Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Old 11-22-2006, 02:59 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Default 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

I own a 2007 Mustang V6 Pony.
I've already had the dealer attempt to fix the problem by replacing both front strut assemblies including the strut bearings at 1200 miles ;-), (great dealer! They gave it a shot and tried to fix it at least and I didn't even buy the car from them.) Covered it under warranty of course.

The problem is an anoying thunking noise coming from the front end suspension when going over small humps or bumps in the road at low speeds. Say 1 to 45 MPH. It's a subtle dull metalic 'thunk' that comes through loud enough to disturb my idea of a quiet ride and anyone who can discern between regular road noise and suspension noise can tell something strange is going on.

I and my mechanic both drove two other pony's and they make the same sound. It seems to me that Ford would or should have set it up so the darn front suspension isn't so bloody loud in the first place as you can hear everything the road has to offer!

It seems that the thunking noise is common even though when you drive a new near 0 miles stang you can hardly hear it, in fact it's not audible at all from what I recall. After a few hundred miles though, thunk, thunk, thunk, thunk,,,every bloody bump or ripple in the road. The thunk isn't real loud but it's noticeable and if you pay attention to it too much it will agrivate the crap out of you.
The GT's do it too but it's a bit less noticeable.

Has anyone noticed this thunking sound in their '06 / '07 stangs?
I'm really curious as to if you do/did and what you did about it.

Just so you know, the front end has been thoroughly inspected/re-torqued and all that jazz. Like I said in the beginning, both left and right front struts have been replaced including the bearings.

Now one thing. The bearings do have just a tiny bit of vertical play in them. Anywhere from 1mm to say 3mm. This is stock. They say 'and it makes sense' that the spring load up against the bearing will keep that little bit of play from being a problem. I tend to disagree in that when the vehicles weight is on them plus the pre-compressed weight which has to be at least a couple hundred pounds or pressure pushing against the bearing keeping the bottom rotator pressed up against the bearings,,,should keep it from rattling or thunking. I am still willing to try some aftermarket strut bearings that have no play and see if the thunking noise abates 'goes away for you lamen ;-)'.

The only other thing it could be is something in the body cavities is lose and or the cavities tend to amplify this particular frequency of sound. When you sit in the passenger side when someone else is driving (in this case it was my mechanic during our test drives) the sound is less obvious. Not much but it is less. Weird!

Anyway, I decided to live with it. I like the car so much! It rides great, gets it for a V6 (a lot like the old 289 2bbl stang I had) and it sounds like a small block V8 too. That is until one throws in a cat back exhaust system then it will sound like any other V6 with duals.
If I do add a cat back dual exhaust, it will be a cat back X pipe exhaust with tuned and quiet (sleeper) mufflers on the end. I don't need loud, just good exhaust flow when I have my foot in it. Yes I'll probably reprogram the MCU too and add a cold air intake. Why not. Better power, better gas mileage and a stang should be all it can be anyway.

Still the V6's power is enough for me. I could use another 90 HP as the 4.6 V8 produces but hey, it's only 90 more HP and I don't need it anyway. Don't need the extra weight or the lower gas mileage. Geesh, I have my foot in my 6 banger enough as it is! As anyone should know, the V6 is capable of up to 350HP with a blower on it. More if you dual turbo it but then you have to rebuild the engine to handle it not to mention the transmission. Stock, with what one has on hand, one can increase it's power to around 250 RWHP or more.
That's plenty for a light car as it is.

I didnt' buy it to race tini-boppers or to be able to say "who has the baddest stang in Virginia?". Those testosterone laden high school days are long gone. I like it because it's stylish, takes me back to the good ol' days and IMHO, it's a REAL MUSTANG! The retro's closed me. I never liked the almost rice burner FOX etc. body's. To me they are just cars with Mustang tatoo'd on them! I own a REAL Mustang. The REAL MUSTANGS ARE BACK!

So has anyone had the same thunking noise coming from their front end on the late model stangs? Sure would like to know what the fix is before I take the time and money to figure it out on my own.

Thanks!
Wolfey
Old 11-29-2006, 04:14 AM
casperorr
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Hello,
I am a new member and have a 2007 GT. I just posted a message concerning this very problem. I also have this happening to my 2007 GT. I have an appointment with the dealer in a couple days. My car only has 65 miles on it. When making the appointment, the service manager told me that this is normal for some of the Mustangs. But you would think that building a 30,000 dollar car that Ford would at least have a quiet suspension. Can you help me with any information before my GT goes in for the appointment? Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you,
Casper
Old 11-29-2006, 05:17 AM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Hi Casper.
Just happened to check my email before hitting the sack.
Your GT is making that annoying Thunking noise eh?
I drove two GT's after I baught my 4.0 pony and they made that noise too but it was much more subtle.
However, I think they all do it but not so much until after you've put some miles on them.
It also seems that most people are oblivious to this problem. Guess they just accept that the front suspension is loud.
However, I have been thinking this over for some time now as when I drive my stang I am painfully reminded of it.
I think it's the strut bearings. Replacing them won't get rid of the problem because there is around 1 to 2mm of vertical play in the strut bearing. The mech's say that this is not a problem due to the fact that the spring pressure against it keeps enough up force on the bearing to keep it from rattling. The weight of the car would contribute to this also hence the thunking noise you hear isn't as loud as it is on the lighter 6 bangers.
The problem is inherrant in the stinking strut bearing and Ford won't acknowledge this. At least not so far.
If enough of us complain about it, then Ford will eventually take action, investigate and come out with a TSB for the fix.
One other guy that has been trying to fix his problem says he thinks he's narrowed it down to the A-Arms which are the lower control arms. I suggested that the bushings are fused to them and there is now way they would be rattling or thunking like that.
Could be something lose in the body or engine compartment too but I have looked into this and found nothing wrong.
There IS something wrong. Not necessarily lose but wrong.
I think the thunking is due to the slack in the bearing during non-damped suspension movement. This would be a moment when the suspension only flexes very slightly, I mean less than a 1/8th or 1/10th inch as when one is going over tiny ripples / bumps in the road as slow to moderate speeds.
The best way to find out where the slop is, is for Ford to simulate road conditions similar to that of when the problems crops up and fix the problem.
You are right. Spending the sort of money we have on our rides, Ford should be ashamed of themselves to allow such a simple yet annoying problem to exist much less persist.
I have already had the mech's at my Ford dealer take their shot in the dark. They replaced both strust assemblies including strut bearings and the problem didn't go away.
Just because Ford may say that this is a common problem doesn't mean there's nothing they can do about it.
Ticks me off when the say crap like that. It's just down right stupid think in my opinion.
For every effect, there is a cause. They have chosen to ignore it and allow this flaw to be incorporated into all the stangs. The number crunchers probably said it's cheaper to ignore than to do otherwise.
But do tell me of your mech's manage to get rid of the problem. Tell me what they did to fix it.
Keep in touch on this as I and one other guy are very interested in solving this annoying Thunking noise too.

Good luck!
Wolfey
Old 11-29-2006, 07:18 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wolfey2k

It also seems that most people are oblivious to this problem. Guess they just accept that the front suspension is loud.
That could be it or maybe most people don't have this problem. Just a thought.

Old 11-29-2006, 08:09 AM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

The thunking sound your hearing is not limited to the 07's.

This issue goes all the way back to the 05's.

The issue is the front sway bar, rod ends and the attachment to the front struts. The the thunking sound your hearing is probably coming from the passenger side front area.

The only way I was able to get rid of the sound was to install a BMR Front Sway Bar and Radiator Support Kit.

Like you, when I first heard the sound I about crapped my pants thinking that the front right strut was toast and would need replacement.

But since I was trying to go for better weight transfer to the back tires I removed the front sway bar. Lo and behold the thunking sound dissapeared and hasnt been back since...........almost a year now.

If you remove the front sway bar the thunking sound will go away.

I did install a dual Strut Tower Brace to tighten the front end up. The GT performs very well in turns.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:15 PM
sandy
2nd Gear Member

I have an 06 GT and had the exact same problem. I took it to my ford dealer and after test driving it, the service guy said it was supposed to sound like that. I said no way, so they took an 07 off the lot and took me for a ride in it. Low and behold, it also had the cluncking noise on low speed bumps. The dealer checked their national hot line for complaints and had none on this problem. He said that eventually when complaints came in Ford might do something about it. OK, now listen to this. I wanted to lower my stang, so I added eibach prokit springs with tokico dspec struts. Vola', the noise went away and I haven't heard it since. This tells me the problem is in the factory strut/springs assembly and Ford doesn't want to deal with it.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:04 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

but GT john just explained it is the swaybar. My car is lowered with the ford racing springs with stock struts and I don't hear a thunking sound. Maybe it is not noticeable on my car.

ORIGINAL: sandy

I have an 06 GT and had the exact same problem. I took it to my ford dealer and after test driving it, the service guy said it was supposed to sound like that. I said no way, so they took an 07 off the lot and took me for a ride in it. Low and behold, it also had the cluncking noise on low speed bumps. The dealer checked their national hot line for complaints and had none on this problem. He said that eventually when complaints came in Ford might do something about it. OK, now listen to this. I wanted to lower my stang, so I added eibach prokit springs with tokico dspec struts. Vola', the noise went away and I haven't heard it since. This tells me the problem is in the factory strut/springs assembly and Ford doesn't want to deal with it.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:28 PM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

I have an 05 also it has made the noise since I got it, I never took it to the dealer because like everybody states there is no fix.. I agree everyone of us should call the 800 number and complain, there is no excuse for this problem, they can come up with a fix if they wanted to. I'm going to call today!!!!!
Old 11-30-2006, 01:19 AM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

Not that Ford shouldn't fix this, but if it happens on my car (haven't heard it yet, but only about 300 miles on the car) I think I'll just go with after market sway bars and bushings. Fixes the problem and improves handling. Again, not that Ford shouldn't make it right, but sway bars are relatively inexpensive and it'd be all the excuse I'd need for the mod.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:40 PM
Joes06Stang

I also have a 2006 Mustang with 17,000 miles on it. It is a sharp car but the low speed noise on roads with strips cracks or even hitting the end of my driveway sends me through the roof. Sounds like a Chrysler mini van with 80,000 miles on it with bad struts. My dealer has done a nice job in in handling me but can't fix it. The last time it was in for 10 days and after replacing the front struts and stabilizing links guess what???? It is still there!!! They brought a rep From ford and although they all hear it they can't do anything else with it. I own a 73 Corvette that is almost 34 years old and puts the Mustang to shame in the rattle and noise department. I can live with the small dash rattles and the headliner....tap on it with your hand as your going down the road. I love the car but want this front end fixed!!!!!!!!! Let me know if any of you get an answer from Ford.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise