutch feels very tight and no slipping. is this a normal annoyance to these things or is there a big problem brewing? and if it turns out i need to replace the throwout should i just go ahead and drop in a king cobra clutch?

thanks in advance
Old 10-05-2006, 02:29 AM
Flyingmau5
5th Gear Member

Default RE: clutch rattle?

king cobra clutch is helluva nice...
Old 10-05-2006, 03:40 AM
FRunner
1st Gear Member

If it was the TOB the clutch should rattle when it is NOT depressed as far as I know. Maybe it is the other bearing(Pilot?) that is in there? I don't know enough to say for certain, but I'm sure if I'm wrong I'll be promptly corrected. If it does turn out to be the TOB then just drop in the King Cobra. You're going to have to drop the tranny anyways and with your car being at 50k you may as well get it all done at once.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:02 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

I want to take the time here on this forum to clear up some highly misused terms and definitions on clutches.

Terms:

Disengaged:
When the clutch pedal is depressed, the release system pushes the fork against the throw-out, (release), bearing. The bearing pushes against the clutch diaphragm spring to release the pressure plate clamp load on the disc, allowing the crankshaft and flywheel to rotate at engine speed, while the disc and transmission input shaft coast. Engine power cannot flow through to the transmission.

Engaged:
When the driver selects a gear and releases the clutch pedal, the release system retracts the throw-out, (release), bearing, the disc slips briefly to provide smooth engagement and the clutch clamps the disc against the flywheel. The clutch, disc and flywheel "lock" together, turning the input shaft. Engine power flows to the transmission.

Definitions:

Throw-Out, (Release), Bearing:
The release bearing is attached to the fork and slides on a bearing retainer that is attached to the front of the transmission. The movement of the fork causes the release bearing to slide across the bearing retainer and press against the tips of the diaphragm spring fingers. Ball bearings in the release bearing enable it to turn while applying pressure to the fingers. In order for the clutch to function properly, the bearing retainer must be exactly parallel to the input shaft and provide a smooth surface for the release bearing.

Pilot Bearing/Bushing
On many vehicles, a pilot bearing or bushing is located in the end of the crankshaft. The pilot bearing supports the end of the transmission input shaft and centers the disc on the flywheel. Types of pilots include conventional ball bearings, needle bearings and bronze bushings.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:06 AM
so1o2k3
4th Gear Member

the king cobra is only for T-45's you have a T-3650.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:32 PM
ohthreeGT
1st Gear Member

ahhh i didnt know that about the king cobra, i honestly dont know much mustang specific things but i have had my fair share of trannies out and apart.

so as far as the sound should i just start saving the cash for if and when it breaks or is there a zerk somehwere for something needing greased.the clutch feels and drives fine and problem free, just that tapping sound when the clutch is "disengaged" (pedal pressed down)

so what kinda upgraded clutch is recommeded for the t3650?
Old 10-06-2006, 10:28 AM
ohthreeGT
1st Gear Member

the sound also seems to be lesser after warming up, not so much warming the motor but after driving a few miles its like it lubes itself up but it wont go away completely.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:02 AM
MarineNCOIC
2nd Gear Member

I have the exact same problem. I've heard its the pressure plate. Once the car warms up it allows the pressure plate to expand in which isnt doesn't create that noise. I don't know if this is correct or not, just what I've heard. It still drives fine just like you said. No clutch slippage or anything. I'll be replacing the clutch and all the bearings. Going with Centerforce DFX.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:53 PM
MarineNCOIC
2nd Gear Member

Anybody else have any thoughts on this?
Old 10-10-2006, 12:10 PM
ohthreeGT
1st Gear Member

maybe its just the white cars doing it hahah

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: clutch rattle?