Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Quieter exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 07:32 PM
Bob_Young

Well I'm certainly taking some abuse for this post, LOL.

It doesn't really have to be as quiet as a Lexus...as quiet as my Coyote powered F150 would be fine. Maybe the GT is a better choice if you want quiet. Who knew?

I think GTC got it right. There is a droning that's less than pleasant cruising at 55. Just cracking a window helps as does speeding up to 60 mph. Would probably be even better at higher speeds, but that might bring Barney out.

And, yes, the Pirellis add to the drone. But I can live with that for now. May go for Michelins when they need replaced.

Since I'm pushing 70, loud cars are no longer my thing. Just hoping for a quiet cruise. If it makes noise when I pass or accelerate from a stop, fine.

The reason I went with a Mustang is I'm a Ford guy that greatly prefers stick shift. The only new stick-shift Ford you can get that's bigger than a Focus is the Mustang. I traded a two year old stick shift Focus. Good car, great mileage; but too dainty for me. Even the F150s come automatic only. What's a guy to do?

Maybe should've listened to the lady friend, forgot about stick shift, and let her buy me that red CTS ;-)

Last edited by Bob_Young; 12-16-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:30 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bob_Young
Well I'm certainly taking some abuse for this post, LOL.

It doesn't really have to be as quiet as a Lexus...as quiet as my Coyote powered F150 would be fine. Maybe the GT is a better choice if you want quiet. Who knew?

I think GTC got it right. There is a droning that's less than pleasant cruising at 55. Just cracking a window helps as does speeding up to 60 mph. Would probably be even better at higher speeds, but that might bring Barney out.

And, yes, the Pirellis add to the drone. But I can live with that for now. May go for Michelins when they need replaced.

Since I'm pushing 70, loud cars are no longer my thing. Just hoping for a quiet cruise. If it makes noise when I pass or accelerate from a stop, fine.

The reason I went with a Mustang is I'm a Ford guy that greatly prefers stick shift. The only new stick-shift Ford you can get that's bigger than a Focus is the Mustang. I traded a two year old stick shift Focus. Good car, great mileage; but too dainty for me. Even the F150s come automatic only. What's a guy to do?

Maybe should've listened to the lady friend, forgot about stick shift, and let her buy me that red CTS ;-)
At least you're a good sport!

Mustang's are great and yes, the drone can be annoying (I'm running Pype Bombs, 4.10s and Kooks LTs on a mostly highway drive! lol) but it's still a lot more fun than most other options. Look into Corsa exhausts and look into a tune. When I first got my tune I noticed a dramatic change in my exhaust note. This could have been a coincidence but I'm just tossing that out there.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:29 PM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

I would look for a set of Automatic mufflers as was said before, they cut about half the noise of the Manual mufflers, should be able to find a set of take offs for cheap.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:58 PM
GTC
1st Gear Member

I formerly had a base Mustang with the V rated 17" Michelins. A lot more sidewall, less noise, smoother ride, no flat spots when you start out in the morning, 1mpg better. Not the incredible tracking ability of the Pirelli's on my current Premium V6, but for a highway ride the Michelin's hands down - but I am very happy with the Pirellis - I didn't buy an Avalon after all. As far as noise with the GT, the GT is worse. There is actually acoustic porting called a sound tube so that when the engine is under load, the engine note is intentionally carried to the cabin through that tube - give me a break. I drove one from Huntsville, AL to Nashville, TN, it was the lower geared rear axel, and the associated higher rpm at 70 Plus mph it was a maddening loud droning. On the other hand under hard acceleration the engine sounded amazing. There are aftermarket sound tube deletes that are inexpensive and simple to install for the GT; basically it is just capped off. My next Mustang in May '13 will likely be the GT Automatic with the sound tube delete.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:48 PM
Katmandu
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05WIMustang
I heard either an Ecoboost or 3.7L F150 accelerate the other day and it sounded very deep (it was stock exhaust). Why do the Mustang's 3.7L have a completely different sound?
Completely different exhaust system dimensions and muffler.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:50 PM
Katmandu
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bob_Young
Noooooo !
Old 12-16-2012, 11:52 PM
Katmandu
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Siber Express
I would look for a set of Automatic mufflers as was said before, they cut about half the noise of the Manual mufflers, should be able to find a set of take offs for cheap.
If someone well sell me a set of Manual mufflers, I will gladly sell you the mufflers of my Automatic.

Email me -->> Labrat0116 (AT) gmail.com
Old 12-17-2012, 01:06 AM
24kmach

Try a set of Factory Ford winter floor mats to deaden the sound a little. My current Mustang is a 2013 Auto with PP. It came with Goodyear F1's. A lot of road noise. I will be 69 this coming Feb. I was a test driver for the Kenworth Truck Co. for 35 years and before that 4 years as part of a ground crew on a B-52. Noise? What noise. Hell I can't hear anymore so I like quiet. So I know what your saying. In my younger years I loved loud exhaust and have too many tickets to count to prove it but not anymore.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:11 PM
Katmandu
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
+1
Quieter OUTSIDE or INSIDE the vehicle?

You can put OEM Automatic mufflers like
are on the 2013 Automatic equipped V6 stangs..
They will quiet it down some.

Then there is active noise cancellation thats available.
My 2012 V6 auto has those quiet mufflers.

Someone posted a pic of them in this thread.....

-->> https://mustangforums.com/forum/3-7l...rans-cars.html

Looking for a pic on Manual mufflers (rear shot). Anyone ?
Old 12-17-2012, 07:17 PM
Katmandu
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 24kmach
I will be 69 this coming Feb. I was a test driver for the Kenworth Truck Co. for 35 years and before that 4 years as part of a ground crew on a B-52. Noise? What noise.
Very cool to see some more mature folks getting on the board here! I'm 50 myself and had more loud fast cars than I can count and stacks of tickets to prove it! lol!

I would like a louder exhaust but NOT willing to pay $400+ just for that priveledge.

Quick Reply: Quieter exhaust?