Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Oil, Regular, Blend or Full Synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 06:31 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Answering the OP's question about what Amsoil product I use...

When I was cranking on the miles on the Stang at about 30k per year and it wasn't even my DD, I was using Amsoil's 0W20 ASM oil and their 25k mile filter, with changes at 10k miles. Since the g/f moved in with me, I'm lucky to put 5k miles per year on the Stang now so I've switched to Pennzoil Ultra and will be using the OE filter. This way I'm changing the oil and filter once/year on a time base in lieu of mileage. The Amsoil was simply too costly; even with my preferred buyers discount; to justify putting only 5k-6k miles on before draining.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:04 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

Well I might go blind or insane if I read anymore stuff about motor oil, but I still have to make a choice.

One thing I noticed is that you will commonly see it stated that Mobil 1 is not "Full Synthetic" made from real Synthetic Stock ( Grade IV or V (I think). How ever the Mobil 1 I keep seeing online and on the self seems to be Full Synthetic. I am not sure if this some confusion in advertising or just our of date information.

It is tough to go looking for Data and trying to get data that is formatted the same way as well.

For the time being I am leaning towards the Amoil Signature Series 15-20 which is rated for 1 year / 25k miles and a high Mileage Filter. I have to say it is tough for me to make the leap when it comes to the long drain interval, that requires a lot of faith.

The issues that stick in my mind are film strength, long term friction protection and efficiency. It is the notion that most wear happens on start up (cold start) that stays with me. Most all of my driving will be commuting to work on the freeway. I want something that protects the motor and preserves long term effeminacy. Fewer oil changes are very appealing, I will drive 15,000-20,000 miles in a year so I should be safely in the range of a product like Amsoils Signature series.

I just don't know how much more research I can stomach before my impending first oil change?

Or if I have enough faith to trust an oil and filter for 12 months.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:48 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

For what it is worth I went with the Amsoil Signature Series Oil and high Milage filter. I ordered it over the phone and it was on my door step the next day by lunch time, can't beat that. I guess only time will tell if I made the best choice or not but for now I am content that I did all the home work I could think of to make an informed choice.

From what I understand Amsoil has a service to test your motor oil much like blackstone does. I am going to look into that.

The one thing I did notice was that the motor does seem quieter, I was not expecting that. I did check the motor temps at idle before and after I change the oil and it seemed about the same, but then again this was just at adle in the driveway on a cool but sunny aftrenoon.

Last edited by WORKISSLOW; 12-15-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:38 AM
OlPal
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WORKISSLOW
Since we can find good anicdotal evidence on oil like that Royal Purple link, I was thinking I may as well look for the more scientific evidence/ data.
I am thinking of comparing information on the following oils:

Motorcraft Synthetic Blend
Mobile 1 Synthetic (and maybe Extended Performance)
Royal Purple
Amsoil
Redline

I am open to suggestions on other oils especially if you happen to know where to find the data (data sheets) on other oils for the sake of comparison. I have noticed that not all data sheets list exactly the same data, kind of odd, not sure if they just get stripped down for the sake of brevity or what? I would like to plug it all into a spread sheet, but I am not sure if that can be posted in a thread here or not?
Anyways I know this will take some time because not only are there several brands to consider but each brand makes a veriety of products.

Here is some links to some of the data sheets:

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricant...0Synthetic.pdf (motorcraft)

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...l_1_5W-20.aspx (typical Properties)

http://www.syntheticoildistributor.c...load/g1404.pdf (Amsoil)

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=1&pcid=21 (Bottom of the page)

This is the link to API that sets standards for some of the testing, I did not find their website all that helpful but maybe someone else can find something useful on there.
http://www.api.org/ (American Petroleum Institute)

Just curious; Why no consideration of Penzoil Synthetic ???

I have been using that plus K&N oil filters. But I'm going to change to the NEW FRAM Ultra-Synthetic filters since K&N have outsourced out of U.S.A. production... On my Ram 1500 Hemi the Fram XG 2 is the ultra synthetic filter.
I'll be checking "Bob the Oil Guy" forum 1st though !!
Old 10-26-2014, 05:21 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Default 2014 DIB 3.7 w/ sport shift "Blue Cyclone"

I used Castrol Edge for many years, then I did some research myself and saw the new Valvoline synthetic and am using it with Lucas oil stabilizer, 5 to 1 ratio. I'd use Redline if I could get a good deal or sponsorship.
Attached Thumbnails Oil, Regular, Blend or Full Synthetic-tn_october-2014-turnaround-008.jpg  
Old 11-05-2014, 11:48 PM
OlPal
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by audioAl
I used Castrol Edge for many years, then I did some research myself and saw the new Valvoline synthetic and am using it with Lucas oil stabilizer, 5 to 1 ratio. I'd use Redline if I could get a good deal or sponsorship.

Having done your research, I'm curious what Lucas's stand is on mixing their product with a High Quality Pure Synthetic Oil ???
Old 11-07-2014, 12:41 PM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

my first reccomended oil change at 7000, Mobil 1 with motorcraft filter. I used Mobil 1 in my pevious car for 5 yrs, no need to change a good thing I guess
Old 11-07-2014, 11:47 PM
OlPal
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Choppertwo
my first reccomended oil change at 7000, Mobil 1 with motorcraft filter. I used Mobil 1 in my pevious car for 5 yrs, no need to change a good thing I guess

You sound like a Man with a Good Plan !!!!
Since we drive our Pony less than 4,000 miles year the Ford Tech didn't even bother putting a date on my sticker, just the recommended milage to next change, which I thought was Total Class on his part..
I gave Royal Purple, M1, Pennzoil Platinum all a good look & went with the Pennzoil Platinum [not to be confused with their NEW Platinum Ultra]
I think M1 is a very good choice..
If you ever want to read some guys who are dead serious about their oil;
Bobistheoilguy.com

The Royal Purple get Crazy reports & support there, with pictures to back it up!
Old 11-08-2014, 06:49 AM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Choppertwo
I forgot to mention full synthetic, just tuned 12000, another 2-3000 and i'll do it again
Old 11-09-2014, 09:47 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I know some will say I'm wasting my money, but I use full synthetic (Pennzoil Ultra 5W20)
and I change it every 5K miles. Filters? A good one. I always felt oil is cheaper than metal.

Quick Reply: Oil, Regular, Blend or Full Synthetic