Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Sport Shift Mode Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 03:51 PM
GTC
1st Gear Member

Default Sport Shift Mode Question

When I drop the shifter down to sport shift mode (2013 V6 Premium Automatic), a screen pops up that says "Sport Shift Mode" and takes up the entire center display screen and the current gear is not displayed. So I have to look at the mph and the tach and guess. Hitting the "OK" button does not eliminate the sport shift mode notification screen. It only goes away after you change gears the first time.

On the 2014 V8 Automatic, no Sport Shift Mode notification comes up at all, it just properly adds your current gear to the display.

So how can I delete that gear concealing notification screen? I have searched the menu trying to figure out how. THANKS
Old 06-24-2013, 08:50 PM
JimC

On my 2013 I just hit the "OK" button and the notification screen disappears.

But the current gear is only displayed if you hit the "+/-" button. It doesn't display gears otherwise and the S just has a different shift pattern with a lock out of the overdrive (6th). I.e. it runs like an automatic but with a more aggressive shift.

The 2014 may be different and hitting the "OK" will clear the notification as well as display the gears as the transmission shifts. I haven't been in one to check it out.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:24 AM
GTC
1st Gear Member

Yeah, unfortunately pressing okay unaffects the display, only pressing + or - clears it. I'll ask if there's a software update avail next time I get it serviced. Thanks.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:55 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Dang electronic nannies!
Old 07-04-2013, 05:35 AM
ghjr

Not sure what steering controls you have but on my 2014 base model you have an info/reset button on the left side of the wheel. If you hit the info side of the button first then hit the reset side the display will go back to what is was prior to the Sport Mode message.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:39 AM
vegas_
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTC
Yeah, unfortunately pressing okay unaffects the display, only pressing + or - clears it. I'll ask if there's a software update avail next time I get it serviced. Thanks.
There are 3 transmission modes, Normal (D) Sport (S) and Manual.

It is a little confusing, and it's not obvious that there is a distinct different between the sport mode and the manual shifting mode. Many people just assume (as I did for the first 2 months driving mine) that there are only 2 modes, Normal and manual.

The gear is not shown in D and S modes only in the manual mode

Sport is an aggressive shifting mode and as far as I know there is no way to show the gear being used.

Once you press one of the +/- buttons while in Sport more, you then switch to manual shifting mode, and then the gear is shown.

The bug I think is that you cannot go from Manual shifting mode to Sport mode without going to Normal (D) first.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:34 PM
GTC
1st Gear Member

"Many people just assume (as I did for the first 2 months driving mine) that there are only 2 modes, Normal and manual."

That solved it. I thought the "S" was for Select Shift - turns out it's a very nice Sport Mode - tach lives above 2krpm, engine braking seems to be enhanced beyond the increased rpms, shifts are faster - nice. I assumed there were only two modes for the first 3 weeks. Drove it in Sport, nice. Better engine breaking, faster shifts. Later shifts.

Last edited by GTC; 07-07-2013 at 07:18 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:40 AM
StangDawg

Originally Posted by GTC
When I drop the shifter down to sport shift mode (2013 V6 Premium Automatic), a screen pops up that says "Sport Shift Mode" and takes up the entire center display screen and the current gear is not displayed. So I have to look at the mph and the tach and guess. Hitting the "OK" button does not eliminate the sport shift mode notification screen. It only goes away after you change gears the first time.

On the 2014 V8 Automatic, no Sport Shift Mode notification comes up at all, it just properly adds your current gear to the display.

So how can I delete that gear concealing notification screen? I have searched the menu trying to figure out how. THANKS
Set your display to the Fuel Economy setting that shows a real time graph of your MPG as you drive. At the bottom of this display, it shows you "D" for normal, "S" for sport and if you go to manual when pushing the +/- button, it will show you what gear your in (1,2,3,4 & 5). I've never had any pop up with and "OK" when in the Fuel Economy setting, and I can switch from "D" or "S" without any pop up notification whatsoever. Look in your manual to get to this setting. Take a little time to get to know all the displays of information that are available in the Premium package. I sat in my stang in my garage for a half hour when I first got it just going over all the great stuff the displays have to offer. Good luck and happy trails
Old 07-17-2013, 05:28 PM
JimC

StangDawg - changing to a different screen like that doesn't affect my car. It doesn't matter which center screen I have displayed if I put it in "S" I get the pop up screen that says "Sport Mode"

I wonder why our cars are different? Seems like the programming would be the same. (not that I am questioning what your car does, just odd our cars are different).
Old 07-17-2013, 07:35 PM
StangDawg

Originally Posted by JimC
StangDawg - changing to a different screen like that doesn't affect my car. It doesn't matter which center screen I have displayed if I put it in "S" I get the pop up screen that says "Sport Mode"

I wonder why our cars are different? Seems like the programming would be the same. (not that I am questioning what your car does, just odd our cars are different).
JimC - I hear ya. I don't get why our cars would act differently. I bought mine on 04/27/13 and have never had a pop up happen when I shift into "S" mode. It's a stock V6 Premium with the Pony package. Maybe you could drop by the dealer and ask one of the sales or service guys WTF, I would. Let me know what you find out and good luck.

Quick Reply: Sport Shift Mode Question