Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

changing gears in rear

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 05:22 PM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by discodave
Somebody's in a bad mood...... I may not have explained myself which is why you may have misunderstood me. I'm not saying that a custom tune (meaning putting your car on a Dyno and having it tuned) is not the way to go. That's definitely the best way to get your specific car tuned and probably to its max potential. What I'm saying is that "some" (not all) of the places you can get your email tunes are putting out really great tunes. What I meant by a truly canned tune is one that is loaded onto a tuner based on your year alone and doesn't take into consideration any after-market mods you've made. There are places out there that can take these things into consideration. For those who don't want to, or can't get to a Dyno, this is a good route. The reason handheld tuners are good is because you can program your car back to stock if you need to. I'm not sure how you'd do that if you had a Dyno tune, unless the person that tuned your car gave you the tune file electronically and allowed you to load it on a handheld tuner.
I understand what your saying. That's still a canned tune. That's not a custom tune. Those tuners get a car on the dyno with similar mods and use that tune as a generic piece. A dynotune you get a hand held tune with custom flashed. Meaning you get you car on the dyno, with all your specific parts, and the tuner tunes your car. Then when he finds the perfect combination, he load it to the tuner. The difference is one is tailored specifically to your car while the other is not. That's like supercharging your car and using one of those tunes with out putting it on a dyno... That's super dangerous. You don't know the A/F, timing, etc and is potentially harmful. I'm not bashing Bama, American muscle, brenspeed, VMP, etc.. I just would rather pay an additional $50 more for a custom tune done for my car. I have done both and there truely is a big difference. I'm not in a bad mood or trying to be mean. I'm just typing and I can see where my sarcasm can be taken as rude.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:06 PM
livinloud98
2nd Gear Member

I think your all missing the big picture here, the 2011 come with 2.73s because it is a 6 speed with steeper gear ratios within the transmission. Im no mathematician but this would equate to a final drive ratio being the same as a 5-speed 2010 with 3.31's Therefore when you get a 3.31 package from Ford on a 2011, it is like having 4.10's on the previous years. Putting 4.10s on the 2011 with a 6 speed manual tranny would be insane, you would be in first gear for a full second before you would need to shift.