Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2013 MPG Question V6 Auto ~ starting in 2nd gear?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 09:56 AM
vegas_
1st Gear Member

Question 2013 MPG Question V6 Auto ~ starting in 2nd gear?

I know that a Mustang is not a car one buys for the best fuel economy. But it was a factor in my decision. My 2013 V6 with Automatic (without perf package) has an EPA rating of 19-31, and I assumed that my actual MPG would be lower, as it has been with other cars I bought. (Most notable a Prius, which has an EPA rating of 50-60 and actually gets 35-40)

But I get better than EPA with my Mustang. If I drive it carefully (not like a mustang) I'm getting 24 around suburbia, and 32 on the highway at 55MPH.

Now of course a Mustang driven for fun, like a mustang should, gets lower gas mileage. But I don't do that everyday.

So my question...
when driving around town, for best MPG should I just keep the Automatic in D, or use sport shift and start in 2nd gear? Obviously if I was on an uphill grade or pulling out in traffic, I would want to start in 1st gear, but for casual circumstances, esp. a downhill grade, would starting in 2nd gear use less fuel?
Old 11-28-2012, 10:05 AM
berryracer
1st Gear Member

Keeping it in 1st of 2nd gear will consume more fuel as your RPM will be higher.

Just put it in normal Drive Mode and don't push hard on the throttle and you should be fine.

When I want to get the best mileage, I just ensure that I do not cross the 2 to 3 K RPM range
Old 11-28-2012, 10:06 AM
berryracer
1st Gear Member

Keeping it in 1st of 2nd gear will consume more fuel as your RPM will be higher.

Just put it in normal Drive Mode and don't push hard on the throttle and you should be fine.

When I want to get the best mileage, I just ensure that I do not cross the 2 to 3 K RPM range
Old 11-28-2012, 10:12 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

To the OP - you are not alone. I drive like a grandma. I am the slowest driver of all my friends yet I have the most powerful car haha. I have not seen the same MPG that some others see (currently at 24.4) but I have seen up to 27.9 while driving on the freeway so. Winter time MPG goes down alittle but do to weather and such. Have you looked into getting a BAMA tuner and AIRRAIDE CAI? Supposedly a 91 tune will get you an extra 2 MPG so that might be something you look into.

Matthew
Old 11-28-2012, 10:14 AM
vegas_
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by vegas_

So my question...
when driving around town, for best MPG should I just keep the Automatic in D, or use sport shift and start in 2nd gear? Obviously if I was on an uphill grade or pulling out in traffic, I would want to start in 1st gear, but for casual circumstances, esp. a downhill grade, would starting in 2nd gear use less fuel?
Just to clarify, I did not mean I would keep it in 2nd gear (?) I would START in second gear, then shift normally. Same as the automatic would do except skipping 1st gear.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:55 AM
vegas_
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
Have you looked into getting a BAMA tuner and AIRRAIDE CAI? Supposedly a 91 tune will get you an extra 2 MPG so that might be something you look into.
Yes I've looked at those mods, and a CAI is certainly a simple one, but I would not want to do that just for the MPG becuase the 2 extra MPG extra, costs you 25c extra for each gallon of 91 Fuel, sounds like a wash cost wise, aside for the $600 for the mod. But the extra HP is interesting, as is the selectable tunes for street/performance/race.

I have a job interview with Ford for an electrical engineer (computer) position, about 10 years ago (I didn't get the job) but I was very impressed at the sophistication of the computers and engineering being worked on at the time. I'm very suspect of any 3rd party that says they can do a better job. But since Ford's engineering decisions are driven by CAFE and emissions requirements, I'm confident that no better job could be done with respect to MPG. However, I suspect there were some HP/Torque compromises done in favor of MPG, and a good shop could probably increase HP by using 91 fuel and sacrificing MPG or emissions.

I'm not sure why Ford stuck with reg Fuel (87) Lots of the competitors to the Mustang, require or recommend 91 octane fuel. But, then at $22K base, it's really an economy care, isn't it?
Old 11-28-2012, 11:13 AM
berryracer
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by vegas_
Just to clarify, I did not mean I would keep it in 2nd gear (?) I would START in second gear, then shift normally. Same as the automatic would do except skipping 1st gear.
I used to start in 2nd gear a lot in my Camaro SS 1999 V8 Manual and I damaged my clutch because of too much strain on the gear picking up from a higher gear
Old 11-28-2012, 04:14 PM
E_cox310
2nd Gear Member

Just keep It in drive. Honestly, when I start with 2nd in my Manual, it's not a noticeable. The only time I notice a difference in MPG is when i use 5th on the street or a baby the throttle. For you since you have an auto, just don't drive it aggressively and you'll increase your MPG