Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

I have a ticking "lifter" on cold startup. do you?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 07:22 PM
Funster_2011V6
2nd Gear Member

Arrow I have (had.. Update on page 25) a ticking "lifter" on cold startup. do you?

It goes away after warm up, but it's really annoying. Think I should take it in to be checked? This happening to anyone else?

These engines use Direct Actuating Mechanical Buckets to set the valve lash, so its not an oil pressure lifter, but I think that one bucket is just a little short.

It's alot of work to pull the valve cover on this motor, and has to be checked cold which means I'd also be without my car.

I also don't want the dealer to say it's normal just so they don't have to check it.

Even if it is out of spec, the cam has to come out and the bucket replaced with a taller one, think the dealer would do nothing because of all the warranty work?

Last edited by Funster_2011V6; 04-11-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:33 PM
theACE
3rd Gear Member

I have not had this problem, I would take her in before it might turn into something else.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:50 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

ok funster......what oil did you decide on..RP?....Maybe sticking to mobile 1 not bad idea?
Old 11-28-2010, 09:18 PM
koolponycar
1st Gear Member

Hey 6+6, I have been researching different oil brands. If you go to the oil brands website you can look at the technical data numbers of the oil. Royal purple and castrol edge do not give as much numbers as the rest. Mobil 1 extended and Amsoil have good numbers and warranties. It is funny how some of the oil brands claim long interval changes, but when you check their warranty they say you have to change your oil at 6,000 miles or 6 months. Mobil 1 says 15,000 miles or 1 year. Their is also a japanese oil called Eneos made by Nippon usa. They have a dealer locator on their website or you can buy it on line. The product data sheet looks good on it, but it is about 8-9.00 a quart. I called some of the dealers and they say customers like it. I prefer to be able to go into the store and buy my oil. I am still looking and have not decided yet.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:09 AM
spitfire760
1st Gear Member

Default found this

Originally Posted by Funster_2011V6
It goes away after warm up, but it's really annoying. Think I should take it in to be checked? This happening to anyone else?

These engines use Direct Actuating Mechanical Buckets to set the valve lash, so its not an oil pressure lifter, but I think that one bucket is just a little short.

It's alot of work to pull the valve cover on this motor, and has to be checked cold which means I'd also be without my car.

I also don't want the dealer to say it's normal just so they don't have to check it.

Even if it is out of spec, the cam has to come out and the bucket replaced with a taller one, think the dealer would do nothing because of all the warranty work?

mines been doing the same thing gonna take it in soon but a lot of people are having the same issue
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...lve-cover.html

SoloBusa posted this info in a thread on allfordmustangs he got from his friend at a ford dealership
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-messages.html
Old 11-29-2010, 04:21 AM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

thanks this is some good onfo, i will have to listen to mine after get back from shop from my accident at the track in about 30 days, guess if keep radio up never hear lol...my problem?
Old 11-29-2010, 09:30 AM
Fig06
2nd Gear Member

Mine does it ! I was hoping it was just some belt slap , cuase it stops quickly .
Thanks , I guess . I hope to hell this not the dreaded head tick like in past Mustangs and Lincolns.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:56 PM
makeitblack

same here, i actually noticed it AFTER getting my oil changed at the dealership. I checked oil level ok. There is a TSB out on it, ive read around on other forums. Ford says it wont do damage to the engine, and as of right now there is no fix. Same as you, only on cold start then it goes away. This isn't completely new for me.. my past GM car did this "normally" so i havent worried to much. See what ford comes up with for a fix, but it might be another month or two
Old 11-29-2010, 02:06 PM
snaf2u
2nd Gear Member

Guess I`m lucky. No such problem yet.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:00 PM
Funster_2011V6
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the link, guys! I feel better about it now. I did schedule an appointment for tomorrow before I read this, but Im still going to drop it off just for giggles.

6+6, lol about the oil. Actually, I decided not to go with the RP because of the SL rating having additives that might hurt the cats. After some research on bitog.com I went with penzoil ultra.

Quick Reply: I have a ticking "lifter" on cold startup. do you?