Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

BBK 73mm throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 04:27 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

The BBK CAI video shows different numbers and it is a nice install video for anyone who wants to put in a CAI.

BBK 1778/17785
Stock RWHP 247.99 RWT 228.44
CAI-- RWHP 255.42 RWT 242.76
Old 07-25-2012, 02:20 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

I bit the bullet and ordered the BBK TB, I did not see much in the way of people running the 73mm TB with the Steeda CAI and tune, just a couple of Customer Reviews somewhere, and they raved about it.

Now I am going to have to hound the UPS man everyday till it gets here. I asked around and no one else seems to be bringing a TB to market for the 3.7L any time soon.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:01 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

So the BBK TB showed up Monday and I installed it last night.
The install is a pc of cake. It took me longer to find the wrench I dropped in the dark then it did to swap out the part.

I actually have not had that much time to actually experience the mod, but I did do some roasting around the subdivision last night and the usual commute this morning. The change is pretty obvious, first off the rear end brakes free faster then before, the power band seems to start at a little lower in the RPMs and there is clearly more power in 6th while cruising on the freeway. There is a faster throttle response and more power.

It seems as though there is more from 3000 rpm, there is a big hill on my commute, I traverse it every morning while I am climbing. I hit this hill as I change from one freeway to another and if you don't get from the slow lane to the fast lane ASAP you get stuck behind slow trucks that are struggling and merging as the outside lane ends, the pavement in the slower lanes is also a mess. So every morning the name of the game is to merge and and haul *** to the far side of the lanes while going up hill with out getting in an accident (right in front of the cemetery ) So anyways the reason why I bring this up is because I usually down shift from 6th to 5th to 4th (or straight from 6-5th) while doing this, you have to make sure you have enough power to be able to move into faster traffic after having to slow down. Well this morning I was surprised at how much power there was in 5th, the motor seemed to be smoother, less skinny pedal for sure.

I noticed also while cruising in 6th it took less accelerator to move ahead of people to change lanes.

The sound of the motor has changed a bit, I have not quite put my finger on it. In general my impression is that it is smoother and quieter, this is not what I expected, I expected it to hear more air whistling in and the RPMs to flair, more roar... ? Some how it seems more powerful yet the sound is more subdued?

I use to have a really noticeable surge of power that came on between the high 2000rpms and the low 3000rpms, that surge seems to have smoothed out a bit, it has widened out.

the vehicle does not slow as quickly when you let off the gas, idle is a bit higher sometimes especially when it is cold. I noticed while slowly rowing my way to the freeway in surface street traffic that I had to use less go pedal and more brake. It is a good thing I had my coffee or I might have rear ended someone.

Well I need more wheel time to make up my mind exactly this mod is like but so far it is Winner I had high hopes that adding that larger TB behind the Steeda CAI would be an improvement, it makes sense right, one more restriction opened up.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:51 AM
armyjared
1st Gear Member

so i'm guessing that the throttle body is worth it with the CAI? Just want to buy mods already
Old 08-03-2012, 02:02 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

@armyjared,
I think the BBK TB is worth it, I would buy all over again. I was almost a little hesitant because I had seen very little about the 73mm TB with a CAI but now that I have done it I know it was worth while.

Now that I have been driving for a few days I have am convinced it was a worthy mod. I think the computer was still adjusting/learning the first day, So it seemed a tad erratic. But now it is nice and smooth, the idle takes a just a bit longer to come down or so it seems, other then that it seems like more power on a smoother arc.

Before the new TB there was more noise from the intake, more whistling and hissing sounds, the slightly larger TB seems to have tamed that a bit.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:32 AM
armyjared
1st Gear Member

so i guess my considering the throttle body will be worth it. anyone have the K&N intake for this machine yet?
Old 08-11-2012, 08:50 AM
Abushehab
1st Gear Member

Default just bought my BBK 73 mm

Anyone installed theirs with Airaid CAI and do we need to get BAMA tune?
Old 08-11-2012, 12:29 PM
armyjared
1st Gear Member

So that would be another question do I need to splurge and buy the flash tuner as well ?
Old 08-29-2012, 05:55 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

If you don;t need the tuner for your new CIA, then you probably wont need it for the 73mm TB. I asked about it when I bought my tunes originally and I was told the the larger TB would not require a new tune. I know it seems a little counter intuitive but that is the answer I was given and in my case anyways it turned out to be true,,,

I put on the Steeda CAI,, added a 91 octane street tune,, ran it for several months then added the 73mm TB without changing the tune again. So far it runs great, lots more usable power and no problems thus far.... just more smiles.. well my girl friend did ask for an "Oh !@#$" handle" be installed but no problems with the car.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:40 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

If you do research you will find that with a stock setup the stock TB is actually plenty sufficient on these model Mustangs.

Aftermarket TB's without forced induction really wont net you any results I'm sorry to say. Remember these dyno runs are ADVERTISEMENTS, or companies endorsing products
in exchange for money and they are well known to be full of b.s. when it comes to what they show and claim for power gains.

Your money will be better spent on other performance mods.

Quick Reply: BBK 73mm throttle body