Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Any regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 12:50 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Yep, pretty much a ditto. Already decided from the last response, but I´ll toss in my 2 cents as well. They´ve gotten the base idea of the mustang back in order driving and power wise even on the basic v6 model, can´t say that about some of the previous year´s. Not a truly head smacking coulda-had-a-v8 choice in any of the models to choose from ATM.

I´m still of the ilk that I want it to pick-up and fling asphalt like a monkey at the zoo with irritable bowl syndrome flinging poo, so I´d personally have to get the 5.0. But, couple of basic things and the v6 does as well as the stock 5.0 from what I hear, while getting a-roundabout 150 more miles out of a tank of gas to boot.

Last edited by wayne613; 12-13-2010 at 12:56 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:47 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

It definitely depends on your personal take on everything.

I remember a few months ago I came here and asked the question and got a whole lot of love for the GT's, particularly with the 5.0 having just come out. I ended up taking a test drive in both the V6 and 2010 GT and honestly the smaller details were what made me go GT. The GT definitely pulled harder but it didn't feel like a drastic difference (because of 2010GT vs 2011 V6) but to me, the exhaust note was just so much better in the GT, I felt like I was just more in touch with the car and I honestly liked the prestige of driving around a GT, particularly with the new 5.0 badge on the side.

It's all about preference and TBH part of me wishes I never rode in a GT because then I'd have more cash in my pocket and still have a hell of a car
Old 12-13-2010, 05:44 PM
HareBrained
1st Gear Member

I'm considering the same thing, 3.7 vs. 5.0. I've taken to paying attention to how I drive (currently a Scion xB) and trying to decide if I could "use" the extra power. Over the last 1000 miles, I think I went WOT twice, once for fun and once to get on the highway. And the xB is only marginally lighter but has only half the output of the 3.7. So, the way I drive and where I drive (a lot of city traffic), I don't need the 5.0.

Besides, I'm hoping my wife will buy the idea that the 3.7 is more fuel efficient than the xB (31 vs. 28).
Old 12-13-2010, 08:04 PM
theACE
3rd Gear Member

HAHAHAHA, im sorry but that is so funny. I really hope your wife buys that though
Old 12-13-2010, 08:08 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

lols I remember back in the day when I went WOT with my mom's 4 cylinder camry. I couldn't have made the tires squeal worth anything xD
Old 12-13-2010, 08:17 PM
DarkhelmetRT
1st Gear Member

I'll give you my thoughts on these cars. but first my backround. I am an import guy, always have been ever since I got my first car 14 years ago. I have always had a strong distaste for most American sports cars. The imports were always tighter, lighter, easier to mod etc.

About 5 months ago, I was driving my Wrx thiking about maybe getting a new car, when I started hearing about fords new V6. This intrigued me, becuase it seemed they were starting to take a more modern design path with variable cam timing, dohc, etc. This appealed to me. However..it was still an american car. lol

Long story short, I stopped by the dealership to look at one, ended up test driving an auto becuase they didn't have any 6 speeds in stock, and I was sold. I could believe how nice the interior was, and that engine is just full of potential. I had them get me a 6 speed premium in black and have been happy ever since.

This is a great daily driver car, enough power to have fun, sexy looks, and a kick *** oem stereo system. However from a pure performace aspect, the suspension is too squishy, ride hight is too high, stock tires suck, and are too wide for the factory wheels, and my stainless mufflers are starting to rust, but all in all these are little things that can be addressed.

I think that once people start making cam/tune packages for these cars, your going to see 400hp naturally aspirated.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:27 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

The new 6 ers can go 13s with only a tune. A set of gears and some bolt ons any they really come alive. I wouldn't have any regrets if I were you.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:27 AM
oldmountainman

I have the 6 & enjoy it.. Here in Ca cops look down on anything over 75. jump on you for exhibition of speed. no strips close, so couldn't use much more. insurance more reasonable great on trips 4-500 mi a day. comfortable. what more do I need? also have a HHR SS quick car too. turbo, runs on premium. mustang so far no problems, except kind of jerky from dead start for an auto.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:30 AM
HareBrained
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by theACE
HAHAHAHA, im sorry but that is so funny. I really hope your wife buys that though
It is funny ... and I'm that desperate.

Originally Posted by pdonket
lols I remember back in the day when I went WOT with my mom's 4 cylinder camry. I couldn't have made the tires squeal worth anything xD
It's not so hard with my xB, it's a stick and the tires are made from igneous rock.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:58 PM
Sincitykid

Bought a 2011 Mustang V-6 6spd a few weeks back. The trans has a massive shifter vibration about 2700 rpm. According to Ford, the car has a Dual Mass Flywheel to eliminate vibration from the engine and the drive train. This part is actually causing the problem in the shifter. I posted questions on a forum and FordCustSrvc contacted me to "help". I provided the VIN#, my phone, and the dealer. They then contacted the dealer and advised them there was no fix for the problem and to not address it other than telling me it is normal. OMG, this is far from normal.

The only regrets I have is:
1. Providing FordCustSrvc with my info. Had I not, there is a good chance the dealer might have actually found the problem and solution.

2. Not waiting till all the bugs are worked out on the new model and waiting till the next year (as our parents always told us).

3. Not getting an automatic. =-).

Other than the trans, I love the car. Awesome performance, MPG. Ford really pulled it out to compete in the V-6 market.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Any regrets?