Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

V6 any regrets??

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 10:35 PM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

I have no regets, but I did ride along on a test drive in a new GT this weekend. I refused to take the driver's seat, just in case I found cause to hate myself....

Anyways, The two cars were much more similar than I expected. I could feel a difference in the spring rates. Cornering was more confident with the larger diameter wheels. Traction in a turn was clearly improved with the 19" wheels over the 17" (duh).
Braking was nearly identical. We decided the lighter V6 makes better use of the brakes. Both cars had the same brake equipment.
Acceleration from 1200 rpm wasn't so different, but the added torque made it's self apparent as the tach passed 3k. After 4000 rpm, it was a different world. This is something to think about. These cars really were designed to be docile around town in everyday driving (below 3000 rpm). You really can live down there in both cars, even amid freeway traffic. If you aren't prone to make every gear change like you're coming off pit road at Daytona, then the V6 is a very easy choice to live with. If you aren't happy unless you grin pulling away from every light, then you would drive the V8 and find plenty of reason to regret the V6. The V6 does actually have enough power to get away from you if you have a lapse in attention while hammering on it in the wrong conditions. The V8 is better described as having enough power to exceed most driver's skill level and get them into situations they have never faced before. Everyone can learn, but the forgiveness quotient is quite a bit shorter in the V8.
One thing that did surprise me, they sound amazingly similar from the cabin. Not the same, but clearly related.
After a long ride in the passenger seat, we compared some notes and I came away thinking the difference in the monthly payment was about equal to the difference in straight line performance, but not worthwhile in my case. I did not see any justification for the added expense in any category aside from pure acceleration. I'll keep mine...

...for now...
Old 10-19-2011, 09:55 AM
solidhadriel
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by regalt87
Yes. I do regret the V6 purchase for one reason. I am a former owner of 2 1970 Boss 302's and didn't think I could stand the ADM of the new ones. Now MSRP and soon below sticker.

I procharged,headers, high flow cats and X pipe,gears,control arms,watts link,shifter,driveshaft and 3 appearance mods and am thinking about selling my 2011 V6 PP car.

The car handles great and is a very low 12 second car, possibly high 11's although I have never raced it. (I am comparing to others with a similar set up)
It may be as fast as the Boss? Maybe a little bit quicker? who knows.
Why are you considering selling your car?
Old 10-19-2011, 01:19 PM
regalt87

Originally Posted by solidhadriel
Why are you considering selling your car?
I love the car but have an opportunity to purchase a 69 Boss 302 that is fairly priced and in fair to good condition. I have been doing collision and restoring and doing paint work for 30 years so I can do all of this car my self which helps. The only way I can buy the Boss is to sell my car.

Did some EDITING, The 2013 Boss is not my highesty priority

Last edited by regalt87; 11-14-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:54 PM
solidhadriel
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by regalt87
I love the car but have an opportunity to purchase a 69 Boss 302 that is fairly priced and in fair to good condition. I have been doing collision and restoring and doing paint work for 30 years so I can do all of this car my self which helps. If I sell it, I buy the 69 and sell that I can go a long way toward paying for a 2013 Boss in Grabber blue. BTW I have a dealer that will sell it to me 1K over his cost. That helps also.
Sounds like a win-win, but I remember long ago when you first bought your car, didn't you purchase it for the intent of saving on gas?
Old 10-19-2011, 07:15 PM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by EP2010
v8 is awsome the insurance sucks for one .but worth it ,the v6 is competive but the v8 has alot better transmission and sounds alot nicer than the v6 ,dont get me wrong i love both cars if i had the option to buy either one i go with the v8 all the way
Re insurance sucks, not here as I pay under 500.00 per year full coverage and it's not a GT. Yahoo for me I guess
Old 10-20-2011, 01:19 AM
Mach 1 Mark

Wink

I like my V-6, has plenty of excitement for driving around town. I would have bought a 5.0 but I promised my Pony to my daughter when she turns 16 ( 4 years from now). I will probably do some mild mods later down the road but have to be careful not to make it too fast.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:20 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

No regrets, great car for distance driving.....now just need to decide which one of these will look better sitting next to it in the driveway? srt8 did not ride as nice as the r/t.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:53 PM
slayerizer

Originally Posted by 6+6 Stang
No regrets, great car for distance driving.....now just need to decide which one of these will look better sitting next to it in the driveway? srt8 did not ride as nice as the r/t.
Wow, what a great dilemma you're stuck with. I prefer the look of the striped one.. so if you take the right one, make sure you put stripes on it.

I love that car, but never drove it.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:03 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

R/T is going to be just a smudge faster than the Mustang. Get the SRT..... Better yet get the new Charger. That way you have a coupe and a sedan!
Old 10-23-2011, 01:54 AM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Which Mustang are you referring to, the 6 I am assuming.

Quick Reply: V6 any regrets??