Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base Radio vs. Shaker 500

Old 02-26-2007, 04:17 PM
mrluckycharm00
1st Gear Member

Default Base Radio vs. Shaker 500

Well I'm just about ready to order a new '07 GT. The problem is I'm not sure if I want the premium or the deluxe model. I can get leather either way, but I'm wondering about the audio system. I believe the Shaker comes with 8 speakers. How many does the basic cd player come with? If it's less than 8, are all of the speaker cutouts still present so one could put in a set of speakers without cutting up a new car? Eventually everything will be replaced with a double DIN dvd player and aftermarket speakers, but this question is killing me. The dealer over here in Germany can't help either because all they have is cars with the Shaker system.

Thanks for your input
Old 02-26-2007, 05:00 PM
05 Mustang GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Base Radio vs. Shaker 500

I have an 05 GT with the shaker 500 system and yes there are 8 speakers if you want to count the doors speakers as 2. They are similar to the old Mach 460 speakers that have a mid and tweeter installed on one plate. There are a number of posts about the quality of the shaker 500 and speakers, if you intend to change everything out down the road you would probably be further ahead to just get the base radio. However with the base radio I dont believe they have the cutoutsfor the door subs so you would have to cut the door panels if you want to install subs in the doors.I replaced the door and rear deck speakers with Polks, but left the factory subs in the door due to impedance issues, big improvemement in sound. The sound from the factory with the shaker 500 isn't bad, and whenever the weather permits I have the windows down as the exhaust note is sweeter.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:12 PM
Feng Houzi
3rd Gear Member

i dont think the "regular" stereo comes with the space for the subs in the door... that just for the shaker... Meaning that the "regular" stereo only has 6 speakers... Just a guess though...
Old 02-26-2007, 06:03 PM
thxultra
2nd Gear Member

Even if you are going to upgrade in the future get the shaker just for the sealed enclosures in the doors. As for the shaker its self it leaves a lot to be desired. I think the highs are muffeled and the bass isn't very clean. It is ok for a factory system but nothing too impressive.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:33 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

+1

I have the Base Radio, Just AM\FM\CD does not play MP3 and I do not have the holes for the 6" door woofers. I upgraded to a Pioneer AVIC-D1 Navigation\AM\FM\MP3\DVD\XM Better than than the Shaker IMO.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:55 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

I had the stock cd player in my 02 GT, I'm still mad I didnt choke up the grand for the mach 1000 [:@]if not for the resale value
Old 02-26-2007, 07:56 PM
dborne
1st Gear Member

i have the base system and plan of changing everything out and as far as subs go, thats what i have a trunk for
Old 02-26-2007, 08:48 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

I have the base setup and like it. Nothing is muffled but I like the sound of the exhaust better than the music out there. If your set on changing why pay for the Shaker. Professional will mount speakers wearever you want anyway.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:04 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

I've been into the "aftermarket head unit" for years until I realized why be scared to park your car in normal spaces for fear some crackhead will knock out your window ($$$$) to take your radio ($$$$) only to save like a couple hundred bucks on the front end....I payed what a grand for the shaker 1000 and guess what
crackheads dont want oem radios, and I got the satellite standard
Old 02-26-2007, 09:41 PM
spooky
2nd Gear Member

get the base radio and then add aftermarket speakers, etc. later. the Shaker systems have a problem with playing continuous songs back to back. in other words, the cd player will stop and break after each song and it's very annoying. i've also heard and read numerous complaints about Shaker systems skipping in generaland not being able to play CD's that you burned from computer, etc.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Base Radio vs. Shaker 500