Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

I have a ticking "lifter" on cold startup. do you?

Old 02-01-2011, 04:56 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

looks good to me lol
Old 02-01-2011, 05:48 PM
Shadow_Chaser
1st Gear Member

It's interesting that people on 'allfordmustangs' have noticed the 'squealing' in conjunction with the 'ticking'... I haven't seen anyone post that issue here... hopefully this will resolve that issue as well... it came from the engine compartment, and the belts checked out fine... guess I'll find out tomorrow.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:28 PM
LTDan
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shadow_Chaser
It's interesting that people on 'allfordmustangs' have noticed the 'squealing' in conjunction with the 'ticking'... I haven't seen anyone post that issue here... hopefully this will resolve that issue as well... it came from the engine compartment, and the belts checked out fine... guess I'll find out tomorrow.
I have the ticking, though only slightly, considering I live in a warmer area. I haven't noticed any sign of a squeal though.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:18 AM
mikemannn

meh... my roommate's b4000 (ford ranger) squeals when it's cold cold cold... i noticed the mustang did it once or twice. i wouldn't worry about it. when it's cold, stuff does werid things. all the different materials expand and contract differently and you get all kinds of noises that aren't there when it's warmer.

the clacking on the other hand..
Old 02-02-2011, 10:17 AM
koolponycar
1st Gear Member

Thumbs up NO TICK

OK, THe temp here this morning was 39F and the mustang info screen read 44F setting in the garage. I started it at 06:00AM this morning after having the repair to my cam caps yesterday and guess what: NO TICK NOISE WHAT SO EVER! I really believe this fixed it. My car sounds like when I bought it new.My Service manager called me before I got a chance to call him, to see how it was doing. We were both very happy with the results and will continue to monitor the Mustang as temps do drop. I will keep you all updated as to how my car is doing. If you have this problem find a good Service depatment and get this done, need a good master tech too. I did verify with my service manager that all they did do is cut the two slashes in each cam cap. He said there is no need in changing the oil, as they cleaned the caps and relubed them upon re-assembly. If it makes you feel better then you can change your oil. I am going to drive mine a little more before I do that. I called my customer service rep back and informed her and her supervisor of the results and thanked them for all there help working with my service manager also. I will keep you all updated as time goes on. My service rep said he belived I was the first one in the country to have this done.

Last edited by koolponycar; 02-02-2011 at 10:19 AM. Reason: add on
Old 02-02-2011, 10:35 AM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

Sounds good...thanks, and ford just called me, have my loaner, but the part will not come in until they listen to car they said.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Shadow_Chaser
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mikemannn
meh... my roommate's b4000 (ford ranger) squeals when it's cold cold cold... i noticed the mustang did it once or twice. i wouldn't worry about it. when it's cold, stuff does werid things. all the different materials expand and contract differently and you get all kinds of noises that aren't there when it's warmer.

the clacking on the other hand..
Well, the squeal is off an on... I live in SoCal so there's no worries about extremes in climate ... the last time I heard the 'squeal' was after driving the car for 1 hour, went to the store, and when I came back out (~20 mins later) I let the car idle for a bit and I could here this light 'squeal'... it lasted a few mins after I pulled out of the parking lot and on to the street... and eventually went away after I got back on the freeway... /shrug.

Anyway, good news Koolponycar, I'm getting mine done this Thursday... hopefully all goes well, *crosses fingers*
Old 02-02-2011, 01:08 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

Got my Ford Fusion Loaner, now just have to wait for them to get the tool and do my fix...man that Fusion is sweet ride..solid.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:16 AM
koolponycar
1st Gear Member

I went to work yesterday and temp was 35F. NO TICK. Got off this morning,very,very cold wind 24F and NO TICK. She is fixed. Good luck to all and let me know how your repairs go.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:50 AM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by koolponycar
I went to work yesterday and temp was 35F. NO TICK. Got off this morning,very,very cold wind 24F and NO TICK. She is fixed. Good luck to all and let me know how your repairs go.
I think the fix answers Funsters delimma...Changed Oil, got worse...so if the slashes allow more oil to flow, newer...THICKER oil, would even be worse, probably why my car why 5,000 miles on the oil not as loud, and of coarse I passed that on to the service manager to keep in mind if they don't hear much!! LOL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I have a ticking "lifter" on cold startup. do you?