Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Sport Shift Mode Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 08:06 PM
JimC

It doesn't bother me so I won't take it in - I wonder if the difference is the build date and a programming change. I ordered mine at the end of May 2103 and it was built on something like June 23, 2013 (I have the exact date around here but not that important). Mine is the premium MCA package - very similar to your Pony package in terms of options (same wheel just different different color, different grilles, and different embroidery on the floor mats).
Old 07-17-2013, 08:15 PM
StangDawg

Originally Posted by JimC
It doesn't bother me so I won't take it in - I wonder if the difference is the build date and a programming change. I ordered mine at the end of May 2103 and it was built on something like June 23, 2013 (I have the exact date around here but not that important). Mine is the premium MCA package - very similar to your Pony package in terms of options (same wheel just different different color, different grilles, and different embroidery on the floor mats).
The build date off my window sticker is 12/06/12, but is described as a "2013 V6 Coupe Premium". Maybe the issue is because yours was ordered in the future in the year "2103". That could explain everything, LOL
Old 08-14-2013, 05:55 PM
Moronix
1st Gear Member

I suspect you guys have different package options. Some Mustangs do not have the "Performance" package and therefore no "Sport Mode". Dropping the gear shift down one notch will simply put you in the "select shift" mode.

Last edited by Moronix; 08-14-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:02 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by Moronix
I suspect you guys have different package options. Some Mustangs do not have the "Performance" package and therefore no "Sport Mode". Dropping the gear shift down one notch will simply put you in the "select shift" mode.
That is true for 2011 and 2013. But in 2013 the transmission tune and shifter was changed and it isn't "performace package" option. Putting it in "S" does engage the sport mode and you have the option to shift it yourself using the +/- button or letting it shift on its own with a more aggressive transmission tune. There is no "OD off" button because the "S" mode turns off overdrive if you let it run as an automatic (you can get to OD if you use the + button to upshift, but then you are in selectshift mode unless you go back to D and then back to S)
Old 08-15-2013, 08:31 AM
vegas_
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
That is true for 2011 and 2013. But in 2013 the transmission tune and shifter was changed and it isn't "performace package" option. Putting it in "S" does engage the sport mode and you have the option to shift it yourself using the +/- button or letting it shift on its own with a more aggressive transmission tune. There is no "OD off" button because the "S" mode turns off overdrive if you let it run as an automatic (you can get to OD if you use the + button to upshift, but then you are in selectshift mode unless you go back to D and then back to S)
Yes I have the base model, no performance package, and my tranny operates that way. And I drive the car that way almost all the time. It is a tad annoying that you can't directly go from Manual (select shift) mode to Sport shift mode, without going through D mode.

Another interesting way to drive is on the highway, with the cruise control ON, and in selectshift in 6th gear. When I come to a hill, I will manually shift down to 5th, to make it easier for the cruise control to maintain speed. But once I forgot, and it was a pretty steep hill, the cruise control couldn't maintain speed, and it turned itself off. At first I didn't know what was going on, thought the car died,
Old 10-21-2013, 02:01 AM
J7erry
1st Gear Member

I have the premium package built 9/2012. When I drop to S from the fuel economy screen, which I always have on, it just says Sport mode in the entire center screen. I have to press +or- to see the gear. I didn't know S was a different , faster mode. And yes, I did read the manual when I bought it. Guess I need to read it again
Old 10-21-2013, 10:15 AM
vegas_
1st Gear Member

Same thing happened to me, it wasn't until someone from FORD pointed it out to me on this forum.

While in sport mode, you can press "reset" on the steering wheel, and it will stay in Sport mode but the center screen goes back to normal.

While in Sport mode it does not use 6th gear. So When I am getting on a freeway, I'll have it in sport mode until I get up to speed, then push the + button to go to 6th and cruise. It's slightly annoying that to get back into sport mode, you have to shift to "D" then back to "S"
Old 10-25-2013, 02:50 PM
J7erry
1st Gear Member

Thanks Vegas, it worked! I can tell a difference in S mode. Seems to get me up to speed smoother.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:42 AM
capndar
1st Gear Member

Is there any way to re-program a 2011 transmission to be able to access sport mode?
Old 10-17-2014, 06:41 PM
Mark Hone
1st Gear Member

GTC: Do you mean to say that on my /14 V6 Premium, that when in "D" I'm in drive, when in S (without touching the +/- buttons) I am in "Sport" mode, and as soon as I touch a +/- button I change to manual? If true (not doubting you) I was about to put the car away for 6 months of winter and depriving myself. Son-of-a-b. Mark

Quick Reply: Sport Shift Mode Question