Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Gears question

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 12:24 PM
rmurad38
1st Gear Member

At last, another person!, well the good news is AM/BAMA's customer service is second to none, they WILL take care of you. The bad news is it could take several attempts to get it right. I've been through several revisions and have gotten close, but not quite. I have an update coming to me any day now, so I'll report back if it's successful. Your computer code doesn't happen to be CMH8 does it?

Good luck!,

Rmurad38

Originally Posted by Grungie
I purchased 3.73 gears for my 11 V6 about 2 months ago. I babied them for about 500 miles and never got the gear oil changed. My shifts are also EXTREMELY rough from 1st-2nd and downshifting from 2nd-1st. I really hope AM/BAMA can fix this. I sent them an e-mail last night begging for help. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:57 AM
Grungie
1st Gear Member

I don't know the code at the top of my head, I'll check later tonight. AM sent me another tune, but when I tried installing it, it said, "No new changes to tune." I had to do a force download and I haven't noticed any differences. My main problem is when I'm driving through parking lots. Even when I accelerate very slowly my RPM's hit 2400 before switching into 2nd, thus causing a harsh jerking motion. Does yours do the same?
Old 03-15-2011, 03:03 PM
rmurad38
1st Gear Member

I don't know the code at the top of my head, I'll check later tonight. AM sent me another tune, but when I tried installing it, it said, "No new changes to tune." I had to do a force download and I haven't noticed any differences. My main problem is when I'm driving through parking lots. Even when I accelerate very slowly my RPM's hit 2400 before switching into 2nd, thus causing a harsh jerking motion. Does yours do the same?
Yes in my many revisions that has been an issue. It's the SLOW driving where it's most evident. When you push the car a bit it's fine, just the slow hardly on the gas acceleration needed for stoplight to stoplight city driving that has been harsh

Good luck
Rmurad38
Old 03-15-2011, 07:31 PM
Grungie
1st Gear Member

At least now I have an excuse to tell the cops... BAMA made me drive my car fast lol
Old 03-15-2011, 07:43 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rmurad38
Yes in my many revisions that has been an issue. It's the SLOW driving where it's most evident. When you push the car a bit it's fine, just the slow hardly on the gas acceleration needed for stoplight to stoplight city driving that has been harsh

Good luck
Rmurad38
I'm taking it that you have an automatic. It's firm shifting and shorter gears so when you're in stop n go traffic, the tranny is constantly upshifting and downshifting so you will feel it more often. What I do is just throw the car into gear, depending on how fast traffic is moving, if it's a crawl I'll prolly do 2nd gear, if it's moving a little faster I do 3rd. Once it starts to flow normally I throw it into drive and turn OD back on. 4.10's is even worse in traffic on an auto.

This is under an assumption since I can only tell by your words and not by driving the car.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:21 PM
Grungie
1st Gear Member

Yep, automatic here. I've been manually shifting my auto when I have a passenger in order to hide the rough shifts, and I put it in neutral when approaching a red light. I never knew if this was bad to do for an auto though... Is it 100% safe?
Old 03-15-2011, 11:19 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

It does sound terribly bad for you. Mine is more of an annoyance at given times but not to the point of being not driveable. I would still try to figure it out with Bama. I use Brenspeed and am happy overall.

Are you throwing it into neutral so it doesn't downshift because of the jerkiness you're feeling?
Old 03-16-2011, 05:07 PM
snaf2u
2nd Gear Member

I have a new Bama tune and do have the first gear shift at about 2500 under very light accelerator. The shift is somewhat abrupt but I don`t mind having that happen. I figure thats what I get to have the very nice firm shift 1-2 under wot. I do not have any problem with downshifts at all. I barely feel them, with no jerky feeling while slowing down.

Hope you can work out what you want so you can enjoy the ride to the utmost.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Grungie
1st Gear Member

I returned the car to stock and re-uploaded the tune. It feels a bit better. Rmurad I recommend you do the same. The down shift from 2nd to 1st isn't so noticeable now. BTW I've been running the Performance tune as my daily driver... Would the Street tune be a more comfortable drive? Maybe the additional low torque power would improve the 1st-2nd shifts?
Old 03-17-2011, 12:26 AM
rmurad38
1st Gear Member

I returned the car to stock and re-uploaded the tune. It feels a bit better. Rmurad I recommend you do the same. The down shift from 2nd to 1st isn't so noticeable now. BTW I've been running the Performance tune as my daily driver... Would the Street tune be a more comfortable drive? Maybe the additional low torque power would improve the 1st-2nd shifts?
I have done This before, and yes, it did help somewhat, actually the street tune is a bit worse in my opinion as the better torque makes the jolt that much worse. At this point I'm waiting for another update. Hopefully it comes soon. What I dont understand is why the tunes seem to "take" differently depending on whether the car is stock or not. I have noticed this and it doesn't seem right to me

Rmurad38