Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

What can be done about raspy exhaust note?

Old 05-25-2013, 07:42 AM
John Hance

Default What can be done about raspy exhaust note?

My 2014 is completely stock aside from the Roush axle-backs from American Muscle (http://www.americanmuscle.com/roush-...st-2011v6.html). I'm really happy with this exhaust, and it has made the car much more fun for me every day. My only qualm so far after 1,500 miles is an overly raspy exhaust tone between 2.7k-2.9k RPMs. Every other place in the rev band sounds amazing, but around those RPMs the note is overly raspy and unpleasant. It is really bugging me, because you spend a lot of time around that range with this engine. Just wondering what I can add/remove or change to maybe alleviate this issue. I'm planning on doing a tune and intake in the next month or two (all depending on my warranty staying intact), but I don't mind to spend some money to fix the sound on this exhaust.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:56 AM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

It's the V6 not to much you can do about it really. They just get that way once you bring that rpm up. As for the CAI and tune depends on the dealership. If something goes wrong with the car they may try to blame it even of its not the problem. A good dealership won't and will fix issues through.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:08 PM
tbuff
2nd Gear Member

for the warranty issues, I would recommend going with a tune from AM with a handheld tuner, that way if you need to go in for warranty work, you can switch back to stock. As far as the intake, it will not void your warranty, except you had an issue with the MAF, then they would not warranty that part out since it is directly fitted to the intake, which you changed out. Other than that, you are good to go.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:27 AM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

So basically all the more open or less muffled systems are more raspy at that rpm range. It has something to do with the motor. So unfortunately putting the stock mufflers back on is an option. I am typically just passing through that rpm range rather quickly or shifting before I start to hear it.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:46 AM
tbuff
2nd Gear Member

after all, it is a v6, so you are gonna get more of a tuned exhaust note, similar to that of a 350z, or other "tuner" type v6's...
Old 05-28-2013, 09:57 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by John Hance
My 2014 is completely stock aside from the Roush axle-backs from American Muscle (http://www.americanmuscle.com/roush-...st-2011v6.html). I'm really happy with this exhaust, and it has made the car much more fun for me every day. My only qualm so far after 1,500 miles is an overly raspy exhaust tone between 2.7k-2.9k RPMs. Every other place in the rev band sounds amazing, but around those RPMs the note is overly raspy and unpleasant. It is really bugging me, because you spend a lot of time around that range with this engine. Just wondering what I can add/remove or change to maybe alleviate this issue. I'm planning on doing a tune and intake in the next month or two (all depending on my warranty staying intact), but I don't mind to spend some money to fix the sound on this exhaust.
It sounds like you're just hearing the exhaust note of a straight through design muffler. There's not really much you could do about it, unfortunately!

I wish I could be more help! Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance.

-Dan
Old 05-28-2013, 05:42 PM
John Hance

Originally Posted by AMDanBailer
It sounds like you're just hearing the exhaust note of a straight through design muffler. There's not really much you could do about it, unfortunately!

I wish I could be more help! Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance.

-Dan
Thanks for your post, Dan. Glad to know there's nothing that can be done, now my mind will be put at ease. I swapped cars with a buddy last night and followed my Mustang in his Camaro SS for an hour. The Mustang sounded much more aggressive outside the car than what I typically hear in the cabin. Overall, I'm thrilled with the sound and the volume. I wouldn't mind the down low torque of the SS, but I'd choose my car any day.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:19 PM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

I say it once, I'll say it again....

Resonators. They will not clear the rasp completely, but they certainly help. You should pound the boards, hound the GT guys for their set of oem resonators, and get them welded in. Relatively cheap "fix", while not robbing power.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:46 PM
manley845

Curious, are the Roush axle backs "Chmbered" mufflers or fiberglass packed mufflers?

Chambered (i.e. Flowmaster type) will give a rasp, but a straigh through fiberglass packed muffler (cherry bombs, Borla, Ultraflo, etc) will not be as prone to rasp sounds.

I have the Dynomax cat-back and love it. No rasp and was $343, and that doesn't include the $75 rebate I'm getting back
Old 06-19-2013, 05:59 PM
RockStang

I would get the new BBK shorties, they make the car sound sooo much better. There is a video on youtube right now so you can hear for yourself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What can be done about raspy exhaust note?