Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Rented 13 V6 Vert-my review

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 11:01 AM
jjcuff1

Default Rented 13 V6 Vert-my review

Hello,

I have not been a Ford owner for about 6 years now. Drive a M35 and 300ZX turbo but love the new look and Fords turnaround on the interior, mysync and most importantly the MPG. I figure I update everyone here even though I have been off for years.

2013-Red Auto Convertible V6 mustang.
Greats looks top went up and down easy and over 300 miles of city and hiway driving it up to 110mph and cruising at 75-85mph on hiway and foot stomps all weekend I averaged 27.3 MPG
300 miles and 11 gallons. On the computer the 2 long road trips about 100 miles each I averaged 29.5 mpg and in the city I reset and dropped to 23.8 MPG so the average makes sense

I really liked the dash computer features and easy to use.

I did not have the nav upgrades just basic blue LED gauges and that looks seriously dated and confusing to navigate but ok for entry level and the phone sync worked well.
The bass in the front speakers was impressive even boomy and head turning. the treble and overall sound quality was lacking though and the vert didnt help probably

Driving was very smooth, some blindspots and with no backup camera hard to see out rear but definitely a great stable hiway cruiser and the tranny kicks down well for easy 70-100mph passing and cruising without any hesitation.

The engine was heads and tails over my 01 4.0l 5spd. Smooth and very quiet. The offline acceleration seemed weak with the auto. I mean good and above average compared to 4cyl/6cyl cars out there but I didnt feel it had enough throttle response. The mid rpm cruise kick down was delayed and then noisy building up steam

I would say they built the auto curve to be as much as possible v8 like with the long broad rpm torque just without the v8 torque per-se.

Overall i was impressed and I have been eyeing newer mustangs when the hit the used market. I think,curious, from this forum what mods open up the v6? I think it is lacking

a good sounding and better free flowing exhaust,intake chip combo
auto is great over previous generations but lacking for 0-60
(what is 6 spd like?)
compared to my m35 and z and g35 i would say my stock cars would take stock auto v6 vert in most situations (DONT HATE) only because the throttle response/curve and seat of the pants was so slow compared to more of a raped apaed feeling in the g35/m35 engines

AGAIN dont hate. I like the stand and I am thinking what does this car need to unleash it because the engine/specs/feel are all there to be faster then these car and the MPG blows away the others.

Or my option is the better leaning towards just wait a few more years and get the v8 6 speed

But I love tuning so what really opens up the 3.7 to

sound bad-***
beat easily the g/m/ gen coupes
maintain still 20+mpg
not huge $$$ investment

Thanks
great Car good job ford!!!!
Old 12-04-2012, 12:11 PM
steev
2nd Gear Member

This was pretty much my opinion of the V8 and V6 Mustangs I rented (in fact the same with the Camaro and Challenger), the auto transmissions just take so much away from the driving experience for me.

They're all beautiful cars, have some great features, but the auto boxes take away that control. Perhaps if they stuck DSG style transmissions in them and let you have more control, but even the gear paddles on the Camaro felt slow to respond to commands. I think the Mustang had a backup camera where the interior mirror had an LCD integrated behind the glass. That was really useful.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:31 PM
capndar
1st Gear Member

It is true - for performance you gotta manually select 2 and go