Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Added Oil Separator.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:02 PM
Joenpb
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs up Added Oil Separator.

I read this thread and thought that an oil separator was a good mod based on my experiences with previous cars and fouled intakes.

Last Friday I received an oil separator from JLT for my 3.7L. It took 2 seconds to remove the PCV line on the passenger side and install the JLT Oil Separator. For those interested it came with the same type of connectors and tubing Ford used on the original PCV line. Their black anodized version even looks like a Ford OEM part. Sweet!

Well I put close to 300 miles (mixed driving ) on the car this weekend after receiving my JLT Oil Separator. So today I was curious as to how much oil it had accumulated.

A fair amount considering only a few hundred miles of driving. Anyway, these things really work!

Last edited by Joenpb; 03-14-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:56 PM
ibihab
1st Gear Member

Wow, that is interesting. Thanks for sharing that and all the fantastic pictures. Nice work.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:16 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

Mine collected between a third and a half of the container after about 750 miles.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:30 AM
Upsh1ft
2nd Gear Member

So, technically this mod could help prevent oil from entering the intake manifold and accumulating on your valves and the like. I'm still confused as to why the engine is designed that way?
Old 03-15-2011, 07:14 AM
Funster_2011V6
2nd Gear Member

The only reason you see liquid oil in the seperator is because it has cooled and collected. Practically speaking, the intake sucks in oil VAPOR which the engine burns off. In a stock engine, it shouldnt collect more than a film on anything unless you dont change your oil often enough. Yet another reason to use a good synthetic oil with low volitility.

Last edited by Funster_2011V6; 03-15-2011 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Typos.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:15 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Very nice setup JLT has there, especially hoses cut and fit to length!
Old 03-15-2011, 07:24 AM
Upsh1ft
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Funster_2011V6
The only reason you see liquid oil in the seperator is because it has cooled and collected. Practically speaking, the intake sucks in oil VAPOR which the engine burns off. In a stock engine, it shouldnt collect more than a film on anything unless you dont change your oil often enough. Yet another reason to use a good synthetic oil with low volitility.
So basically, a non issue?
Old 03-15-2011, 10:17 AM
Joenpb
2nd Gear Member

Unfortunately not all of the oil vapor does burn off, and the accumulation has been an issue on my cars cars in the past. The real benefit starts after 50,000 miles, when that oil film thickens, turns to sludge, & the build up starts robbing power. The clean up isn't cheap or easy either.

Oil contamination derives from the positive crankcase ventilation valve ( low pressure/high vacuum for positive
displacement blowers) common on most internal combustion engines where vacuum is pulled on the crankcase
by the intake. This contamination occurs when oil vapors exit the crankcase via the PCV valve /vent hose, enter
the intake tract, and create adverse effects such as carbon build-up on valves, pistons, and plugs, as well as
causes harmful detonation. Detonation in many cases causes the ECM/PCM to retard timing, thus creating a
reduction in horsepower.
http://www.haneymotorsport.com/HMS%2...atch%20Can.htm

Last edited by Joenpb; 03-15-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:45 PM
traxiii

Originally Posted by Funster_2011V6
Not completely true. Until I put a separator in my FRPP GT-40 5.0L in my F150, oil would pool from the PCV at a low spot inside the Edelbrock intake manifold and everything in there would get sticky. Inserted separator and it stays clean. Gotta think the valves and runners were getting some build up too. Put one on my '04 V6 Stang too. The units I have are clear plastic bowls, so you can see the amount of oil in them. Got them from Grainger.

Last edited by traxiii; 03-15-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:14 AM
FoxThree

[QUOTE=Joenpb;7460358A fair amount considering only a few hundred miles of driving. Anyway, these things really work![/QUOTE]

Of course they work, the well designed ones at least. By removing that oil from the intake, you're getting an effective increase in octane, and if you were boosted, you'd be adding insurance against knock/det because of the effective octane increase. (Oil causes det)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Added Oil Separator.