Notices
3.7L V6 S550 Tech 2015 - 2017 This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

The V6 Mustang Needs To Die

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 11:34 AM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cbdallas
Price, sound, and insurance were all considerations when I made the decision to go with the 3.7. I drove a V-6 and an Ecoboost back-to-back, and while the 2.3 had good punch, in typical turbo fashion, you have to wait a tick or two for it. One big selling point for the V-6: The salesman remote-started them both while I was standing next to them, and the V-6 definitely wins the sound contest.

I sold my Focus ST a few months ago, so I'm familiar with the advantages and drawbacks of smaller, turbocharged engines. I decided to go with an automatic this time around, as my commute got a lot worse with the new job. The wait time for power to come on with a turbo lengthens slightly when you're waiting for an automatic transmission to react. Taking manual control of the transmission helps with this, but I don't want to drive around in manual mode all the time.

As for the lack of direct injection, I find myself glad it doesn't have it. At least this engine won't be suffering from intake valve contamination.

It's a sad reality that the 3.7 may be on its way out. This car is a tremendous value, but I do wish it offered some of the same options they have on the Ecoboost. The power driver's seat would've been nice....the manual backrest rake adjustment has too much of a gap between the available positions. Other than that, this car is fantastic.

That's a valid point and I understand why someone would choose a 6. But with modern emissions regs especially with the mustang being a global platform some changes had to happen. The 4 banger makes the most sense for Europe it's way cheaper on tax and environmental fees than a v8 and insurance and fuel which is expensive there plus Ford HAS to have the low end motors to offset which is why v8s are rapidly disappearing in the other product lines. Now that said the core customers like America and Australia won't stand for a v8 removal so the 6 was the odd man out. It's buyer base was dwindling. Also the ecoboost appealed to a lot of import guys and I know several who converted to get one. Then you have the v8 for us classic muscle guys. There once was a valid place for the 6 but I just reallky think that time has passed.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:29 PM
TBuckTex

I agree that that was the thinking, but from my point of view, not right. Tax and environmental fee better probably, but more weight, same HP, same MPG, so no real value to go to 4. Value for the 6 is that you do not have turbo lag and expense, adjustment, etc. issues that you face. Easier to fix, maintain and modify than the 4. If they had to go turbo, I would have loved to see a turbo/super V6!
Old 08-24-2018, 01:44 AM
OlPal
2nd Gear Member

Cool

Originally Posted by pascal
It always go back to test driving the car you're interested in vs basing your opinion on ignorant writers.
When we bought our Fusion, I tried all the models sporting the different engines and while the 2.0L EB isn't a furious beast, it is the best mill and it moves that car quite nicely so that was the winner.
I didn't know Mexico was putting V-6's in their cars for you to fairly compare them !!