Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Dealer says they can't install 3.31 gears in '12 v6

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 03:10 PM
StangisSwag
2nd Gear Member

meh, typical response, they put out a very customizable car and then warn that you shouldnt touch it, im still going to do all the mods i have in mind, dont worry about the gears; change them to what you want.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:57 PM
oldncrusty

Originally Posted by Radioguy
Actually, I think you will find that the Ford Dealers can't flash the 2011+ cars for any gear that wasn't either standard or optional on the VIN of the car. The 2011+ verts did not have 3:31 as a factory option - the coupes did. I had that discussion with my dealer - later heard that new 2011+ECU tools don't allow "non-optional" change to the ECU.
My vert came stock with a 3.31 rear end. I dunno...maybe it's a Canadian market thing, kinda like the spare tire kit in the trunk.

2011 v6 Premium Convertible, SG metallic.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:49 PM
radioguy1

Originally Posted by djoneill
@Radioguy - thanks, that is interesting. I contacted Ford through their customer service department, and they pretty much confirmed I'm out of luck if I want 3.31 gears and a factory tune:

Hi Dave,

My name is Name Omitted and I am from Ford's Customer Service Division. Let me first thank you for being a loyal Ford customer. I had the opportunity to read your e-mail regarding the modification of the axle ratio with your new 2012 Ford Mustang Convertible. I appreciate the opportunity you are giving us to assist you.

First, let me congratulate you on your recent Ford Mustang purchase. I am sure you will enjoy every feature offered by your superb vehicle.

Ford Motor Company does not recommend changes to our products. Only changes that have been thoroughly tested and approved by Ford Engineering should be considered. Also, modifications to your vehicle could result in its not meeting either Federal Emission Control Standards or any applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard.

If you need further assistance with this matter, I invite you to speak with the Parts Manager of your Dealership, as he/she can best address your request. If you need assistance with obtaining your local Dealer's contact information, please visit www.fordowner.com.

We sincerely thank you for taking the time to write to us. Have a great day!

Sincerely,
Name Omitted
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

@StangisSwag - yes, a tuner can change the rear axle ratio, but only by loading a custom tune on your PCM, which could void your powertrain warranty (at best, blow your motor at worst).
I went through this discussion with Ford again recently. Several dealers, including the primary Ford Racing Sales dealer in the city. I also went though email and telephone conversations with two Ford Customer interface groups. Same story. Dealers don't have a tool to let them flash a Mustang for an option that wasn't available with my VIN number car (Convertibles were only available with 2.73 differential gears in 2011). Two dealers said I could get an aftermarket tuner and change the differential gear setting, but both said they thought that would void my warranty on the engine/drivetrain (They were happy to install the new differential gears and warranty the gears and work for one year)(Need the differential program change due to the automatic transmission). I talked with "Ford Racing" and they confirmed what I heard from the other parts of Ford. I asked about a Mustang V6 Ford Racing calibration and they said NO - not happening.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:22 PM
djoneill
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the update. Maybe we can get our convertibles flashed with the canadian program for 3.31 gears?

Probably not since it's a US VIN that wasn't avaialble with Canadian gears?

EDIT
Could solving this problem be as simple as hooking up a speed calibrator to the transmission VSS output?

I haven't been able to find one for the MT-82, but I suspect calibrators will be available for our transmissions soon.

Last edited by djoneill; 04-25-2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:57 AM
OlPal
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by radioguy1
I went through this discussion with Ford again recently. Several dealers, including the primary Ford Racing Sales dealer in the city. I also went though email and telephone conversations with two Ford Customer interface groups. Same story. Dealers don't have a tool to let them flash a Mustang for an option that wasn't available with my VIN number car (Convertibles were only available with 2.73 differential gears in 2011). Two dealers said I could get an aftermarket tuner and change the differential gear setting, but both said they thought that would void my warranty on the engine/drivetrain (They were happy to install the new differential gears and warranty the gears and work for one year)(Need the differential program change due to the automatic transmission). I talked with "Ford Racing" and they confirmed what I heard from the other parts of Ford. I asked about a Mustang V6 Ford Racing calibration and they said NO - not happening.

Radioguy, this is truly bad news as I'm in the planning stages of changing to 3.55 gear along with Magnaflow Cat-Back exhaust along with a 'Bama Tuner !! I did talk with a Ford Technician, & he thought it wouldn't mess up my warranty. As I'm also planning to purchase the 7 year ext warranty !!!
Old 12-05-2014, 08:01 PM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by OlPal
Radioguy, this is truly bad news as I'm in the planning stages of changing to 3.55 gear along with Magnaflow Cat-Back exhaust along with a 'Bama Tuner !! I did talk with a Ford Technician, & he thought it wouldn't mess up my warranty. As I'm also planning to purchase the 7 year ext warranty !!!
Save you money on any aftermarket warranty if you plan on doing any mods to a car, they do not work like the factory warranty, changing the gears can void the engine warranty let alone putting the tuner on it.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:24 PM
OlPal
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Siber Express
Save you money on any aftermarket warranty if you plan on doing any mods to a car, they do not work like the factory warranty, changing the gears can void the engine warranty let alone putting the tuner on it.

Since I'm planning on a Extended Ford 7 year warranty, I will ask & get assurances that my 3.55 gears, 'Bama Tuner, & Magnaflow CatBack Exhaust won't have any effects on their 7 yr warranty !!
Maybe our Forum Ford rep can give an opinion !!!
Old 12-06-2014, 11:01 PM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

The difference between Factory and aftermarket warranties, Factory they have to prove the part caused the problem, aftermarket you have to prove it didn't.
Just make sure you read the fine print, some of the non Ford aftermarket warranties will void the whole powertrain for changing Mufflers, gears and the Tuner will blow it right out.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:49 PM
IvanRad
2nd Gear Member

okay lets start with the fact that you said you want to avoid flashing a tune? why cause the cost?
Well lets add this up. if you have a tuner (new costs 300$) and a tune ( VMPTune 59-99$) you can correct your spedo and install the gears yourself.
I personally would do the work myself since the last shop that worked on my car installed a 3.55 rear end with extended brackets for lowering a ford racing diff cover . Was suppose to cost me 440$ Total ended up really costing 1645$.
I start driving home and the car is shaking after 40 miles..

The shop didnt torque down the wheels enough.

End of story do your own work grab a tuner order a vmptune. Crank every bolt to spec double check with ford and on forums on how to do all your own work.
sorry for the rant but im sick of people telling you that you cant do something because they are not allowed to.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:04 PM
OlPal
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by OlPal
Since I'm planning on a Extended Ford 7 year warranty, I will ask & get assurances that my 3.55 gears, 'Bama Tuner, & Magnaflow CatBack Exhaust won't have any effects on their 7 yr warranty !!
Maybe our Forum Ford rep can give an opinion !!!

As I was getting my New Michelons mounted up to my new Saleen Wheels [that's another story] I asked my service rep about the factory warranty & the things I wanted to change.

He said as long as I use Motorcraft or FRP parts the rear end would be covered if the work was done by them !! & that they could flash the Puter for the new 3.55 gears & speedo..
He didn't know why some said serial # stopped other shops!
the 1 caveat, he quoted $500 to $600 to install gears & Puter flash !!
Sounds a little Rich for a Ol'Dog..

As for the exhaust; if it's installed properly & can't be proven the fault of a warranty problem it Okay !!

Quick Reply: Dealer says they can't install 3.31 gears in '12 v6