Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Old 04-01-2007, 10:34 PM
john6974

Default Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Got my new GT yesterday and today the tire pressure monitoring system started coming on. I checked the air pressure and they were all pretty close to 32psi as recomended. Inflated all tires to 32psi, Light still coming on. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 04-02-2007, 12:14 AM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Mine came on after I had the battery disconnected. But after I drove it about a mile, everything cleared itself. I looked into the books and if everything is right as far as tire pressure and it doesn't clear itself, go to the dealer, they will have to fix it. I'm 99% sure there isn't one in the spare to worry about because if you read the manual, it says the light will come on when you are running on the doughnut and should clear once you get the right wheels back on.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:54 AM
kastigar
1st Gear Member

did you have anything other than factory wheels put on it? maybe the sensors in the tires are not there.

when i bought a set of wheels to put snow tires on, the alarm went off every time i started the car because i didn't get sensors in them. hitting reset became automatic this winter.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:34 AM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

new here.. jsut to let everyone know.. but anyways..

i work at discount tire.. those things suck... my parents have cars wtiht them.. they are allways gettin fixed..

the best thing to do, is take it to a tire shop (prefferably discount tire b/c they do free air checks) and then go home, park your car in your garage or shaded area, and let the tires cool off, (you tire pressure acutally increases from the heat after driving for a while) then read in your manual about how to reset your TPMS.. on the newer Chevy's i know this has to be done WHILE inflating tires.. (you set up ur computer to reset TPMS and then u inflate to certain pressure.. then the car automatically honks to let oyu know to stop, then you deflate it till it beepes again.. and you do that for each tire..) and then on some cars, you just have some one sit in the drivers seat and wait for the light to come off while changing pressure.. etc.. jsut read ur manual first.. or take it to discount and pay them a small fee and they willl take care of it all for you..

hope this helps.. -B.F.D.M.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:37 AM
07mustanggt
2nd Gear Member

got 18s on my car and the aps on the stock 17s wont fit on the new wheels...anyone know where to get aftermarket ones? please pm me if you know anything about this...thanks
Old 04-02-2007, 01:45 AM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

i am going to PM this response to you, but for anyone else..

take you wheels (installed or not), to Discount, what they can do, is they set you up with ur stock TPMS's but in a different application..

this is how they do it..

they remove your TPM from the valve slot, and refplace it wiht a normal valve.. then they take a hose calmp, and a housing that attatches to the hose clamp which hold the TPM in it... this gets wrapped around the barrel of the wheel, and sits in your tire and still workes the same, except you wont see it or know its there..

we do this alot for ppl that get aftermarkets and keep their TMPS.. cant tell what it will cost you for labour and materials.. but they will help you out for sure..

-B.F.D.M.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:43 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I dunno, I want the little input plug for the portable stereo but now I am thinking that might be too high a hassle to have to deal with all the probs from the TPMS on new Mustangs!
Old 04-02-2007, 11:49 AM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GTstangB.F.D.M.

they remove your TPM from the valve slot, and refplace it wiht a normal valve.. then they take a hose calmp, and a housing that attatches to the hose clamp which hold the TPM in it... this gets wrapped around the barrel of the wheel, and sits in your tire and still workes the same, except you wont see it or know its there..

-B.F.D.M.

That works great for the GM's but on the new Mustangs, the TPMS isn't in the tire valve. It is mounted to the rim 180 out from the valve stem with a large band strap. Bascially you have to get a new band to re-mount the sensor. If you have 18's I'd see how much Ford wants for them since the 07's had optional 18's I wouldn't think a set wouldcost more than $50 but who knows with dealer prices.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:37 AM
kastigar
1st Gear Member

i want to say when i was looking at tirerack for a set of new wheels it was like $400 for a set of 4 tpms on top of the wheel and tire prices...
Old 04-03-2007, 01:59 AM
srstang

ORIGINAL: stangdude81

ORIGINAL: GTstangB.F.D.M.

-B.F.D.M.

That works great for the GM's but on the new Mustangs, the TPMS isn't in the tire valve. It is mounted to the rim 180 out from the valve stem with a large band strap. Bascially you have to get a new band to re-mount the sensor. If you have 18's I'd see how much Ford wants for them since the 07's had optional 18's I wouldn't think a set wouldcost more than $50 but who knows with dealer prices.
Agree. I have a GM with the valve mounted sensors (never had problems with them). And they do not require filling the tire while programming. They use a large magnet over the valve stem area to reset that sensor during programming mode and the system confirms that sensor's signal with a horn honk.

The Ford system uses straps around the inside of the rim. As per the manual, if the light stays on with proper inflation pressure (and no spare in use) then the dealer needs to service the system. It's quite possible that one of the sensors is faulty and may need to be replaced, or the receiver is acting up. Either way it's a simple fix.

BTW, from what I've read the system is programmed to turn the warning light on when the pressure drops below ~ 26 psi so it's clear you're nowhere near that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitoring System