Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

slow six stigma

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 02:53 PM
2k232
2nd Gear Member

I was saying how the minimal performance of the 3.8/4.0 has left the new 3.7 with the rep that its slow. think you read it wrong. lol
Old 04-26-2012, 03:35 PM
mfvert2011
1st Gear Member

97tplsGT: That is one bitchin car! Very impressive!

Last edited by mfvert2011; 04-26-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:10 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

I have nothing against V6 Mustangs. They are Mustangs too - probably the reason why we still have Mustangs (since Ford sells so many of them).

The new 3.7 is a nice engine that makes nice power, and it is world's better than the old 4.0 Explorer engine. But the 3.7 still lacks the torque of a V8, and therefore cannot get off the line as hard as a 4.6 GT. If I was cross-shopping a 3.7 Mustang and a V6 Ford Fusion, the Mustang would be the better choice as it gets 30+ MPG and looks great.

What I don't get is when someone buys a 3.7, then mods it with lower gears and other fuel reducing mods making it get the same mileage as a 5.0. Just should have bought the 5.0 at that point. JMO
Old 04-26-2012, 05:15 PM
2k232
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdmcbride
I have nothing against V6 Mustangs. They are Mustangs too - probably the reason why we still have Mustangs (since Ford sells so many of them).

The new 3.7 is a nice engine that makes nice power, and it is world's better than the old 4.0 Explorer engine. But the 3.7 still lacks the torque of a V8, and therefore cannot get off the line as hard as a 4.6 GT. If I was cross-shopping a 3.7 Mustang and a V6 Ford Fusion, the Mustang would be the better choice as it gets 30+ MPG and looks great.

What I don't get is when someone buys a 3.7, then mods it with lower gears and other fuel reducing mods making it get the same mileage as a 5.0. Just should have bought the 5.0 at that point. JMO
Sounds like a 4.6 member that has 3.7 envy.....lol actually gears wouldnt hurt mpg (6 speed) nor would cai/exhaust.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:36 PM
LieutenantDan

Question

Why do you post so much in the V6 forums? Trying to study us are you?
Old 04-26-2012, 09:24 PM
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

But you missed something important - balance. You can hang the V6 out all day on a curvy road...er, track....and never tire of it. On the V8...yeah, you've got a lot of power. But you've also got 54%+ of your weight in the front - and more total weight too. Now compare that to adding a Procharger to a V6 PP. You're at worst 51% front - probably closer to 50% - and you've still got $2-3k of cash in your pocket vs buying the V8. If Ford made any mistake here, is that it priced the V6 PP a little TOO cheap vs the V8, so there's lots of mod money still in the piggy bank.

Spent a lot of time thinking this one over before placing my order. All my previous hobby cars were "big hammers." This time I want to have enough power, but crisper handling and braking too. Good thing they make 'em both!

[NOTE: "Enough" power is subject to change without notice!]
Old 04-26-2012, 09:55 PM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

Well see, that is where you are mistaken. The 3.7 is not torque-less. 270lbft isn't too shabby imo. And with these mods, including gears, ive seen 20mpg city (that doesn't happen often though, Im kinda hard on the car), and 29mpg on the highway.

Tell me, how many times has your v8 gotten 29mpg on the way to the track, pull the left front 3 passes in a row, and get 29mpg on the way back?? Take a look...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGzVd...5&feature=plcp

Hows that for coming out the hole sir? Im really a modest car guy, and Im sure im not coming off that way right now. But saying what we shoulda gotten is the pot calling the kettle black. Looks like you shoulda waited for the 3.7 to come out
Old 04-27-2012, 02:07 AM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

I am just a tad curious on this one and if someone could answer it that would be great. I have seen a few replies that the V6 handles better due to weight distribution being closer to 50/50 yet the V8 pulls more g's on the skidpad. Why would this be?
Old 04-27-2012, 08:56 AM
LieutenantDan

Originally Posted by Snakebite64
I am just a tad curious on this one and if someone could answer it that would be great. I have seen a few replies that the V6 handles better due to weight distribution being closer to 50/50 yet the V8 pulls more g's on the skidpad. Why would this be?
In reality, there are a lot of factors in buying a new car. For a lot of people it's important to hit a certain monthly payment to gain approval from a significant other, or something along those lines. Come with me on this journey:

For me personally, I'd been driving an automatic Accord 4cyl for 2 years, miserable. I was upside down on the loan and didn't think I'd be able to get out of the scenario. Then I walked into a Ford dealer because I love the look of the 11-12's. It turned out, I might be able to get out of the Accord and into a 6MT Mustang without taking too big a hit on my payment. On this particular day the dealer kept talking about a GT. He crunched a bunch of hypothetical numbers and worked out that I could get out of my Accord and into GT and only pay a few bucks more per month. Sounded great but I had to go back to work, scheduled test drive for following Monday.

Went home, crunched the numbers, determined they were a bit unrealistic, but with cash back incentives, etc. I could probably get into a V6. Went to a different dealer who hadn't seen me all giddy at the idea of getting rid of my Accord and worked out what I think is a great deal. I'm out of the Accord and into the V6 for the same payment, very close insurance, and better average gas mileage.

I think what you're missing here is, at the time of purchase, when people sit down and do the math, the V6 gets better mileage, cheaper insurance, better handling if you get the PP (than a base GT), and is at least $4k cheaper, if not more (where can you really find a stripped out GT with no options? Not in my corner of NY that's for sure.) The V6 with 305HP becomes a really compelling option.

Now why would you modify that and start affecting MPG etc? Because now you own a Mustang, and as we all know, once you get the itch, it can be incredibly hard to resist scratching it...
Old 04-27-2012, 09:38 AM
replica
4th Gear Member

I'm not sure what you mean. I had a 2008 GT and currently have a 2012 V6. The torque difference is 20. The 3 valve seems to have made a little more lower end power, but I can't tell much of a difference. At the track, we aren't launching from idle so I don't know why it matters.

For most people, we aren't going to mod past basic suspension, bolt on's and a tune. With that in mind, I don't think the 3valve and 3.7 are much different on power. I ran a 13.7 @ 104 in my 2008 bone stock, we'll see how close I can get in my current V6.

A GT would have been fun as well, but I bought my V6 NEW for $19K and it was plenty of car for me. Not willing to drop another $6-7k for the GT.

Quick Reply: slow six stigma