Notices
3.7L V6 S550 Tech 2015 - 2017 This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

The V6 Mustang Needs To Die

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 12:09 PM
Prodgers32

Fact is there is no better car for around 25K then the 2015 V-6 6 speed -I looked and drove them all and the 2015 Mustang won hands down -Nuff Said
Old 09-02-2015, 02:37 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Prodgers32
Fact is there is no better car for around 25K then the 2015 V-6 6 speed -I looked and drove them all and the 2015 Mustang won hands down -Nuff Said
It does indeed seem to be a great value, and it also seems that for Ford to offer a premium would increase possible sales, with none to very little increased expense.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:19 AM
MustangInTexas
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AK_Kayaker
It does indeed seem to be a great value, and it also seems that for Ford to offer a premium would increase possible sales, with none to very little increased expense.
But that would take sales away from the EB which is what Ford is pushing now. It's not really looking like the V6 Mustang will be with us for all that much longer. I'm not saying it's time for it to go but it does look like Ford's giving it the slow boot.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:21 PM
TBuckTex

This guy is just a minion for Ford. I loved my V6 and would have bought another if I could have had ANY options at all in a 2015. The rear gear is the only one you can get. I had my 2005 through 10 years to the day and 148,000 miles and loved every second of it. Ford has decided to make the V6 a fleet car for now and then kill it for that stupid turbo 4 which I would not own. I got lucky and found a nice 2011 5.0 with only 24k miles on it last month and that is what I have now. I have no idea what this writer knows but what he wrote about a V6 is just trash. If ford had gotten smart they would have put a turbo/super V6 in the new Mustang, not that engine that goes in a Fusion or Focus.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:48 PM
letmepicyou

Default Can I list my WISH for the Mustang engine lineup?

This is my dream. These are the 3 engines I want to see in the Mustang.

1. The Ecoboost 4 the 2015 now has, at the bottom end.

2. The Ecoboost 6 the SHO and F150 Alumatruck has, has a midrange choice.

3. A 5.0 Liter Ecoboost V8. That's right. Take the current 5.0 mil, strap a pair of factory turbos on it, direct inject it, in other words give the 5.0 the Ecoboost treatment. That should be good for, what, 500 ponies easy? This would of course be the top choice.

Hello? Ford? An all Ecoboost Mustang lineup? *taps on mic* Is this thing on?
Old 09-03-2015, 09:25 PM
ronnie948

Default This guy is a bunch of crap

Apparently Jonathon Klein is an idiot. The 3.7 Cyclone engine is a great power source for a Mustang. It is not "HEAVY" like he is trying to say. My 2012 is 305 horsepower and turned 13.3 in the quarter and still got 30 MPG on my vacation trip from Florida to Maplegrove Drag Strip in Pennsylvania and back. Of course I had to install Magnaflow street axleback mufflers to get my V6 to sound right. An Airaid cold air intake and it runs great and is fast, Good looking and handles great. I pay 1/2 the cost I would have to pay for insurance on a V8. I get better MPG and way less on maintenance.
This guy may not like the V6 because he is a closed minded person that only likes what he likes without taking facts into consideration at all.
The four cylinder is fine if that's what you want. The V8 is truly great and the 3.7 V6 is just a very good engine with more power then you really need. It is as good as the 4 or 8 any day of the century.
Jonathon Klein probably does not own any Mustang so his stupid opinion does not mean a thing to me. I'm on my fourth Mustang and this V6 Cyclone is the best I have owned.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:50 AM
Pr0cl1v1ty
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ronnie948
Apparently Jonathon Klein is an idiot. The 3.7 Cyclone engine is a great power source for a Mustang. It is not "HEAVY" like he is trying to say. My 2012 is 305 horsepower and turned 13.3 in the quarter and still got 30 MPG on my vacation trip from Florida to Maplegrove Drag Strip in Pennsylvania and back. Of course I had to install Magnaflow street axleback mufflers to get my V6 to sound right. An Airaid cold air intake and it runs great and is fast, Good looking and handles great. I pay 1/2 the cost I would have to pay for insurance on a V8. I get better MPG and way less on maintenance.
This guy may not like the V6 because he is a closed minded person that only likes what he likes without taking facts into consideration at all.
The four cylinder is fine if that's what you want. The V8 is truly great and the 3.7 V6 is just a very good engine with more power then you really need. It is as good as the 4 or 8 any day of the century.
Jonathon Klein probably does not own any Mustang so his stupid opinion does not mean a thing to me. I'm on my fourth Mustang and this V6 Cyclone is the best I have owned.
Amen. Well put.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:40 AM
stangs-R-me

Thanks to you and others for saving me writing time ... pretty much what I would have said too.

Instead of the V6, this writer needs to DIE ... or just go away !!

If the guy were referring to the prior S197 4.0L or the SN-95 3.8/3.9L, I'd agree with him to a point as I owned 3 SN-95's and drove a S197 as a rental for a couple of days.

But the 3.7L was developed along side the 5.0L and has all the same technologies, basically shortened by 2 cylinders. When Ford put the 3.7L in the Mustang in 2011, they also put factory dual exhaust and an 8.8 T-Lok with 31 Spline Axles because it was a serious upgrade from the weak 4.0L. The factory 3.7L tune even adjusts it's tune for Premium fuel just like the 5.0L de-tunes for regular using the same knock sensor technology (even though Ford does not mention it in the owners manual or any other documentation).

The 3.7L in my 2011 helps make it the best and fastest car I've ever owned. This 2011 3.7L is even faster than my mildly built '69 Mustang (approx. 350HP 351W-4BBL 4-Spd 3.50 T-Lok) and is heavier. Plus it gets better MPG's than anything I've ever owned and triple what that '69 gets. The 2011 has the 6MT and bone stock had no problem getting rubber out of 3rd gear even with the 2.73 highway gears out back. It now has an AirRaid CAI, Aluminum DS, & Bama SCT 91 Performance Tune that added both performance & MPG's. I love that '69 and have owned it since the 80's, but this 2011 is just as much to drive and has enough power to get me into similar trouble.

I've got over 110k trouble-free miles on my 2011 and will be replacing it with a 2016 next Spring ... it will be a Manual trans, but I'm still torn between staying with a V6 or going with the EB. Had a Premium EB-AT as a rental for a week and liked the improved mid-range torque vs. the V6, but my stock V6 exhaust sounds so much better. I don't care about "Premium" as the base model comes std. with most of the important features my Premium 2011 has just w/o leather which I'd prefer cloth anyway.

Doug
Old 09-05-2015, 04:43 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

But the 3.7L was developed along side the 5.0L
no, the 3.7 is a slightly-bored out 3.5 which dates back to 2006.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:50 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

My 2012 is 305 horsepower and turned 13.3 in the quarter and still got 30 MPG on my vacation trip from Florida to Maplegrove Drag Strip in Pennsylvania and back..
Not to side track this delightful little thread but what mods do you have to get the MCA down to 13.3? I hit 13.8@102 in a 2.73 geared MCA with a tune and CAI in cool fall air.

Quick Reply: The V6 Mustang Needs To Die