V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Help! 2001 V6 fuel filler neck

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 09:53 AM
Johnnyscat

Default Help! 2001 V6 fuel filler neck

Hey all. I'm new around here. I need some help.

I need to replace the fuel filler neck. I managed to leak gas all over the gas station yesterday. There is a small hole in it right where the nozzle of the pump evidently would hit the interior of the neck.

That being said, the neck IS a seperate part from the tank, right? I don't imagine it'd be too difficult. I just need to know what I need to get/what I should ask for at the auto parts store. That, and some basic info on how to do it.

I need to replace this thing asap and I don't have the cash to pay a professional. I'm kinda behind the 8-ball right now.

I'd appreciate any info you can give!
Old 10-16-2006, 11:04 AM
mightymouse
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Help! 2001 V6 fuel filler neck

I'm thinking that may be a dealer item only or may be a salvige yard part. but dont quote me on that.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:12 AM
Archion
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Help! 2001 V6 fuel filler neck

It is a seperate piece, You will not find it at a parts store, you will have to goto the dealer or a salvage yard. You will need to get a new grommet from the dealer as well.

Tank

Removal

WARNING:
Do not smoke, carry lighted tobacco or an open flame of any type when working on or near any fuel-related components. Highly flammable mixtures are always present and may be ignited, possibly resulting in personal injury.

WARNING:
Fuel supply lines on all vehicles equipped with fuel injected engines will remain pressurized for long periods of time after engine shutdown. Fuel system pressure must be relieved prior to fuel system service to prevent possible personal injury or a fire hazard.

1. Disconnect the battery. For additional information, refer to «Section 414-01».

2. Relieve the fuel system pressure. For additional information, refer to «Section 310-00».

3. Drain the fuel tank. For additional information, refer to «Section 310-00».

4. Raise the vehicle. For additional information, refer to «Section 100-02».

µ 5. Remove the filler pipe bolt attachment and disconnect the filler pipe hose connections to the fuel tank.

µ 6. Disconnect the fuel tank electrical connector.

µ 7. Disconnect the vapor tube fitting at the left front of the fuel tank.

µ 8. Disconnect the EVAP canister tube and hose.

µ 9. Place a safety support under the fuel tank.

µ 10. Remove the front two bolts from the fuel tank support straps and swing the LH strap out of the way.

µ 11. Remove the RH fuel tank support strap bolt and remove the strap.

12. Partially lower the fuel tank and disconnect the fuel line. For additional information, refer to «Section 310-00».

µ 13. CAUTION:
The filler pipe grommet must be removed prior to removing the fuel tank from the filler pipe or damage to the fill tube check valve will occur.

Cut outer edge of pipe-to-tank grommet to facilitate pipe removal and carefully remove the grommet from the fuel tank. Take care to avoid damage to the filler pipe check valve.

14. Lower and remove the fuel tank.

Installation

µ 1. CAUTION:
Lubricate the filler pipe check valve area and the tank-to-filler pipe grommet with Serfacant (Merpol) ESE-M99B144-B prior to assembly or damage to the filler pipe check valve will occur.

Note:
A new grommet must be used for the installation procedure due to its destruction during removal.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Filler Pipe

Removal

1. Remove the fuel tank. For additional information, refer to «Tank» in this section.

µ 2. Remove the bolts from the filler pipe housing.

3. Remove the bolts from the filler pipe rubber boot-to-floor pan.

4. Remove the hose attached to the upper part of the pipe.

5. Rotate the pipe downward to clear the filler pipe pocket and pull it into the trunk area.

Installation

1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.