Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Bama 87 Performance Tune Loaded

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 07:24 PM
Joenpb
2nd Gear Member

It will at least advance far enough to blow the head gasket........

BTW - 87 octane here is over the $4 a gallon mark.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:34 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

I don't know....where we having lunch this week...this time closer to you? We can talk about then.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:57 AM
Upsh1ft
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Joenpb
It will at least advance far enough to blow the head gasket........

BTW - 87 octane here is over the $4 a gallon mark.
Meh.. Here in my area it's equivalent to about 4.50$ a gallon and in some parts a LOT more expensive. 91 at the lowest right now 5.02$ a gallon for the low quality brands. Yes US gallons and not imperial gallons.

Keep in mind the national capital region of Canada has some of the lowest gas prices in the country...
Old 03-29-2011, 07:00 AM
Upsh1ft
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LEBAV
Excellent data. I converted your numbers to the Canadian equivalent which is liters per 100 km and I was able to find the cost break even point between 87 and 93 octane. The extra mileage per tank pays for the additional cost of the 93 octane gas. Conclusion: A more enjoyable car at 93 without additional cost.

Many thanks for your information

PS: my car is also M/T with 3.31 gears
hey, are you closer to gatineau, montreal, quebec city or more the "outskirts" of the province? it would help me figure out how your conclusion applies to the fuel prices I get here.

Thanks
Old 03-29-2011, 08:50 AM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 6+6 Stang
I don't know....where we having lunch this week...this time closer to you? We can talk about then.
Unfortunately I'm really busy this week. My calendar is more open next week. I know a pretty good pizza joint around where I work if you're interested. Just let me know which day is best and I'll block the time off.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:24 AM
Upsh1ft
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hogasswild
Unfortunately I'm really busy this week. My calendar is more open next week. I know a pretty good pizza joint around where I work if you're interested. Just let me know which day is best and I'll block the time off.
If only Can and US weren't so damn huge. It would have been cool to do a sort of forum community meet. Kinda hard though when distances can be counted in many hundreds if not thousands of miles
Old 03-29-2011, 02:21 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

Just FYI, in one of the other mustang forums Chris Rose from AM mentioned that they have revised versions of their tunes for our v6. I believe the changes are just tweaks, but you can still request them if you bought the upgrades for life. My tunes were dated from 11MAR11 and the rep said their tunes are newer than that. Chris also mentioned a hybrid street and race tune that gives you the lower end torque of the street tune and the peak power of the race tune. Waiting for all those to be emailed. Might have to hold off on my mpg tests for a bit and play with the new tunes!
Old 03-29-2011, 02:42 PM
sketchy00
2nd Gear Member

Just FYI, in one of the other mustang forums Chris Rose from AM mentioned that they have revised versions of their tunes for our v6. I believe the changes are just tweaks, but you can still request them if you bought the upgrades for life. My tunes were dated from 11MAR11 and the rep said their tunes are newer than that. Chris also mentioned a hybrid street and race tune that gives you the lower end torque of the street tune and the peak power of the race tune. Waiting for all those to be emailed. Might have to hold off on my mpg tests for a bit and play with the new tunes!
Good info. I wish Bama had a good way to notify existing users with free upgrades on when they revise their tunes. RSS feed, twitter, something like that. Even if they are just slight tweaks, I think the interest is there for all of us who run 'em.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:51 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, I mentioned that to the Bama rep. He said that unless they are major changes, that they won't inform anybody. He said most of the time any changes made are to just smooth performance parameters out, but won't increase peak power or torque etc. They could just have a twitter account, and put out a short blurb. We could recommend that to Chris and see if they can support it. That's the kind of support that makes me buy more stuff from them.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:55 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

That's too confusing for me. This is how I would figure it:
Based on 10,000 miles a year
87 intake @ $3.50 gal would cost $1,259 (10,000/27.8=359.7*3.5=1259)
93 intake @ $3.75 gal would cost $1,288 (10,000/29.1=343.6*3.75=1289)

So cost wise I guess the difference would be $30 over a year based on that calculation, and only 16 gallons of fuel. To me that is really negligible. I'd rather get the extra ponies for $2.50 a month and use a little less gas and help the environment lol. The other reason for me to use 93 octane is that I can make the complete trip from Raleigh to Norfolk and back without needing to fill up. We are really lucky that our cars can adjust to the different fuels where other high performance cars require 93 and some economy cars run best on 87. We get the best of both worlds.
I was just checking local gas prices and saw that my WAG was a little off. It looks like the difference in price between 87 and 93 is more like 20 cents, so that makes the difference just over $12 over the course of a year. Plus the thing I didn't notice is that based on that mileage, 93 octane uses about 16 gallons less, which happens to be one tank of gas.

Quick Reply: Bama 87 Performance Tune Loaded