Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

If you have a manual transmission you need to read this.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 06:27 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

so funster in laymans terms...........get rid of the tranny fluid that's in the car now and put in......what....new fluid....brand of fluid?
Old 02-16-2011, 09:49 PM
Joenpb
2nd Gear Member

I believe this is correct.

XT-11-QDC

I copied funster's analysis reports so I could blow them up to read. It appears he sent samples of "virgin XT-11-QDC" fluid & the fluid in his transmission. Analysis showed they were similar, but with different viscosity & flash points, it appears they are not the same fluid. If that's the case, then the factory put in the wrong fluid.

Last edited by Joenpb; 02-16-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:42 AM
Funster_2011V6
2nd Gear Member

Just want to add that changing this fluid is not for the faint of heart. You need a lift, or at the very least 4 jack stands, and a fluid pump.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:09 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

Myself I would never attempt a Tranny change, that is why those a re 60,000 mile changes for me...oil yeah I'll do....mine in shop now getting the sold tick fix now and after they are going to do my first service full Ford Syntheic, not the blend.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:53 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Funster_2011V6
Alrighty fellas, let no one say I don't contribute to the forum.

Here is analysis reports on a new bottle of transmission fluid compared to what came in my transmission from the factory.

The analysis was $50 and the fluid was $30 a quart. Enjoy!

Interesting stuff but doesn't "prove" anything.

Is the virgin oil the tested the identical stuff that is already in the tranny?

If not, then it's not relevant. Potassium and Sodim are natural dessicants (absorb water) so if they were added to tranny fluid would keep free water from combining (oxidizing) other metals...
Old 02-17-2011, 04:34 PM
Funster_2011V6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Interesting stuff but doesn't "prove" anything.

Is the virgin oil the tested the identical stuff that is already in the tranny?

If not, then it's not relevant. Potassium and Sodim are natural dessicants (absorb water) so if they were added to tranny fluid would keep free water from combining (oxidizing) other metals...
Your second sentence makes no sense. Typo?

Set the additives aside. They are so similar as to be irrelevant. Look at the viscosity and flashpoint.

And I'm telling you that my car shifted like crap with the factory fill, and shifts perfect with 11-QDC as specified in the owners manual and as specified from the power train hotline.

Whatever sample 2 , my factory fill, was it is not 11-QDC.

The potassium and sodium came from my drain pan residue, I'm sure.

Last edited by Funster_2011V6; 02-17-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:50 PM
Funster_2011V6
2nd Gear Member

Here you go, admittedly second hand, but a quote from a ford engineer that the factory fill was not 11-QDC, and that an upcoming tsb will reflect that.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ml#post2428343
Old 02-17-2011, 04:56 PM
LTDan
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Funster_2011V6
Your second sentence makes no sense. Typo?

Set the additives aside. They are so similar as to be irrelevant. Look at the viscosity and flashpoint.

And I'm telling you that my car shifted like crap with the factory fill, and shifts perfect with 11-QDC as specified in the owners manual and as specified from the power train hotline.

Whatever sample 2 , my factory fill, was it is not 11-QDC.

The potassium and sodium came from my drain pan residue, I'm sure.
Hey Funster, have you had your clutch assembly replaced yet due to the stretching pressure plate bolts? I had mine replaced a month ago or so. Mine was shifting harshly too until the clutch went out completely. After they changed it out, mine shifts nice and smoothly into all gears. I'm pretty sure I still have the factory fluid in my transmission. I'm a little hazy on what the issue is overall. Did Ford put the incorrect fluid in all manual trans cars? and if so, what did they put in and what is supposed to go in these transmissions?
Old 02-17-2011, 05:50 PM
Funster_2011V6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LTDan
Hey Funster, have you had your clutch assembly replaced yet due to the stretching pressure plate bolts? I had mine replaced a month ago or so. Mine was shifting harshly too until the clutch went out completely. After they changed it out, mine shifts nice and smoothly into all gears. I'm pretty sure I still have the factory fluid in my transmission. I'm a little hazy on what the issue is overall. Did Ford put the incorrect fluid in all manual trans cars? and if so, what did they put in and what is supposed to go in these transmissions?
Since they couldn't do anything for me on the engine tick, my dealer offered to change the bolts under the TSB, and that did help some.

The owners manual, the Ford hotlline, and Getrag themselves have all specified the Ford XT-11-QDC fluid.

Now as to the rest I can only speculate. From the oil reports I bought, I don't believe my factory fill was the correct fluid. Was it just a bad batch? Did they run out on the line and substitute fluid? Was there simply a miscommunication to the assembly line? No idea.

Bottom line is, my car is fixed. It cost me $80 for the fluid and $50 for the analysis.

Last edited by Funster_2011V6; 02-17-2011 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Sorry, I was starting to rant.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:53 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

so now my cold tick is fixed today yippy.....please provide A TSB Number for the clutch bolts plate whatever is cause the dealer that just fixed me today on the ticking has heard nothing except the vibration when slowing down around 2500 rpm, which is considered normal, and you know what now I think about it, that is normal cause Dan had his whole assembly replaced his still vibrates, how many more fixes am I going need, mine shifts great....they even did a 100 % synthetic oil change w/o extra charge...

Quick Reply: If you have a manual transmission you need to read this.