Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Real World Gas Mileage on Performance Package

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 01:23 PM
J.E.T.S!!!

I averaged 14.6 on my first two tanks and it has been getting better, I have 2500 on it now and avg 19 with 90% city driving. Not to hi-jack the thread but after putting on my Airraid the trip computer is off. It reads 16-17mpg when manual calculations are just over 19. Anyone else see this?
Old 08-29-2012, 02:34 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

do you reset the MPG when you fill up?

That kind of mileage seems strangely low..
Do you drag race from stop light to stop light all day?

I do a fair amount of freeway driving but even when I fill up at the gas station, reset everything and drive around town I don't get that kind of mileage. Even now when it is over 100* and the AC is always on I never see averages below 23 mpg.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:19 PM
J.E.T.S!!!

Traffic here is crazy here, so 19 with the performace package seems ok. My last car (a 4cyl turbo) only got 17 in town and was rated for 25mpg. Yea I reset the trip evry fill up. Something is going on with the mpg whenI start the card. I'll get home and turn the car off with lets say 17mpg. The next morning I'll start the card and it will read 16.4. Seems to go down some everytime I start the car. meanwhile Im getting around 280mi per fill up??
Old 09-14-2012, 02:33 PM
alludc

Im still lower than id like. I can actually do almost as good City (driving nice) as I do Hwy. the only way my 3.31 equipped PP is gonna get 30 hwy is if im doin 55 with cruise. 70-75 is good for 22mpg

2000 mile average is 20.5 mixed
Last 100 miles with airaid cai & roush axleback is 22.5 mixed

car is an auto
Old 09-18-2012, 10:17 PM
NeverEnoughVA

Originally Posted by Katmandu
Your problem is you are BABYING a brand new engine. Seriously! You NEED to run the snot out of it. NO JOKE.

Brand new engines NEED to have the rings seat. The way the rings seat is with COMPRESSION. You really need to run it hard. If you don't your rings will NEVER seat right and your engine will always give you crap MPG/Performance.

I'm not joking. Search around on Engine Break-in procedures.
I've been driving it harder after the first oil change. I changed to Mobil 1 at 2000 miles. I've had it to the track as well. No change. Still getting about 22 with 70% highway. Now, I installed a new JLT intake and tune over the weekend, and I think I'm seeing an improvement now. I'll know better once I can keep my foot our of it. The new intake sound is addicting.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:39 AM
alludc

Default HORRIBLE

Its honestly so far off of expected mileage, im just not happy.

still averaging around 20.5 with 70% hwy. the airaid and free flowing exhaust did nothing to improve this
Old 09-30-2012, 09:21 AM
OneLargeToe
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by alludc
Its honestly so far off of expected mileage, im just not happy.

still averaging around 20.5 with 70% hwy. the airaid and free flowing exhaust did nothing to improve this
Good grief. I do about 70% highway driving myself, and I'm averaging 26MPG with my 08 GT (granted, with a very light foot).
Old 10-01-2012, 02:25 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

I was driving in town with a lot of traffic and checked the mileage and it dropped down to around 17-19 mpg. That was a couple of weeks ago when I was running weekend errands.

lately I have been driving with no regard for economy its over 100*, traffic has been bad, I don't know if anyone outside of SoCal has heard of "Carmageddan II", but they are demolishing a bridge over the freeway and thus closing parts of the freeway in Los Angeles from time to time on the weekends.. anyways,, traffic has been bad for a number of reason and my mileage is around 23-25 mpg. Did anyone else see the 210 fwy through the foothills east last friday night, it was a parking lot for many many miles,,, We were looking at it from an over pass in La Verne, even for us seasoned traffic people it was a memorable site.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WORKISSLOW
I was driving in town with a lot of traffic and checked the mileage and it dropped down to around 17-19 mpg. That was a couple of weeks ago when I was running weekend errands.

lately I have been driving with no regard for economy its over 100*, traffic has been bad, I don't know if anyone outside of SoCal has heard of "Carmageddan II", but they are demolishing a bridge over the freeway and thus closing parts of the freeway in Los Angeles from time to time on the weekends.. anyways,, traffic has been bad for a number of reason and my mileage is around 23-25 mpg. Did anyone else see the 210 fwy through the foothills east last friday night, it was a parking lot for many many miles,,, We were looking at it from an over pass in La Verne, even for us seasoned traffic people it was a memorable site.
Seems like it has not changed much since I left, should have seen it after the Earthquake that took out the 10 Freeway Back in 1994.
BTW I am getting between 23-24 with 70% highway, But I am still having fun at the redlights
Old 10-17-2012, 11:05 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Katmandu
Your problem is you are BABYING a brand new engine. Seriously! You NEED to run the snot out of it. NO JOKE.

Brand new engines NEED to have the rings seat. The way the rings seat is with COMPRESSION. You really need to run it hard. If you don't your rings will NEVER seat right and your engine will always give you crap MPG/Performance.

I'm not joking. Search around on Engine Break-in procedures.
just read the first article in google when i looked it up.
he stated to break in before 25mileage, what if the car at the dealership is pass that lol?

Quick Reply: Real World Gas Mileage on Performance Package