Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 GT battery draw and battery dies in 2 days with car off

Old 11-26-2006, 05:40 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Default 06 GT battery draw and battery dies in 2 days with car off

Hello,
This is my first post to mustangforums.com! I have a 06 GT with Eleanor bodykit and all GT500 badges and emblems. I have just recently noticed for the past 2 months that when I don't start or drive the car the battery will die in a matter of days. I have had the battery tested under load and it checks out just fine. I had the charging system checked as well and the alternator works well under load and at idle as well. I have done no mods to the electrical system except for sequentails and they use the factory wiring harness that is plug and play. I was on mustangevolution.com and mustanggtgirl05 has had the same problem for a year now as well (she has had the car for 2 yearsand only 6000 miles). She has had the battery, alternator ,and smart junction box replaced through Ford and still has the same problem. I store the car in the winter for 6 months and just started that in November. The car has 1700 miles on it and was made in March of 06 and I have heard that if the car is not driven enough to put a full charge on the battery that the battery will have current draw from the computer,radio,and security system. I understand that could kill the battery but it would take up to 30 days (according to a GM engineer). Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know of a TSB for the problem or a recall? I use the car for show and to put a fix on the car through winter until I can get the car in for warranty work I am going to run a battery tender through the winter and start the car for 30 minutes once every 2 weeks. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
Old 11-26-2006, 10:47 AM
saltzy
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 06 GT battery draw and battery dies in 2 days with car off

Someone here found a random current draw from the CD changer if the Shaker radio is on when you shut the car off. This wasn't the typical draw to keep your station presets--it was significant enough to drain the battery in short order. There haven't been any TSBs or other guaranteed fixes from Ford that have been made known yet. The thread was within the last week or so, IIRC.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:25 AM
madmike
1st Gear Member

I store my GT in the garage during the winter months also. Had the battery go dead on one occasion, now I start her twice a week, back out of the garage and let her warm up to full operating temp. In addition, I make sure the "skipper" 1000 is off before shutting her down and I don't activate the alarm while she's parked, it's worked for me so far.

Old 11-26-2006, 11:31 AM
mail906
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: madmike

In addition, I make sure the "skipper" 1000 is off before shutting her down and I don't activate the alarm while she's parked, it's worked for me so far.
Do you know if the alarm was activated or if the radio was left on in the one situation where your battery died?

I have not had this problem. In my case, I shut the radio off, and I do not activate the alarm when it is garaged. This is going to be my first winter with it so I do not have much experience yet.

To any Ford employees/engineers out there - where is Ford on this? It's obviously a problem. Are they looking at it? Any TSB forthcoming?

Thanks.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:47 AM
madmike
1st Gear Member

Yes to both. After reading of simular problems by other Forum members I started the twice a week start up's.
Went on vacation in October for 2 weeks, came back and half expected the battery to be dead, but she "fired up" on the first turn of the key.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:58 AM
freefallpat
3rd Gear Member

Hi mygt500

read this.

https://mustangforums.com/m_2281696/tm.htm

If you have an amp meter, give it a try. The problem is actually pretty easy to duplicate.

Pat

ORIGINAL: mygt500

Hello,
This is my first post to mustangforums.com! I have a 06 GT with Eleanor bodykit and all GT500 badges and emblems. I have just recently noticed for the past 2 months that when I don't start or drive the car the battery will die in a matter of days. I have had the battery tested under load and it checks out just fine. I had the charging system checked as well and the alternator works well under load and at idle as well. I have done no mods to the electrical system except for sequentails and they use the factory wiring harness that is plug and play. I was on mustangevolution.com and mustanggtgirl05 has had the same problem for a year now as well (she has had the car for 2 yearsand only 6000 miles). She has had the battery, alternator ,and smart junction box replaced through Ford and still has the same problem. I store the car in the winter for 6 months and just started that in November. The car has 1700 miles on it and was made in March of 06 and I have heard that if the car is not driven enough to put a full charge on the battery that the battery will have current draw from the computer,radio,and security system. I understand that could kill the battery but it would take up to 30 days (according to a GM engineer). Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know of a TSB for the problem or a recall? I use the car for show and to put a fix on the car through winter until I can get the car in for warranty work I am going to run a battery tender through the winter and start the car for 30 minutes once every 2 weeks. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
Old 11-26-2006, 01:10 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Why is telling us you have a body kit and bogus badging on the car revellant to your dead battery story?

As far as your problem, it's the radio.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:27 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hawgman

Why is telling us you have a body kit and bogus badging on the car revellant to your dead battery story?

I was wondering the same thing.... lol.

Check to make sure you dont leave anything plugged into the cigarette lighters since they draw constant power even when the vehicle is off. If thats not the problem bet on the radio.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:52 PM
BHRS
1st Gear Member

If you cannot solve the problem, buy a Battery Tender. This will keep your battery fully charged. If there is a draw on the system and battery voltage goes down, this will put a slow charge into the battery to bring it back up to full. Check your local auto parts store. Most are used with ATV's, boat's, and Classic Cars that are stored most of the time. I have one and it works great.....
Old 11-26-2006, 01:57 PM
freefallpat
3rd Gear Member

C'mon hawgman! We all know a body kit adds HP. That HP puts and extra load on the alternator and battery! gee....

ORIGINAL: hawgman

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 06 GT battery draw and battery dies in 2 days with car off