Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

shifting through gear racing with out using the clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 08:44 AM
Abushehab
1st Gear Member

Default shifting through gear racing with out using the clutch

buddy says keep your feet all the way down on the gas the shift through the gears too me sounds like you do this your going to tear up your clutch any opinions......
Old 05-19-2013, 08:20 AM
John Hance

That's called speed shifting. Your transmission won't last very long doing that, I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:36 AM
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

It can be done....sometimes. It depends a lot on the car, transmission, conditions, etc. It also only really works at a particular RPM in my experience. And yes, the risks are blowing up your trans or clutch - or motor if you have a particularly bad day and miss the shift while trying to rocket between gears.

Honestly, with practice the clutch actuation is over so fast I don't really think it gives much of an advantage. I have seen people partially engage the clutch just to take a bit of the load off the trans while slamming between gears. But I've always beaten those guys....
Old 05-19-2013, 11:45 AM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

All you need to do is tap the clutch to relieve some of the stress from the plates, I only push it all the way in when stopped, other than that never more than half way down.
BTW the way our cars do not loose RPM very quick it is better and faster to use the clutch over RPM matching, and the speed shifting has always been hard on trannies.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:23 PM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

Op, your title of the thread leads me to believe that you are talking about NOT using the clutch at ALL?!

DO NOT shift without the clutch! These are not big rigs, lol, no floating these gears. No matter what rpm, stab the clutch.

And, fwiw, 'speed shifting' is that, shifting very quickly. "Power shifting" or "No lift Shift" is WOT and shifting without lifting off the throttle. And yes, it may or may not cause damage or wear and tear, but I've got a few videos to show that you can have your cake and eat it too