Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!
Old 11-04-2015, 12:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Stainless Works Catback Retro Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 08:11 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

I'm very happy with my custom Pypes setup. I just bought the mufflers that come with the system and put larger tips on. Sounds like Pypes for half the cost.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:19 PM
TruMac
2nd Gear Member

It seems like a lot of people are taking that route. I'll admit that it does sound pretty damn good. I want to replace the stock 2.25 with 2.5 tho as I plan on getting LTs.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:49 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

The shop I went to was willing to upgrade my piping to 2.5" for $75 more. But I decided not to do it in case I didn't like it and ended up needing to buy a full system to replace it. Needless to say I should have probably done the full upgrade since I really like how it sounds and performs for the little bit I spent.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:34 PM
TruMac
2nd Gear Member

What kind of piping were they using?
Old 07-08-2011, 01:47 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

304 stainless steel.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:51 PM
TruMac
2nd Gear Member

Same as the SW...
Old 07-08-2011, 07:55 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

They also have aluminized steel, but he already knew I wasn't interested in that. I'm not sure if it would have brought the cost down.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:14 PM
TruMac
2nd Gear Member

Maybe I'll just grab some M80s and see if I can have some 304 stainless bent
Old 08-22-2011, 07:36 AM
Stainless Works
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by hogasswild
I think the materials are great quality too, but chambered exhausts are known to lose power which is why you don't typically see them anymore. So if you're just looking for that 60s muscle car sound, that's great. For the price I would be asking for more than just acoustic improvements and loss of HP and torque lol.
Busted! Sorry for not responding to this thread, been occupied with R&D on some new products.

Yes, our chambered exhaust does offer a great muscle car sound. Our design was created to give the V6 Mustang a deep growl while decreasing backpressure using a free flow design muffler and smooth mandrel bends. If we chose a full 3", there would be a noticeable loss of TQ/HP on the bottom end. Using a 2.5" exhaust has allowed us to create a system that produces power across the entire RPM range. This means an increase in throttle response off the line, while still having a enough free flow at higher RPM to make better horsepower than stock and still support additional future engine modifications. You can expect 5-10hp with a catback exhaust upgrade. Our design will gain horsepower but its actually based on other variables. Keep in mind the motor is a huge airpump, the more you inhale/exhale the more power available. Now if you add in a larger capacity intake, re-tweek the computer to compensate for now modified air fuel ratio, then you have a noticeable difference in power. (I'm sure you guys all know this, just trying to get my point across). Now if you want to make power, buying a catback is only a small part of the equation, but this is what makes the sound you want. Great first upgrade because now your car will sound sweet!!! One of the best upgrades to increase power on any vehicle is to get rid of stock manifolds and replace them with a long tube design (28-32" primary) because this will increase power from idle to redline.

So in short its all relative.

Purchase a catback based on sound, quality of material, fitment and of course price.

I can understand the loss of power if your overall volume of exhaust is too small for the dynamic of your motor (ie supercharger, bore/stroke, rpm requirements, etc...) If your V6 is pushing over 500hp, then you want to consider a larger exhaust, no doubt!

Ok now let me have it, I know you guys will!! haha

Last edited by Stainless Works; 08-22-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:38 PM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

Paul,

How about offering the retro chamber mufflers as a bolt on to the stock pipes? I'm one of the potential buyers out there that isn't interested in making 400 hp with my V6 and I'm not interested in paying $500+ for an exhaust mod.
Make up a pair of mufflers competitive in price with Flowmaster and Dynomax and I'm in.

Barring that, make the mufflers and resonators from your cat back system available separately at a reasonable price and I'll handle the install. $154 for the 2" mill finish retro chambered muffler is kinda steep when compared to the stainless offerings from Dynomax or Flowmaster. I'd suggest $259 for all four would be worthwhile, just in case SW hasn't noticed that inflation has been checked by demand a few times lately.

Last edited by scottybaccus; 08-22-2011 at 05:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Stainless Works Catback Retro Exhaust