Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Round 1 Mods - Intake, TB and Tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 08:39 AM
Hellride

Originally Posted by WindyMustang
Great video on your Facebook page Hellride! 4.30 gears and an auto should make for one huckuva run!

I wonder if there's any gain to be had by just coming up with an improved upper manifold? I'm thinking of something like the FAST intake on the GM LS-series engine...something with tuned length runners? On my "dyno" plot you can see the engine getting a bit breathless over 6000 RPM, so somewhere in there is a high CFM restriction...

Are you porting / polishing the heads as well as the manifold?
No cyl heads. To do that the "right" way you need to "rough" in your valve job (get it close to final seat depth and angles) and then develop the new reshaped ports around that valve job. I'd need a seat and guide machine, flowbench, a shop basically. All I have is porting tools like my Milwaukee 11amp grinder (it's a hause!) and carbides, cartridge rolls. For the more delicate work, a dremel with a flex shaft added.

Due to the way the upper was designed, that wouldn't work either, unfortunately. If you watch the porting slideshow on my FB link, you'll see the approach angle to the cyl heads is a little different from one side to the other. Cyl's 1, 2, & 3 come into the lower straighter down (the smaller looking ports looking at the top of the lower intake mani. The ones with a great approach to the cyl hd port are 4, 5, & 6 but 4 AND 6 have those bolt boss protrusions than need to be removed as much as possible. In #4, I push that pinch point back .200. That's a lot! And the port still has just slightly less cross sectional area than 5 and 6. 6 has a small bolt boss pinch that only needs a little work, not much.

Really, the only way would be those individual runner intakes or another intake that is aftermarket, similar to stock and lessens some of the protrusions and mismatches I find.

The thing is, the stock intake is designed to do, to the best they could design it, "Everything Well".... What I do slightly tilts it to the higher rpms side. There can be a handful of torque loss down below 3k with the ported set of intakes. It just depends how you drive and what you want to do.

Oh, thanks for the compliment on the video. My wife's the media guru lol. I'll pass it on though. Thanks for checking it out!