Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

New Hood? New Grill?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 02:12 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

Default New Hood? New Grill?

Some debris fell of a Cement Mixer on the freeway and dinged up my Mustang so I have a pending insurance claim. When things move forward I was thinking of seeing if I could upgrade my hood and maybe my grill.

So my question is about saving weight more then anything, what kind of hood would be a best option?

I know there is a place near by that makes carbon fiber hoods and they are around $500 installed. If you buy something like that would you bother to have it painted?

Is fiber glass lighter then carbon fiber?

Between fiber glass and carbon fiber, which last the longest?

As for the Grill I was thinking maybe I would up grade to one of the take off grill with the fog lights in it?

or maybe just a plane blacked out grill?

Oh and the windshield is pitted as well but I don't have any plans to do anything but replace it with the same windshield unless someone has a better idea.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:44 AM
SC_Kona_Blue

I have a CF hood and painted around the scoop. I get a ton of compliments for doing that. Fiberglass is heavier than CF. When you are looking some aftermarket hoods can not use hood struts. Hood struts are awesome.

Also note that you will have to relocate your wiper nozzles with most aftermarket hoods. I remounted mine inside the cowling because putting them on the wiper blade is kinda stupid looking IMHO.

http://v6mustangperformance.com/modi...le-relocation/

as for the grill get a black billet unit. They look great and will look and feel better than the plastic factory piece. I have lots of pics of that also.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:46 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

My 3.7 is at the body shop. A new hood was not in the cards this time. I am getting a new billet grill though, plain gloss Black powder coat. This is an insurance claim so I asked how much latitude I had on changing parts and the short version of the story was just the grill. It is something though, I get something nice for the price of my deductible and a lot of hassle.

If I could only find that cement truck and get the rest of the lic # and any other identifying numbers then the cement truck company will reimburse me. But for now they are denying my claim because I only had a partial number and they just could care less.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:56 AM
twinsemi

There is always small claims court. Up to $10K now and they will probably just roll over for you deal.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:09 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

I may file in small claims to get my deductible back, I may as well ask for some money for lost wages as well since I had to take some time off from work to drop off/pick up, get a rental and what not. Thanks for the suggestion.

So far it is going well, I got the Mustang back with a new paint job (guaranteed for life), new head lights, chin spoiler, windshield and what not. ($3600+ in damages!)

I made arrangements to order the billet grill which is Made in the USA! and the body shop already cut me a check for the grill even though it has not been delivered yet. The grill set includes matching grills for the fog light inserts which is kind of cool. I would not normally spend money on something like that but it was basically free to me.

Last edited by WORKISSLOW; 03-08-2012 at 04:12 PM.