Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Look what showed up at AmericanMuscle's door today... thanks JLT!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 09:57 PM
phantom24
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the update Chris. Sounds like you will have a lot of new orders, including me. Any ideas on the cost?
Old 01-29-2011, 03:31 PM
unclerodg

Default DYNO #'S

Hey, what ever happened to the dyno pulls and posted numbers? Maybe they ain't lookin so good!!
Old 01-29-2011, 03:46 PM
wrxified
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by unclerodg
Hey, what ever happened to the dyno pulls and posted numbers? Maybe they ain't lookin so good!!
Haha. "How can we present these numbers to make it look like everything makes power...."
Old 01-29-2011, 03:48 PM
wrxified
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wrxified
Haha. "How can we present these numbers to make it look like everything makes power...."
I don't know. Seems like Chris went quiet on all the forums.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:23 PM
LTDan
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wrxified
I don't know. Seems like Chris went quiet on all the forums.
Haha, did you just answer your own question? JK, anyways, from everything I've read, none of the other cold air intakes are making any significant power on these engines. I'm not really sure why this one would be much different. It looks pretty much mechanically identical to all the other ones out there. The videos I'm seeing make the engine sound a lot different though. That may be worth it for the ~$300 or so for some people. The stock intake utilizes cold air and it has pretty much a direct shot to the throttle body.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:31 PM
unclerodg

Everything I've read says that a tune on an automatic 331 gears, which I have, makes a noticeable difference. But I'm not sure I would do any more mods just for the sound or "loudness factor". I have to admit that the BORLA set up does sound alot more like a Ferrari than Ricer!!!
Old 01-30-2011, 06:58 AM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

I'm certain AM is having trouble finding more power than JLT did without causing a CEL or requiring additional performance parts. I hope I'm wrong though. Chris frequently does not meet his self imposed deadlines for posting info.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:03 AM
wrxified
2nd Gear Member

I called in my order to JLT this past Monday. Hopefully they haven't shipped yet. I'm going to call them tomorrow to see if I can cancel my order.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:01 AM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

read bad reviews on MMR....some say the MMR better than bbk, but have not read negative on bbk...YET, c&l yes good write ups, but I think I just want a CAI that is made metal product, I have to be honest, I cracked mt carbon fiber one tightening up when first install, not knocking any products here but the bbk looks as if would get job done as well as any.........and tuned right could compete with all the others, please don't call me out on this, it's just a observation.......but they all look alike just different material????

Last edited by 6+6 Stang; 01-30-2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:39 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

I did have a chance to test two of the popular intake options for the 2011 V6 again last week. The dyno results will be up later today or tomorrow at the latest. We're trying to organize them a little bit, so there's not 40 lines on a graph.

The JLT, C&L and Airaid (Bama) intakes for the 2011 V6, so far... ALL have had the same air/fuel ratio before and after the installation. This is great news, for those scared of a tune. For those scared of a tune, the bad news is that you're probably also scared of sunlight and the Easter bunny. I keed, I keed!

There are so many benefits when running a custom tune. The increased throttle response, driveability, horsepower and torque are just the beginning. Gas mileage, future mod support, ability to recalibrate the speedometer, datalog, read & clear DTCs, it's amazing.

So the testing we've done shows that these 3 intakes, when thrown on a stock 11 v6, add between 10-15 RWHP. You add a tune and you get another 8-10RWHP. The combination is worth 18-25 RWHP and the gains for both hp/tq throughout the curve are awesome as well. Now that makes the intake look like the important part of the equation. However, adding just a tune alone adds 15-20 RWHP. That makes the intake look less important. The point is:

An intake alone adds 10-15 HP/TQ

A tune alone adds 10-20 HP/TQ

Together they add 18-25 HP/TQ

I think that going with both is huge. Yes, if you start with an 87 octane pull and then run 93 with a CAI you're going to see 25+RWHP all day long. This is true. I was going off of 93 octane results both stock and modded.

Basically, if you add the CAI first, it makes the tune numbers appear to be not worth it.

If you add the tune first, it makes the CAI numbers appear to be not worth it.

If you look at the benefits, there IS reason to have both.

The tune gives you better driveability in general. You get a cleaner tune, optimized for your octane level, throttle response, automatic get increased shift pressures, faster/firmer shifts, and again, 3 different maps that alow you to pick what style of driving matches your favorite custom tune. Also datalogging, read/clear check engine lights, better MPG, etc. This also supports any future modifications that you do (especially if purchased from Bama with free tunes for life! )

The CAI gives you the added performance, added MPG, and supports future modifications. The intake is going to create more and more power as your air requirements increase. If you add long tube headers, you'll lose alot more than 3-5 horsepower by switching out the intake for the stock air box. I hope this makes sense. That and they look sweet! Also, you're going to notice a very slight decrease in your intake air temperatures. That, plus the filter is cleanable and reusable.

I'll put these together when I get a chance today or tomorrow. Hogaswild, as you can imagine we have other things on our plate too. We had 1 1/2 snow days yesterday, and I had my own personal issues to worry about over the weekend. Everything is fine, and I will get to these within 24 hours.

Last edited by AMChrisRose; 01-31-2011 at 03:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Look what showed up at AmericanMuscle's door today... thanks JLT!