Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Exhaust Weights?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 07:47 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

Default Exhaust Weights?

Is there a thread on the exhaust weights? My search came up dry.
Someone must have removed them and commented on them by now?
I know my car has at least four of them on there, I was wondering if there was a problem with vibration or something if you took them off?
Old 03-15-2012, 08:07 PM
Unclenard
1st Gear Member

Well I removed the weights and replaced them with Borla ATAK axle backs. I was amazed at the weight difference between the factory and Borla exhaust. I know that isn't exactly what you were talking about but the factory exhaust is just heavy even without the weights on it.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:52 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

On AFM wrxified started maintaining a spreadsheet of OEM and aftermarket weights. I know the stock mufflers and tips weigh 46lbs. My Pypes mufflers and resonated tips weighed 18lbs.

Last edited by hogasswild; 03-17-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:07 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hogasswild
On AFM wrxified started maintaining a spreadsheet of OEM and aftermarket weights. I know the stock mufflers and tips weigh 46lbs. My Pypes mufflers and resonated tips weighed 18lbs.
I just weighed my stock 2011 5.0 axlebacks and yea they are atleast 46 mabe closer to 47-48 lbs

Shipping weight on my roush axlebacks was 27.8 lbs, including the box, so probably around 26 lbs

not bad, 20+ lbs weight reduction and a much better sound

Last edited by Andy13186; 03-16-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:08 AM
Funster_2011V6
2nd Gear Member

I think he's asking about the little cylindrical dampeners that are bolted to the exhaust at the x pipe and on each muffler.

I mentioned them in my axle back install post, but the thread is so old it may have been pruned from the server.

Anyhow, they are little dampening masses that keep the stock pipes from resonating and the interior quiet. When I put MRT exhaust on my car I took the dampers off the stock mufflers and attached them to the clamps since the MRT set had so much cab drone. It helped some.

I have since switched to the mufflers from Corsa. No drone and plenty loud although they don't have the "sweetness" of tone the MRTs did. But no need for the dampeners.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:17 AM
Bluesalad

Ford probably made the stock exhaust heavier just because they wanted it to last. Drive your Mustang through a couple of winters up here in Michigan and I bet your light weight aftermarket exhaust will be rotting off the car, unless you bought the stainless exhaust.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:29 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

I was talking to a Ford Mechanic, he was telling me the weights are just to cut down on vibration.

But as for the other comments, you guys were mentioning stuff that has been on my mind. I really would like to know how much weight you can shave off by swapping out the exhaust. Of course I live in Kalifornia where there is a limit to how much you can do and pass inspection. I know I was reading some posts and people were talking about how hard it is to change out the exhaust in front of the axle with out a lift so that is another limitation.

I guess I wish exhaust information was a little more available and a little more scientific. I know most people shop based on sound, but I want to be able to figure out what will work best with my set up.

I will have to look for that spread sheet on AFM, that is a good start.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:35 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

The is a thread over in AFM that has major components and aftermarket parts weighed. WRX started it.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:13 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

How about the wieght of wheels/Rims, is there some where you can look up the weight of say a stock rim so you can compare it the the weight of an after market?
Old 07-10-2012, 09:25 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

Sure:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...hts-specs.html

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...?highlight=350

Quick Reply: Exhaust Weights?