Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Transmission problem in our mustangs...big issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 12:50 PM
Alien
1st Gear Member

Default Transmission problem in our mustangs...big issue?

dont know if you guys read this, my stang is at the dealership right now with clutch problems, if this is a big issue like they say I might be trading in my car asap

http://jalopnik.com/#!5792482/faulty...w-ford-mustang
Old 04-16-2011, 01:12 PM
Joenpb
2nd Gear Member

I haven't had any problems, & I do drive spirited, but mostly commuting to & from work. My guess is there's a large increase in torque between the what 5.0L puts to the transmission compared to the 3.7L. So they might have a few more problems. Do agree that having the transmission built in China isn't very reassuring, Challenger motors being built in Mexico brings on similar concerns.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:46 PM
MatthewR87

Unfortunately this is the new reality of the world we live in. Even if the transmission was built in the USA, it would still be assembled with Chinese made parts and we would have the same problems. Car manufacturers are trying to cut costs as much as they can, and this includes contracting out work to those who can do it the cheapest = Mexico, China, Taiwan, etc.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:28 PM
Upsh1ft
2nd Gear Member

Hmm, the only issues i've had so far are the difficulty in making smooth shifts from first to second or second to 3rd. It sorta bounces the car. But I attribute this to the fact that this is the first Manual car i've ever driven regularly, so i'm a newb, and the fact that being a sports car, the clutch isn't going to be as forgiving as that of an econobox.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:38 AM
Alien
1st Gear Member

well my car is at the stealership with clutch problems, hopefully this is the last of my transmission problems

and if you are having tough shifts from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd that is one of te reported problems so you might wanna have that checked out
Old 04-18-2011, 12:32 PM
Upsh1ft
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Alien
well my car is at the stealership with clutch problems, hopefully this is the last of my transmission problems

and if you are having tough shifts from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd that is one of te reported problems so you might wanna have that checked out
Well putting the shifter into the gates is a non-issue. It usually happens if I miss the timing or go too fast with the clutch release. Hense why I blame it on my inexperience. Also worth noting is that when my neighbour tried it, his shifting was buttery smooth.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:51 PM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

I think you might be describing the whiplash effect from having a 2pc driveshaft. You either have to feather the clutch a bit more or pony up for a new one piece aluminum DS
Old 04-18-2011, 06:00 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

not putting down the onne peice DS, I had on my '10 GT, but she still had that slap, to really be truthful, at first, my mind told me I had more direct power to the ground, but all in all, perfomed same but weighed about 18 lbs less,
Old 04-18-2011, 07:05 PM
Upsh1ft
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LostBoyz
I think you might be describing the whiplash effect from having a 2pc driveshaft. You either have to feather the clutch a bit more or pony up for a new one piece aluminum DS
So if judging from what you and 6+6 stang are telling me, it's a consequence of a high performance drivetrain and, as I suspected, I will have to get used to it and try to improve my clutchwork. reassuring!
Old 04-18-2011, 07:26 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

nothing wrong with slippin/aka feathering a little to prevent the jerk, i can drive that thing sometimes where smoother than a auto, but that is for wife only, if your a friend or by myself, better have your HANS device lol

Quick Reply: Transmission problem in our mustangs...big issue?