Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

driveshalf for 3.7 v6

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 09:47 AM
richashley

I've read here that one of the reasons for the speed limiter on V6's is the weak driveshaft. Does the Performance Package include a stronger driveshaft? Do PP equipped cars have the speed limiter?
Old 01-05-2012, 11:04 AM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

I wouldn't say it's weak, just designed to specification.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:18 AM
SC_Kona_Blue

Originally Posted by Joenpb
I've got a Shaftmasters DS and talked with them about it & we traded PM's on this subject. Basically what they said is none of their DS's have failed on the road or track. Only on the Dyno, hence the reason they believe heat is a factor in the failures. They explained the failures as something they've never seen before, basically the shafts that failed, twisted apart.
You are correct. Thanks for the clarification. However those dyno pulls were at 140+ MPH. And also may have been faster than 6800 RPM. The PP mustangs did not have a different driveshaft.

I have my pinon angle set at 1.5 deg negative and have run the ShaftMasters shaft hard on the 1/4 track and at Hallet Road course which has 3 straights that hit double digit speeds. Now multiply that by 30 or so laps.

It seems pretty clear that a harmonic vibration at those 140+ speeds exceed the factory specs. Shame on Ford for cutting it so close. I am certainly going to keep it under 130 MPH.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:37 PM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

I'm awaiting The Axle Exchange's restocking of their DS's (AM carries them). Supposed to be back in stock 12th-14th sometime.

Reduction of rotational mass isn't a bad trade-off for some extra piece-of-mind as well..
Old 01-06-2012, 02:34 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

Doesn't it seem like the shock load of shifting gears would do more damage then just driving at 140 mph? We have all seen the video by now and read the posts suggesting that somewhere over 135mph the 6er DSs blow up, but I would suspect there is more to it then just speed. Does anyone check to see how much distortion they are getting in their DSs?
Old 01-07-2012, 11:22 AM
sketchy00
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WORKISSLOW
Doesn't it seem like the shock load of shifting gears would do more damage then just driving at 140 mph? We have all seen the video by now and read the posts suggesting that somewhere over 135mph the 6er DSs blow up, but I would suspect there is more to it then just speed. Does anyone check to see how much distortion they are getting in their DSs?
Look to the failure of "Galloping Gertie" (Tacoma Narrow's bridge) as a case study in harmonics, and the damage it can do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-zczJXSxnw
Old 01-07-2012, 07:00 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

save your $$$$$ had a shaftmasters on my '10 GT other than one peice, 15 lbs lighter, still jerked if let clutch out wrong, same smoothness as stock, looked nice, other than that,not no night and day feel. if your race for a living might help being lighter, still a lighter weight, 600.00 anchor.

and my wife giving the shaft lol

Last edited by 6+6 Stang; 01-07-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:57 PM
wrxified
2nd Gear Member

Shaftmasters doesn't make a driveshaft for the 2011+ V6 anymore.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:24 AM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

I was just referring to SM, stock shaft keep it, spend your 600 to 800 else where I guess what meant. But done modding the stang, with a Harley in family now and days like yesterday being 72 out stang got enough attention in past, maybe things will change and that 2014 50th anniversary stang will catch my eye lol
Old 01-08-2012, 09:34 AM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wrxified
Shaftmasters doesn't make a driveshaft for the 2011+ V6 anymore.
The Axle Exchange still does - AM carries them and should be back in stock (when I queried earlier in the month) around the 12-14th for manuals, TBA unfortunately for Autos.

AE's DS is 4" compared to SM's 3.5", maybe they figured out something that SM hadn't yet, or just beefed it and decided the reduction in rotational weight wasn't as necessary as a DS that is solid and doesn't grenade?

Wish we had some SM and AE folks that could come in here and discuss with us owners (and potential customers).

The more I do see that video, the more I wonder what sort of pains the kid put his car through before he decided to 'camera his high speed' and had his DS detonate 'while' happening to cam those speeds. (Makes me think he knew what was coming to some degree).

Quick Reply: driveshalf for 3.7 v6