Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Gears and driveshaft?

Old 09-27-2011, 09:30 PM
pro134
1st Gear Member

Default Gears and driveshaft?

Is there any point in upgrading the stock 2.73 gear ratio? If so what does it do? And also will upgrading to an aluminum one piece driveshaft for an auto have any bennifits over the stock drive shaft? Keep in mind both of these mods would be on a daily driver car
Old 09-28-2011, 06:54 AM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

Search the forum Luke. The answers you seek are there.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:57 PM
solidhadriel
1st Gear Member

In the nicest way possible, it is evident that you do not know anything about the car and I would suggest not upgrading anything until you are familiar with the basics and understand the risks/repercussions of modding your vehicle.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:13 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Gears and a driveshaft are both great ideas and will dramatically increase performance. Not only will the rotational mass be lightened up quite a bit, but the gearing will allow the car to get into the powerband quickly! It will pull much harder.

We've built up our 2011 V6 from a stock car into an 11-second V8 killer. Check it out and let us know if there's anything we can do to help answer questions or provide advice!

http://www.americanmuscle.com/2011-v6-project-car.html
Old 10-04-2011, 12:29 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

pro134,

AMChris is right. And I'd like to point out that he KNOWS his stuff.

I would recommend you in fact give American Muscle a call, or private messaging
AMChris.... they can help educate you as far as getting into modding if you are
not familiar with things.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:20 PM
Sterling_Beauty

Id say changing the drive shaft would be a waste of $$....Yes it is lighter but it will not make a huge difference. But the gear change is a great idea. My personal opinion would be to go to a 3.73 ratio since it is your daily driver. It will give u some nice low torque and only raise your RPM's about 200 or 300 while driving 70 on the highway.

Use that $$ u are saving on the drive shaft and get a Airaid CAI and Bama Tuner....That will make u feel the diffenece more then that shaft.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:23 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sterling_Beauty
Id say changing the drive shaft would be a waste of $$....Yes it is lighter but it will not make a huge difference. But the gear change is a great idea. My personal opinion would be to go to a 3.73 ratio since it is your daily driver. It will give u some nice low torque and only raise your RPM's about 200 or 300 while driving 70 on the highway.

Use that $$ u are saving on the drive shaft and get a Airaid CAI and Bama Tuner....That will make u feel the diffenece more then that shaft.
Are you speaking from experience? Because I've heard quite the opposite, that it is a very nice improvement.

But +1 on the CAI/tune. Since best thing you can do besides forced induction
Old 10-05-2011, 06:05 AM
pro134
1st Gear Member

I actually do know quite alot about our cars and modding them I just haven't looked into the drive shaft very much. I knew as you said it would be lighter and able to handle more stress but I don't need that since I don't plan on supercharging. As far as gears I was mainly asking everyones opinion of what ratio to get. Thanks everyone that answered my question.

Sterling_beauty as far as the gears is that from your personal experience because I've heard many people swear by 4:10s for an auto?
Old 10-05-2011, 09:12 AM
solidhadriel
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pro134
Is there any point in upgrading the stock 2.73 gear ratio? If so what does it do? And also will upgrading to an aluminum one piece driveshaft for an auto have any bennifits over the stock drive shaft? Keep in mind both of these mods would be on a daily driver car
Originally Posted by pro134
I actually do know quite alot about our cars and modding them I just haven't looked into the drive shaft very much. I knew as you said it would be lighter and able to handle more stress but I don't need that since I don't plan on supercharging. As far as gears I was mainly asking everyones opinion of what ratio to get. Thanks everyone that answered my question.

Sterling_beauty as far as the gears is that from your personal experience because I've heard many people swear by 4:10s for an auto?
You've contradicted yourself. It looks as if after making your post you went and did a quick search on each of the subjects (which would have been more helpful to you if you did that prior to asking your questions.)

I'm not sure if I've ever heard anyone swear by 4.10's for our 3.7 autos, but that would be one of the worst possible mods you could do on a daily driver.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:36 AM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

I think either 3.55 or 3.73 would be the sweet spot for gears. As for the DS, not only do you shed like 8-10lbs of rotational mass. The independent dyno results also show about 8hp/tq increase as well. A little pricey for the power output, but combined with the added strength, reliability and less rotational mass I think it's worth it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gears and driveshaft?