Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Transmission problem in our mustangs...big issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Upsh1ft
2nd Gear Member

Back on topic:

I noticed an audible clunk every time I press the clutch hard to shift from first to second. I'm a newbie with a stick so I was wondering if it's normal.

On another note, I let my best friend try the car. First time ever driving anything other than an econobox and she was smooth as butter, so that confirms that the jerkiness is my own fault for being a newb lol xD
Old 04-20-2011, 04:32 AM
Funster_2011V6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
So how many drive-train TSB's are there on the '11 and '12's? I thought there was one for the clutch and a more recent serious one for the tranny.
AFAIK 3. First was clutch pedal stays on the floor at high revs. Fix is GT500 pedal with stiffer spring. Second was dificulty putting into gear and gear clash. Fix is new pressure plate bolts. Third was balky shifts in all gears espesially in cold weather. Fix is lighter weight MTF.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:14 AM
Upsh1ft
2nd Gear Member

Could u explain gear clash and what u mean by balky?
Old 04-20-2011, 09:01 AM
sketchy00
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Upsh1ft
You can look that sort of thing up:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_(mechanics)

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/balk
Old 04-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Upsh1ft
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Funster_2011V6
AFAIK 3. First was clutch pedal stays on the floor at high revs. Fix is GT500 pedal with stiffer spring. Second was dificulty putting into gear and gear clash. Fix is new pressure plate bolts. Third was balky shifts in all gears espesially in cold weather. Fix is lighter weight MTF.
Gosh I hope I'm wrong but... I did notice that when cold sometimes putting it into first takes a bit more effort.. and sometimes as it goes in I hear some sort of vibration. Doesn't feel like grinding though but I could be wrong... ugh

EDIT: The vibration and extra resistance is usually when slowing to a stop, brakes on, coming from neutral with about 5-10mph left in speed.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:57 PM
Funster_2011V6
2nd Gear Member

Gear clash is what ford calls "grinding". These are syncromesh transmissions. The gears should never grind unless something is wrong or the clutch isnt fully depressed.

Balky is what people often call "notchy". You push the shifter in a slot and it doesnt go in smothly. It has stiffness or a stepped feel.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:03 PM
Funster_2011V6
2nd Gear Member

EDIT: The vibration and extra resistance is usually when slowing to a stop, brakes on, coming from neutral with about 5-10mph left in speed.

Except for the vibration part, what you describe here is perfectly normal. The resistance you feel in the lever is the synchros matching the gear speed to the wheel speed with the clutch pedal on the floor so that the gears dont grind.

To avoid resistance either come to a full stop before shifting into first or double clutch.

If vibration you mean a grinding, then be sure you are fully depressing the clutch. Otherwise, you may have the pressure plate bolt problem. I did.

With the defective bolts, the clutch never fully disengages even with the pedal on the floor.

Last edited by Funster_2011V6; 04-20-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:18 PM
Upsh1ft
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Funster_2011V6
Except for the vibration part, what you describe here is perfectly normal. The resistance you feel in the lever is the synchros matching the gear speed to the wheel speed with the clutch pedal on the floor so that the gears dont grind.

To avoid resistance either come to a full stop before shifting into first or double clutch.

If vibration you mean a grinding, then be sure you are fully depressing the clutch. Otherwise, you may have the pressure plate bolt problem. I did.

With the defective bolts, the clutch never fully disengages even with the pedal on the floor.
Well ok I'll try to be a bit more clear I realize my information might be misleading, by vibration I mean a sound that sounds like one, I don't feel anything in my hand through the shifter like I would when grinding from not pressing the clutch fully(i know how it feels, it's happened to me in another car last year). but I always make sure it's to the floor and the issue i'm describing only ever affects first gear. But i'll still stay aware and wait until i'm fully stopped before going into first. I do legit stops at stops signs(seriously I do LOL) anyways.

Thanks for the input Funster.

And thanks for the links Sketchy.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:21 PM
regalt87

I'm seriously considering the AirRaid from your experience but likely without a tune. I know it isn't as good without the tune but I don't wanna go too far away from stock for now and don't wanna be spending all my money either. That and I like how it dresses up an otherwise boring engine bay.

As for Axlebacks, I have yet to hear one that I personally prefer over stock. Plus I like the quiet ride at 70mph(The average speed people drive on our highways).

But yes I will admit I also drooled everywhere when I saw the preliminary results of that procharger. it's a huge boost out of a basic supercharger kit, especially on a V6! Good bang for the buck but it's really expensive and the few people who have gotten their prochargers are rather quiet about it so not much to learn from their experience.

Sorry, The install was lenghly but nothing that a fairly experienced person with mechanical abilities and a full service shop couldn't do. Took me 2 days with farting around doing some other things. The directions were easy to follow with good illistrations laid out in proper order. As expected it's a different car. Lower RPM's because of the tune it's peppy with a slightly better throttle response. Pulls hard from 4500 to 7K really hard from 5500 to 7k where it is making the best power then you hit the limiter. ( I am going to bump the limiter up to 7500 ) I am in the process of installing 373 gears now so that will make a slight difference. The car that Procharger did the set up on to build the kit originally did 429 RWHP @ 8psi. With a 4.10 pulley. Glen put headers, and full exhaust and a 4.0 pulley on and put 460 at the wheels at 9 psi at 85% of the duty cycle of the 50 lb injectors. I can't afford the headers and exhaust now but it looks like a full exhaust is worth doing. Hope that helps. Visit V6mustang performance.com
Old 04-27-2011, 05:37 PM
Upsh1ft
2nd Gear Member

Here's my problem that i've started noticing.

When the transmission was cold last week, was a chilly day out, 3rd gear grinded twice as it popped in gear and 5th gear too. Then it went away and it was buttershift.

Now yesterday and today I noticed a very slight grind when the tranny is still gold popping the shifter into 5th for the first time in a drive after letting the car sit there for a full day or night even when the weather isn't particularly cold. Happens once and then it's all perfect.

any guesses?

Quick Reply: Transmission problem in our mustangs...big issue?