Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Look what showed up at AmericanMuscle's door today... thanks JLT!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 01:15 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

The gains are going to follow. So, if we gained 12HP from 93-93 with a JLT, you'll gain roughly the same number with 87 octane. The only difference is the before/after number, the gains will be identical (or close to it).

Speaking about tunes only, an 87 octane tune is going to be about half as much of a gain as the 93 octane or 91 octane. Being that this was our street tune, it was pretty conservative. Our Race tune would have made an extra 3-4RWHP and RWTQ. You can definitely bet that if we gained 18HP with a 93 octane tune, you can assume about 10HP with 87 octane.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:28 PM
wrxified
2nd Gear Member

Chris - If I run 100 octane in the Mustang with your 93 race tune at the track does your tune gain additional power or are the parameters set at "not to exceed" thresholds?
Old 02-15-2011, 02:05 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wrxified
Chris - If I run 100 octane in the Mustang with your 93 race tune at the track does your tune gain additional power or are the parameters set at "not to exceed" thresholds?
I assume that you mean will timing advance? We don't use the knock advance on our tunes. We use the knock retard feature for safety and we set the timing where we want it. It's much more consistent.

100 octane, you'd have to get us to make you a tune for it in order for it to be worth while. We'd have to add timing to commanded, as the knock sensors will not add timing in a properly calibrated aftermarket tune.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:13 PM
wrxified
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMChrisRose
I assume that you mean will timing advance? We don't use the knock advance on our tunes. We use the knock retard feature for safety and we set the timing where we want it. It's much more consistent.

100 octane, you'd have to get us to make you a tune for it in order for it to be worth while. We'd have to add timing to commanded, as the knock sensors will not add timing in a properly calibrated aftermarket tune.
Cool. So would this be a part of the tunes for life? Would I just submit a request and use 100 octane under the Race Tune Octane section?
Old 02-15-2011, 03:56 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Yes, absolutely part of the Free Tunes for Life program. I would give Bama a call during business hours to make sure they get it 100% for you.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:45 PM
Funster_2011V6
2nd Gear Member

Thank you, Mr Rose. The video has really sold me.

Now just two questions before I place my order.

1. I'll be running the 91 street tune. If I'm in the boonies and I have to fill up with 87, the knock sensors will keep my engine safe, correct?

2. Can I specify that the stock rev limit be maintained when I order? How do I do this?

Thanks!
Old 02-15-2011, 05:46 PM
wrxified
2nd Gear Member

You set the rev limits yourself with the SCT tuner.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:26 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Funster_2011V6
Thank you, Mr Rose. The video has really sold me.

Now just two questions before I place my order.

1. I'll be running the 91 street tune. If I'm in the boonies and I have to fill up with 87, the knock sensors will keep my engine safe, correct?

2. Can I specify that the stock rev limit be maintained when I order? How do I do this?

Thanks!
The rev limiter can be set to stock with the tuner yourself if you want to. If you want to make it easier (so you don't have to change it every time you program the car) you can just request it when you fill out our tune form and we'll make sure we take care of that for you!

The knock sensors will keep your engine safe, yes. However, we still recommend to run the correct octane level for what you have in the tank. Might be a good idea to get an 87 tune for emergencies. Luckily, you have free tunes for life, so you can get whatever you need. You can keep them stored on your computer and load them into the handheld programmer as you see fit (since it only holds 3 at a time). The nice thing is that the octane being lower really only affects the car under heavy loads at mid-full throttle. If you're just cruising along part throttle and driving conservatively, it won't make any difference. We had to put 87 octane in a 900RWHP supercharged Shelby that typically runs C16, LOL. It was only 2 gallons to get us to the track, but we needed it. If you drive the car light-part throttle, it never gets anywhere near detonation. You can be sure we fully drained the tank and filled with 5 gallons of C16 and drove it around a little before we made any passes, though!