Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Tread wear on factory Pirelli Zeros Neros?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 10:51 AM
mfvert2011
1st Gear Member

Default Tread wear on factory Pirelli Zeros Neros?

My car has 18,800 miles on it and is a daily driver. Ford dealer told me at my last oil change that the tires will have to be replaced soon because of wear. Wanted to sell me a set of Pirelli Zero Nero All-Season (18-inch wheels) for $850 minus $75 rebate.
What's the deal here? The tread doesn't look that bad to me. Dealer ripoff?
Old 03-13-2012, 05:30 PM
Upsh1ft
2nd Gear Member

Mind taking a picture and posting(of your current tires) so we can see how worn they are? How close are they to the "replacement" markers on the tires?
Old 03-13-2012, 06:59 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

I've got 32k on my factory Pirellis and I can probably get another 5k easily. I plan to replace them with something stickier - Continental Extreme Contact DW's.

Last edited by kzonts; 03-14-2012 at 05:38 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:06 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

I like those Contis. Other people are reporting 20k miles out of their Pirellis. I got the all season version and they are supposed to last 50k miles I think.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:14 PM
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Do you know about the "penny trick" to check your tread depth? If so, what do you get?

I would be totally unsurprised to see replacement at ~20k miles. Soft compound tire = great stick = poor life.

Do you want an all-around tire or a super track special?
Old 03-13-2012, 08:26 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I asked the same question about treadwear on the stock P's about a month or so ago due to the remaining tread on the OE P's on the wife's '06 were beginning to hydroplane. She only had about 19k miles on them and they probably could have gone another 5k or so if it wasn't for the hydroplaning and the nail she picked up in one. So I asked and I was suprised at the range of responses from low teens to 30k and even a few 40k's. Maybe it didn't ever rain where those higher mileage guys lived...
Old 03-13-2012, 08:39 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I asked the same question about treadwear on the stock P's about a month or so ago due to the remaining tread on the OE P's on the wife's '06 were beginning to hydroplane. She only had about 19k miles on them and they probably could have gone another 5k or so if it wasn't for the hydroplaning and the nail she picked up in one. So I asked and I was suprised at the range of responses from low teens to 30k and even a few 40k's. Maybe it didn't ever rain where those higher mileage guys lived...
It doesn't rain much here in SC, but the tread is still pretty good at ~32k on mine. However I plan to replace them very soon. I've also been running a plug one of them for quite a while.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:44 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

I have about 45k on my stock tires. Only replaced one so far because I had a blow out on the interstate. Tread rating is 400, so 40k would be ideal on them.

Do they need replaced? Yes. Are they bald/dangerous/cords showing? No. Do I have dough for new stickier tires? No
Old 03-13-2012, 10:20 PM
JimC

<20,000 miles? Do you do lots of burnouts and drifting to cause premature wear????

I have been getting around 50,000 miles on the Pirelli Pzero Nero's - in 197,000 miles I think I had 4 sets of tires.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:42 AM
Upsh1ft
2nd Gear Member

Mine were at 15 000 miles before I put em away for the winter and are getting worn to a point I think I might replace them in another 9000 miles(or a grand total of 24 000). I also have the factory Pirelli P-Zero Neros.

I keep hearing stories here and there that the OE batches never last as long as a retail set of the same tires but Im highly skeptical of this claim lol.

Personally, I don't do burnouts or drifts at all. I do however have a heavy foot for accelerating and passing and love me some spirited driving on some twisty roads. I should also mention that in the province of quebec we have TERRIBLE roads. Pretty rough stuff which probably doesn't help with the thread life. Same with my driving.

I had researched about the Continental Extreme Contact DW's but some of the reviews on Tirerack scared me away. Stories from chunks of thread being ripped off on road courses to many claims that they just aren't as responsive and have a softer sidewall than the pirellis ended up turning me off. After my experience with winter tires, last thing I want is to neuter the character of my car, even if it's by a little. Plus these pirelli's have a good combination of grip on the dry and are the best tires I've ever experienced in the rain. My dad struggles more in torrential downpours with his 2010 F-150 FX4 with factory tires.

I already decided id stick to that model of tire next time around. Threadlife be damned.

Quick Reply: Tread wear on factory Pirelli Zeros Neros?