Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

3.7 Airaid CAI Dyno results.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 04:50 PM
wkayl
1st Gear Member

Default 3.7 Airaid CAI Dyno results.

I cannot believe the numbers, but it was dynoed at the same location with the same tech both times.

Last month stock 234.67 HP, 215 FT.LB Torque

Today with an Airaid CAI, no other mods. 268.25 HP, 260.49 Ft. LB. Torque

Video of today's 2 runs to be posted later.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:56 PM
06_footy
2nd Gear Member

Thats impressive! Any tune?
Old 05-18-2012, 05:12 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

No way a stand-alone CAI on the 3.7 makes 34 RWHP and 42 ft-lbs torque. Even with a tune, that's a lot more than average.

FYI - the 5.0 will pick up about 20 or more RWHP after break-in. Perhaps you're seeing something similar plus some other influences.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:47 PM
wkayl
1st Gear Member

I don't know what to say. I only wish Ihad done a second run the first time. that is why I spent the additional $25 to ge a second run today. Only thing done was the CAI. Car has about 31,500 miles on it. About 500 more han the first run. They say about a 20% loss from engine to rear wheels with a stick 9i have an automatic). Using that fact, The first run would be about 280 HP at the engine. The altitude here in colorado (thin air) would make up for some of the 25 HP difference on what the enging is rated. On today's run, it works out to be 321, and that is if I had a stick. I have no answer to the huge difference, just the facts of a print out. I will post videos of both last month's and today's runs when I get today's loaded on YouTube.

Here was last month's video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ99JLTq5x4
Old 05-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Double Tap

Default I think something is wrong

Originally Posted by wkayl
I don't know what to say. I only wish Ihad done a second run the first time. that is why I spent the additional $25 to ge a second run today. Only thing done was the CAI. Car has about 31,500 miles on it. About 500 more han the first run. They say about a 20% loss from engine to rear wheels with a stick 9i have an automatic). Using that fact, The first run would be about 280 HP at the engine. The altitude here in colorado (thin air) would make up for some of the 25 HP difference on what the enging is rated. On today's run, it works out to be 321, and that is if I had a stick. I have no answer to the huge difference, just the facts of a print out. I will post videos of both last month's and today's runs when I get today's loaded on YouTube.

Here was last month's video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ99JLTq5x4

I believe that if you go back and do it again with the dyno recalibrated your result would show only a minor if any increase without a tune. CAI without a tune is a waste of money.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:52 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

Not at all surprising since the runs were done on different days and different conditions. Pretty good numbers for your elevation though.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:25 AM
wkayl
1st Gear Member

Yesterday's Dyno video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHOF0...ature=youtu.be
Old 06-16-2012, 04:05 AM
armyjared
1st Gear Member

well i'm impressed and mechanically inclined enough to know that that is a large jump. nice!!!!
Old 06-18-2012, 06:29 AM
GaSouGustang

Originally Posted by Double Tap
I believe that if you go back and do it again with the dyno recalibrated your result would show only a minor if any increase without a tune. CAI without a tune is a waste of money.
I would beg to differ. Having driven a 2012 3.7 for a year now, and used the C&L and Airaid each, this is borderline ignorant. I have even spoken to American Muscle for technical data on the Airaid, and if you think a CAI is a waste without a tune, you are mistaken badly. From the sound, to the HP and TQ, as well as throttle response, CAI (over stock) is instant upgrade. Yes, a tune makes it much better, but if you really believe stock performs the same as a non-tuned CAI... well, everyone IS entitled to have an opinion.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:11 PM
Shelby350Mike
2nd Gear Member

This thread is only making it harder for me to decide between an Airraid, JLT, or Steeda intake....... UGHHH

Quick Reply: 3.7 Airaid CAI Dyno results.