Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Real World Gas Mileage on Performance Package

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 12:43 PM
freebreeze

I've only got 400 miles on my 2013 V6 convertible, and am getting 18-19 mpg in mostly city driving. I could get a lot better mileage with a lighter foot, but that would defeat the purpose of getting the Mustang!
Old 05-01-2012, 09:00 AM
bigcanoe
2nd Gear Member

I drive 60 miles a day, about 75% highway, at 70 and I consistently get 27-28, the readout usually reads a little low.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:06 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

It depends on how and where you drive. My 11 V6 gets around 24 mpg but that's heavily mixed.

When my wife and I had to actually take a long trip (all interstate) we got 29.4 mpg.

Said thing is my wife and I work in the same location, she gets 23/24 mpg going to and from work, and my GT gets 22/23 lol.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:15 PM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by freebreeze
I've only got 400 miles on my 2013 V6 convertible, and am getting 18-19 mpg in mostly city driving. I could get a lot better mileage with a lighter foot, but that would defeat the purpose of getting the Mustang!
Sounds about right. As much as the MPG is touted, you will not achieve this in city/parking lot traffic. It needs to get into higher gears to get those good MPG #'s, and that isn't happening at 40 and less, stop n go, parking lot pile-up type locations.

I hover around 20, with a tune. was less before the tune. When I get out on the weekends for trips, it gets into the mid-high 20's quickly and easily.

Grats on the '13, I'd lock down those tail lights of yours, they are the envy of many a 10-12 owners.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:58 AM
replica
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JayyVee
Sounds about right. As much as the MPG is touted, you will not achieve this in city/parking lot traffic. It needs to get into higher gears to get those good MPG #'s, and that isn't happening at 40 and less, stop n go, parking lot pile-up type locations.

I hover around 20, with a tune. was less before the tune. When I get out on the weekends for trips, it gets into the mid-high 20's quickly and easily.

Grats on the '13, I'd lock down those tail lights of yours, they are the envy of many a 10-12 owners.
But I do mixed driving and I hit around 27 mpg consistently. I'm not sure why my numbers are higher than everyone elses. My last tank, I drove the car hard and still hit 25.7. Again, a good mix of city/hwy.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:16 PM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by replica
But I do mixed driving and I hit around 27 mpg consistently. I'm not sure why my numbers are higher than everyone elses. My last tank, I drove the car hard and still hit 25.7. Again, a good mix of city/hwy.
Time of day can impact level of traffic, that might attribute for some of it. When I say parking lot traffic, I mean for reals.

Weekends when it's mixed, or just not 'parking lot traffic' I hit mid 20's for the most part. A trip downtown (about 20 miles) and I'll hit high 20's if there isn't an accident/parking lot traffic along the way.

The ATL hasn't hovered in the top ten cities with worst traffic for years for no reason. I'd give anything to be able to go out my door, and not be in bumper to bumper, 6:15am to 9pm at night.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:03 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I am a little curious if the people who get poor mileage drive with the traction control on.

The first thing that happens when the tires start to slip is the rear brakes pulse on.
The second thing that happens is the gas is cut off.

The first may cause the mileage to drop, anyone else have experince with this?

I get great mileage, I always have TC off. I rarely get under 29 in mostly highway mixed driving, 6M 3.31 diff.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:29 PM
I_Call_D.I.B.s
2nd Gear Member

I don't think TCS/ESC would affect mileage unless you are constantly driving through bad weather conditions. It should not be active at all during normal highway cruising.

One thing that would definitely affect mileage is the wheel/tire combo. The V-6PP uses wide, sticky Pirelli summer tires and heavy 19" wheels (someone here said the 2013 V-6PP/GTCS wheels weigh ~25lb). Lighter wheels (less rotational mass) and narrower, less grippy tires would net a slight MPG increase.

Last edited by I_Call_D.I.B.s; 05-02-2012 at 06:43 PM. Reason: fixed an incorrect acronym
Old 05-02-2012, 07:41 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

I don't have the PP, (2.73 rear end)
I have noticed that my Mileage display constantly under reports the Average mileage by 2-4 mpg.
I am running a Steeda CAI and a 91 octane program, I think the worst gas mileage I have penciled out is about 26.6 mpg since that install. The best was around 32 mpg.
I am going to see if having the traction control off makes a difference starting with my next fill up.
I am pretty sure the biggest factor is drag, there is such a huge difference between the gas mileage at 65 and 80 that I don't think RMPs would calculate out to be the culprit.
I can cruise at 60-65 mph and get well over 35mpg, prolly more like 37-38.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Last edited by WORKISSLOW; 05-02-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:02 AM
replica
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JayyVee
Time of day can impact level of traffic, that might attribute for some of it. When I say parking lot traffic, I mean for reals.

Weekends when it's mixed, or just not 'parking lot traffic' I hit mid 20's for the most part. A trip downtown (about 20 miles) and I'll hit high 20's if there isn't an accident/parking lot traffic along the way.

The ATL hasn't hovered in the top ten cities with worst traffic for years for no reason. I'd give anything to be able to go out my door, and not be in bumper to bumper, 6:15am to 9pm at night.
Seattle has some pretty terrible traffic. The first 10 minutes of my drive are smooth, then the next 30 minutes are 0-20 range. It sucks. ATL is pretty terrible too.

Quick Reply: Real World Gas Mileage on Performance Package