Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Oil, Regular, Blend or Full Synthetic

Old 11-01-2011, 04:05 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

Default Oil, Regular, Blend or Full Synthetic

It is time for my first Oil Change (3,000 miles), naturally I have to obsess about it a bit before I do it. My first inclination is just to run Mobile 1, add some Lucas with a Mobile 1 filter. If I do that I feel confidant about stretching my oil change interval out to 7,500 miles. I used Mobile 1 on most of my vehicles before with the exception of my Scout I use Rotella in that (yes it has a gas engine). I am thinking the full synthetic is a nice trade off, spend more money up front and then spend less time and money changing oil.

I have never used Amsoil and I am wondering if that is a better choice. (in put welcome)

I once read a write up by consumer report, they had done a test with taxi cars, they determined it did not matter what oil you used as long as changed your oil every 3,000 miles. I have always sort of used that as a bench mark, of course that was a while back and I don’t recall there being any information about the longer life of synthetic oils.

As for oil filters, I have been convinced in the past that filters like mobile 1, Wicks and Motorcraft were well designed while many other leave something to be desired. I have been cutting open oil filters ever since I read this really long thread know as the “Lube Wars” on another site. So I am pretty confident about those brands. I would imagine there are some other good brands out there as well.

I am somewhat tempted to just use the Motorcraft synthetic blend and shorten my oil change intervals, but since I do the changes myself, it would be nice to do it less often.

One more idea I am curious about is the BG products, I guess certain garages sell BG Products and if you go to one of these places and have your fluids replaced with BG Products they intern provide you will an extensive warranty on your motor, Trans, etc. The thing is I don’t anyone who has tried BG Products, I have no idea if it just some run of the mill product or if it worth the money. So if any knows anything about BG Products I would like to hear it.

I live in So. Cal. So the it is warm here, rarely freezes and most of my driving is just commuting to work on the free way.

Link to another Oil Thread,
https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-0l...ifferance.html

After reading this thread, I was wondering why they just don't drain the oil for the winter while their cars are in storage?
Old 11-01-2011, 04:40 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

To further complicate things I see that Amsoil has motor oil that is meant to be at differnt intervals.
regular service intervals (3,000-10,000 $6.10 per quart),
10,000/6 month ($7.65 per quart )
25,000 miles/1year ($10.15 per quart)

http://www.thesuperiorsynthetic.com/..._oe_level.html

They also have a 6 months prefered customer trial plan with discounts

http://www.enhancedsyntheticoil.com/...FQRShwod9SyWNg
Old 11-01-2011, 06:15 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

I called a place around the corner from work that does Oil Changes with BG Products, It would cost $69.99. They do offer an extended warranty if you use their products regularly. I will have to look up the details on what that is exactly.

The guy I talk to said he did not think there was any problem waiting to 5,000 mile for the oil change even if it was the first one. So I may wait a bit. He also thought it was better to use the synthetic blend rather then the full synthetic. He claimed there was more protection for the engine parts on cold starts.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I believe the 3.7's come with synthetic blend just like all of the 05-10's, V6 and GT alike. But it depends on what you're looking for. Synthetic blend is good for 7500 miles as is the OE filter. I'd run it no more than 7000 miles, tops; 5,000 miles if you do any stop-n-go. Anything sooner is a waste.

Full synthetics are good for 8,000-15,000 miles or more. Anything sooner is a waste.

You'll get the same longevity out of your engine doing dino at 3,000 miles, blend at 7,000 miles or synthetic at 10,000+ miles.

I use Amsoil in the Stang (or used to when I was piling on the miles) just so I didn't have to get underneath every 5k or 7k miles. I use M1 in my SUV (tow vehicle) and change it at an early 8,000 miles solely due to the amount of towing I do.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:43 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

When all fails...

Seriously...
I run full synthetic (Mobil1) and change it at about 8000 or so.
Like Nuke said, anything sooner is a waste and if you do mostly highway miles, you can stretch it a lot more.
I would change the filter at around 8000 no matter what though...
Old 11-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Royal Purple or M1 here
Old 11-02-2011, 12:40 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

I ran mobile 1 + Lucas in my 01 explorer for 187,000 miles, and I never had any problems and I know the 4.0L SOC motors need good oil or they tend have problems with the plastic spockets on the back of the motor.

I use to run mobile 1 + lucas in my ex's 97 S10 Blazer and it had 242,000 miles on it when we traded that in, that motor was still running strong. The only thing that was troublesome on it at the end was the damn spider for the fuel system.

@Nuke, yes my Mustang came with the synthetic blend, as I hear they all do now.
So Nuke which Amsoil product do you use?

It seems like Amsoil is no more expensive then Mobile1 or Royal Purple, depending on which exact product your talking about.

I always change my filter when I change my oil, personally I think it might be more important then the oil. I use filters that are designed to prevent particles from accidently being back washed into the oil. Anyways I always thought there was no point in skimping on $5-$10 for a filter while you were changing your oil.

I noticed that no one has mentioned using any additives like Lucas or one of the others that claim to offer more protection on cold starts? I think we all pretty much agree that cold starts cause most of the wear?

Does anyone suppose it is true that the synthetic blends offer more protection on cold starts then full synthetic?
Old 11-02-2011, 09:47 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

You dont need to use lucas, all it is, is a oil thickener. It has no additives or cleaner in it. For the best cold start protection your going to want to run a group 4 or 5 synthetic oil, like amsoil (4)l, redline(5), or royal purple(4). See the difference https://mustangforums.com/forum/oil-...ustang-gt.html
Old 11-03-2011, 11:16 AM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

That was a good read, those pictures are mighty convincing.
If you got an extra 1 mile per gallon and changed your oil at 8000 miles you would save at least $40 on gas. That right there would make it worth using RP or amsoil. If you look at the gas savings and longer interval like short term gains and the less wear as a long term gain it all adds up to an amazing deal.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:44 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

Since we can find good anicdotal evidence on oil like that Royal Purple link, I was thinking I may as well look for the more scientific evidence/ data.
I am thinking of comparing information on the following oils:

Motorcraft Synthetic Blend
Mobile 1 Synthetic (and maybe Extended Performance)
Royal Purple
Amsoil
Redline

I am open to suggestions on other oils especially if you happen to know where to find the data (data sheets) on other oils for the sake of comparison. I have noticed that not all data sheets list exactly the same data, kind of odd, not sure if they just get stripped down for the sake of brevity or what? I would like to plug it all into a spread sheet, but I am not sure if that can be posted in a thread here or not?
Anyways I know this will take some time because not only are there several brands to consider but each brand makes a veriety of products.

Here is some links to some of the data sheets:

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricant...0Synthetic.pdf (motorcraft)

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...l_1_5W-20.aspx (typical Properties)

http://www.syntheticoildistributor.c...load/g1404.pdf (Amsoil)

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=1&pcid=21 (Bottom of the page)

This is the link to API that sets standards for some of the testing, I did not find their website all that helpful but maybe someone else can find something useful on there.
http://www.api.org/ (American Petroleum Institute)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil, Regular, Blend or Full Synthetic