Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

electric supercharger ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Yvan Lacroix

Default electric supercharger ???

Anyone pony up for one of these

http://www.superchargertuning.com/Ford/Mustang/

If the fan performs the idea is not all that bad, but the fan would need to be working continuously, if not it will create restriction in the air flow. While there claims of 80HP sound way too good to be close to being true, if it can crank out enough CFM to positively charge the intake track definitely some ponies could be gained.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:53 PM
JimC

Don't waste your money - these things have been proven to do one thing:

Act as a cork in your intake and disturb the flow. People keep buying them apparently because they keep coming up but they won't do anything. I just read something that said in order to provide any of the claimed boost these things would need a voltage well in excess of what the car can put out (not quite 1.21 gigawatts but the comparison is close).
Old 03-11-2012, 09:48 AM
PaulWuzHere

Just the description on the web page should give it away

With the superchargers in our shops, you are able to give your stylish brand of Ford Mustang a new engine performance and the speed that your need to win the motor race. The bolt on supercharger are built to give your engine a new look. The horse power will automatically shoot with over 80 hp necessary to make you accelerate at a winner’s speed.

Also, I thought these ebay POS things died out like 4 years ago...

I remember reading some awesome stories of kids complaining about the fans breaking and pieces being sucked into their honda throttle bodies
Old 03-11-2012, 09:34 PM
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

I've seen ONE test where they made some power, but what was really going on was the the "electric supercharger" was actually mucking with the MAF signal and the rest of the car was trying to compensate.

Baaaaaad idea. Don't do it!
Old 03-11-2012, 10:10 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Might as well get a throttle body spacer while you're at it....
both are a waste of money and a bad idea.

If you really want a supercharger, look for deals on used XChargers, Vortechs, and Prochargers. And of course turbo kits. You can't go wrong with a good setup
Old 03-11-2012, 10:16 PM
conor1148
2nd Gear Member

I've seen something just like this in person on a honda. It did an AWESOME job of making the intake sound like a pissed off cat howling. It was the funniest thing I ever heard.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:18 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

lol I didn't know people were still falling for this.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:29 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

A bone stock GT intake flows around 700-800 cfm (new v6 shouldn't be all too different), while that tiny fan will not get you more than 50-100 if you are lucky and those blades are well designed.

Like JimC said, that fan is disturbing airflow more than it is helping add to it. Those thicker blades are adding more drag and better "flow of air" but also blocking the intake at the same time.

Stick to an SCT tuner and a regular CAI from a reputable manufacturer.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:45 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

If you are going to use an electric fan for boost you need to buy the "Mr. Fusion" to power it.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:37 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by WORKISSLOW
If you are going to use an electric fan for boost you need to buy the "Mr. Fusion" to power it.
If he does that he'll have the 1.21 gigawatts that is required to turn it fast enough!

Quick Reply: electric supercharger ???