Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Pypes Pype-Bomb Axlebacks!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 02:25 PM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

Default Pypes Pype-Bomb Axlebacks!!

Just ordered some Pypes Pype-Bomb Axleback exhaust! I'm more than stoked to get them installed (They arrive tomorrow). I've never installed any kind of exhaust upgrade, so I've been searching how-to's. I found TacoBill's write up and it was outstanding!

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...ll-w-pics.html

I know he didn't cover the clamps on the exhaust, so I know about that, but is there anything else I should know pre-install? Tips, advice, etc.? I'm trying to make sure I got everything covered here.

My neighbor next door is an Aeronautical Engineer, and is helping me install these. He's never installed exhaust before either, but he works on his cars regularly (doesn't like to use mechanics when he doesn't have to). So he's very excited to help on this one, but we're both n00bs. Thanks in advance guys!
Old 12-31-2012, 08:35 AM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

well i installed the exhaust system.. the hanger rods (brackets?) were perfect on one of the exhaust tips, but the other one they were a full inch too narrow. so i had to bend them to fit. all sorts of fitment issues on that one pipe, which was annoying after the first went in so perfectly.\

anyway, i have 2 outstanding problems i was hoping someone could advise me on. first, the exhaust tips don't line up perfectly with the muffler cutouts in the rear bumper. is there a good way to get this fixed, or should i just take it to a shop and pay them $50 to bend the hanger brackets until it looks right?

second, and more importantly, i have some disgusting drone at different levels of acceleration. mainly when calmly driving. if i am punching it, the sound is great.. will adding LT Headers and the off-road x-pipe help with the droning? Or do I need to look into resonator pipes/header wrap?
Old 12-31-2012, 05:27 PM
Funster_2011V6
2nd Gear Member

On lining up the pipes, it's best to leave the clamps snug, not tight, untill you get the tips right where you want them then fully tighten. Bending of the hangar brackets is sometimes necessary.

As far as drone, unfortunately, you bought one of the worst droning systems you could. X pipe will make no difference. Headers will make things worse and will make the tone "Ricey".

Installing resonators is a crap shoot and, frankly, you'll be back to where you were with the stock mufflers in terms of flow and weight.

"wrapping" a stainless steel header will only destroy it. It also does nothing for resonance.

Ive been right where you are. I bought the MRT system as soon as it came out. Loved the tone and hated the drone. Sold on eBay and bought "Corsa" axle backs.

Borla "attak" axle backs are another good choice for high flow/loud tone when accelerating and little to no drone when cruising.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:32 PM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

hmm.. i never found headers to make a vehicle sound ricey. always found the tone to be beefier than the quiet exhaust. ah well.

anyway, i read that exhaust has a break in period.. some people seemed to argue there is no such thing, others insist that it does. i've now driven about 300 miles with the exhaust system on and i will say that 98% of the drone is now gone. why? i have no clue at all. it's just gone. so i got lucky it went away i guess, and i'm not gonna question such a nice gift haha. thanks for that advice tho!
Old 07-06-2013, 07:14 PM
mlud00
1st Gear Member

Just a comment from another victim of the "drone"! I bought Bassani axle backs about a month ago and the drone is really irritating. My wife and kids hate the sound when I have top up (I have a convertible). Anyway I'm going to order a type of sound deadening like dynamat and try covering the trunk and under rear seats. Will let you know if that helps. I've also heard that my exhaust will "break in",so waiting for that too. I know you said yours cleared up, but just thought I'd give you my experience. I'm thinking of getting resonators if all else fails, or selling the Bassani's and getting Borla touring or "S" axle backs. Hope something helps, I don't want the stock mufflers back, they are too quiet!
Old 07-07-2013, 08:10 AM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mlud00
Just a comment from another victim of the "drone"! I bought Bassani axle backs about a month ago and the drone is really irritating. My wife and kids hate the sound when I have top up (I have a convertible). Anyway I'm going to order a type of sound deadening like dynamat and try covering the trunk and under rear seats. Will let you know if that helps. I've also heard that my exhaust will "break in",so waiting for that too. I know you said yours cleared up, but just thought I'd give you my experience. I'm thinking of getting resonators if all else fails, or selling the Bassani's and getting Borla touring or "S" axle backs. Hope something helps, I don't want the stock mufflers back, they are too quiet!
You know I think it isn't fair to say things totally cleared up. The drone is still there but not as bad after the break in. I'm saving my pennies for the borlas because I hear they have no drone at all. Good luck!
Old 07-07-2013, 09:46 AM
mlud00
1st Gear Member

I hear ya! I was saving all along for the Borla-S and then decided they were too much. I was one click away from the Pypes Bomb because they sounded good on youtube and were almost half the price. I picked the Bassanis because they also sounded great on video and got a great deal on them. Now I'm sorry, the sound is kinda trumpet-like, and the drone is annoying. Like I said, I'm trying the sound mat (GTMAT), and if you want I can post in this thread, or start a new one with the results. I'm spending so much time looking up a fix for this, it might not be worth it. Like you, I might just bag it after the sound mat and sell these and save for the Borla-S.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:49 AM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

After all the drone horrors I think I will just get a set of GT500 and modify them to fit, should be plenty loud for my old ears with the BBK short tube headers on it.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:19 PM
mlud00
1st Gear Member

Siber, did you get the BBK shorty headers yet? I just started looking, and hear they are a new product. I'm saving up and hoping to get some input on installation difficulties and whether they make a noticible difference in power and sound. They sure will look 100% better that cast iron manifolds! I wonder why Ford did that in the first place. Every foreign car I see has tubular headers.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:50 PM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mlud00
Siber, did you get the BBK shorty headers yet? I just started looking, and hear they are a new product. I'm saving up and hoping to get some input on installation difficulties and whether they make a noticible difference in power and sound. They sure will look 100% better that cast iron manifolds! I wonder why Ford did that in the first place. Every foreign car I see has tubular headers.
I had them on for a week, waiting for AM to get another set in since BBK missed a weld on #1 and it was leaking, they do lower the exhaust note and the Lower to Mid range HP and torque are both noticeable.
You can make out the missing Weld on the bottom
Name:  HeaderLeak001_zps9af12bd0.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  62.6 KB
They would still be on but I was afraid of burning a valve with the leak.
The Stock Manifolds can be put on with a Machine, these cannot.
Here they are on the car
Name:  BBKShorties001_zps73bbc62c.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  65.1 KB
Name:  BBKShorties004_zps6386eb38.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  91.8 KB

Quick Reply: Pypes Pype-Bomb Axlebacks!!