Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

03 Mach 1 vs. 01 Bullitt

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 05:23 PM
Apollo240

Default 03 Mach 1 vs. 01 Bullitt

I have been doing slight research on the Bullitt, it seems to me that as far as looks go it is basically the same thing as the Mach 1. Well being older the Mach is a bullit with fog lights stripes on the hood, the shaker, the side stripes, and the spoiler. Obviously they are mechanically different, but that seems to really be the only major differene. How about the interior, I could not find a good pic of the Bullitt's interior but it looks jus like the inside of my 03 Mach 1. I see the minor difference in the guage cluster where it redlines eariler then the Mach but again, the motors are different so that is obvious. Any help?
Old 11-01-2006, 07:03 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 03 Mach 1 vs. 01 Bullitt

The Bullitt mustang is NOT the same as your Mach 1. All the 01 Bullitt mustang is is a limited edition mustang GT with 5 extra hp and a couple of very slight performance improving bits. They are rated at 265bhp.......to the Mach 1's 310bhp. But they are still very much a standard 2V 4.6, whereas your Mach sports a 4V 4.6
Old 11-02-2006, 12:37 AM
Donnie's GTS
4th Gear Member

yup, heres the short list of whats different between the bullitt and the regular. gt.

BULLITT SPECIFICATIONS

What makes a Bullitt Different

POWERTRAIN, SUSPENSION AND BRAKE COMPARISON
Bullitt GT
Front Suspension
Springs 600 lb/in. linear
(lowers car 3/4") 450 lb/in. linear
Struts 35 mm piston,
custom valved struts 32 mm piston
Stabilizer Bar 28mm tubular 26.5mm solid
Rear Suspension
Springs 250 lb/in. linear (lowers car 3/4") 210 lb/in. linear
Shocks 30 mm piston, custom valved shocks 30 mm piston
Stabilizer Bar 21 mm tubular 23 mm solid
Brakes
Front
Calipers Dual piston aluminum,
custom painted Dual piston aluminum
Disk Rotors 330 mm vented 276 mm vented
Rear
Calipers Single piston Single piston
Rotors 296 mm vented 267 mm solid
ABS/T.C. Yes Yes
Misc. Subframe connectors N/A

Engine and transmission modifications

* The new cast aluminum intake manifold has an increased runner diameter to maintain low-end torque and provide a broader power curve for increased top-end performance.
* A twin 57mm-bore throttle body replaces the GT 65 mm throttle body, allowing for quicker throttle response and increased peak flow.
* To reduce parasitic losses, the alternator pulley was increased to 66 mm and the water pump pulley was increased to 140 mm.
* The exhaust system has been retuned to increase flow approximately 20% and give the Bullitt a new distinct sound.
* All Mustang Bullitts have the new TR3650 transmission and clutch assembly that provides improved shift quality. A new 11-inch flywheel and clutch assembly have been added to increase torque capacity and reduce clutch pedal efforts.

Exterior

* Pony on grill is centered in a blacked out coral instead of chrome.
* Does not come with a spoiler.
* Brushed aluminum gas filler door.
* Molded front mud guards.
* Different Rocker Panels
* Lowered by 3/4"
* Red Brake calipers with a silver Mustang.
* Simple side scoops without the honeycomb plastic grill.
* Bullitt Badge on the left of Trunk lid.
* Rolled exhaust tips.
* Molded c-pillars sweep forward instead of straight down.

Interior

* Brushed aluminum shifter bezel.
* Brushed aluminum ball shifter ****.
* Door sills with BULLITT logo.
* Retro dash has white lighting and closely indexed speedometer.
* Seats are stitched to replicate the style from the 60's..
* New stainless steel pedal covers are positioned to provide better heel-to-toe relationship
Old 11-02-2006, 01:15 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

HaHa[8D]

Still, the guy was a "wee" bit misguided thinking his Mach 1 was just a gussied up Bullitt......that was the point I was trying to make.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:20 PM
Apollo240

Thank you, I just thought since the Bullitt has the same side rear windows as the Mach and the same dash, shifter and it looked like the same seats. That is what made me think my Mach is just a newer Bullitt with Cobra motor, the few same visual pieces.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:38 PM
bullittproof01
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ThisBlood147
All the 01 Bullitt mustang is is a limited edition mustang GT with 5 extra hp and a couple of very slight performance improving bits.
haha, wow! this guy knows his stuff
Old 11-02-2006, 04:51 PM
Donnie's GTS
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Apollo240

Thank you, I just thought since the Bullitt has the same side rear windows as the Mach and the same dash, shifter and it looked like the same seats. That is what made me think my Mach is just a newer Bullitt with Cobra motor, the few same visual pieces.
yea, so the conclusion is a mch is is just a regular gt with 4v heads, and a shaker, and some minor interior improvments, thats it.[&:]
Old 11-03-2006, 06:18 PM
1fstmach
2nd Gear Member

Solid Axle Cobra w/o blower

Thats a MACH 1

With the heritage styling to pay homage to the older Mach's

The 4.6L V-8 is a combination of SVT Cobra and Mach-specific components--less the supercharger, of course. Cold-air intake is functional.

is a unique version of Ford's 32-valve cast-iron block/aluminum-head 4.6L DOHC V-8. This is the same one used in the 390-hp Cobra, but without supercharged assistance. Ensuring that the Mach motor breathes properly is a functional scoop that mounts squarely atop the intake manifold and pokes through a cutout in the special plastic hood. Talk about heritage: The Mustang team says the new scoop is made on the same tooling as the '60s originals

This ram-air scoop ducts the charge forward into the air cleaner and through a twin-bore 57mm throttle body. From there, it's a quick trip into a set of high-flow four-valve heads packing the 5.4L DOHC V-8's intake camshaft and its own high-performance exhaust cam. A special set of exhaust manifolds, resonators, mufflers, and polished tips let the Mach speak its own distinctive boom and burble.
Take your choice between the standard five-speed manual and a four-speed automatic with beefed-up internals. As noted, our tester was a stick, and the reward was a slick gate that proved easy to negotiate, along with a relatively light clutch (considering the torque being transmitted). Like the Cobra, the live rear axle has 3.55 gears. Combined with a 0.62:1 fifth gear, that means relaxed 1700-2000-rpm freeway cruising. The EPA numbers are 17 city and a respectable 25 on the highway

The Mach's ride is sporty, well balanced, and everyday friendly. To properly tune the chassis for the extra power and engine-mass increase, the car sits a quarter-inch lower than its GT sibling. Its roll stiffness has been increased via higher-rate springs, while retaining the GT's 26.5mm front and 23mm rear anti-roll bars. The team also fitted higher-performance, gas-pressurized Tokico struts and shocks for better wheel control on rough surfaces. "It tends to be a bit more tied down," offers the Mustang chief. "It's like the difference between a base 3 Series BMW and an M3." We agree that this state of tune is right on for the street-minded enthusiast driver.

advertisement

The Mustang's power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering benefits from a stiffer Cobra-spec intermediate shaft, which translates to quicker chassis responses. The desire was crisper turn-in and better on- and off-center feel. The rack does respond quickly, but the extra heft of this engine's cast-iron block was fairly obvious as we wove through the cones in our slalom test. Recall that the naturally aspirated Cobra engine was originally all aluminum, so this is a bit of a step back. To enhance stopping power, the team fitted the Cobra's excellent 13-in. Brembo rotors and twin-piston calipers in front; out back are 11.6-in. vented discs squeezed by single-piston calipers. It all combined for a best 60-0 stop of just 119 ft, despite what looked and felt like lots more nose dive than usual. These brakes had no trouble shrugging off several 100-plus-mph acceleration runs without a trace of fade.

Some of the other Mach model goodies are "comfort weave" leather buckets, unique gauge faces, a polished-aluminum shifter handle (with an aluminum trim ring on the shifter boot), and optional metal-trimmed pedals. The seats are a terrific styling element that are supportive and look similar to the originals in a '70 Mach 1. The Mach's instrumentation does a great job of imitating the dark cluster graphics in the old car. But what was difficult to read in 1970 is nearly as tough in 2003

The other retro cue that falls short are the 17x8.0-in. nouveaux "Magnum 500" wheels. They don't even come close to looking as cool as the authentic chromed steel Mag 500s on the original; we blame the lack of rim offset (depth). Unfortunately, the rim depth required for that "deep dish" look would've caused steering kickback problems, according to Ford Engineering.

advertisement

Unlike most other limited-production models, the Mach 1 is available in several different shades: yellow, black, white, red, blue, and a dark-gray metallic. The factory guys say they're set to build 7500 of these attention-grabbing coupes--with 5900 orders already posted. The good news is that more production can be had, if necessary. We also feel the fully equipped, sub-$30K price point is fine.

As any enthusiast who ever lifted a hood knows, Ford's current generation of computer-managed, injection-fed modular V-8s are well mannered and shake little at idle. Long gone are yesteryear's radical cams and over-jetted carbs that caused all that stoplight snorting and shuddering. But thanks to the new Mach 1, you can once again look across the hood, nail the throttle, and enjoy that distinctly American musclecar feeling, as the engine rocks on its mounts and the hood scoop nods its acknowledgement.

Some slices of history are worth repeating

Old 11-03-2006, 06:52 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1fstmach

The other retro cue that falls short are the 17x8.0-in. nouveaux "Magnum 500" wheels. They don't even come close to looking as cool as the authentic chromed steel Mag 500s on the original; we blame the lack of rim offset (depth). Unfortunately, the rim depth required for that "deep dish" look would've caused steering kickback problems, according to Ford Engineering.

Nice write-up. I do have to disagree with Ford's excuse for lack of commitment to the Magnum 500 rims though. Take a look................how sweet they look.

[IMG]local://upfiles/28087/FC164980567F409A81FDF1CDE24204F4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/28087/EFFF17AC659042288E9BDD24F6E79610.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-03-2006, 07:03 PM
1fstmach
2nd Gear Member

oh I know

It would be sweet to have a killer offset

Which I will just probably not a Mach 1 replica wheel, I am getting something totally off the wall

Quick Reply: 03 Mach 1 vs. 01 Bullitt