Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

What swayed you & Which Exhaust Choice Did Ya Make for the 3.7 L'il Animal

Old 01-12-2014, 08:04 AM
obokky

Originally Posted by Siber Express
The Magnaflows would have been OK if not for the Headers but I planned on the Shorties.
I agonized over this decision for months last year and wound up going with the Magnaflow Street catbacks in July. I selected them seeking the deeper and mellower sound because I expected to open up the flow with at least a future midpipe replacement, which most accounts seem to say further increases the sound volume while decreasing the tone.

I've been very happy with them and am now trying to decide on a highflow catted midpipe replacement.

I guess I have two questions for Siber and anyone else who's been down this path:
1. What aspect of the Magnaflows left them off the short list when anticipating the headers later - and was it specific to the shorties or would it have been the same consideration with LT's?

2. Should I expect a pretty good improvement via the butt dyno and throttle response with only the highflow cats and retune, or is it only nominal without the headers?

Last edited by obokky; 01-12-2014 at 08:05 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-13-2014, 10:53 AM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

My friend has the Magnaflows with long tubes and a catted X Pipe and it is too loud for my tastes. Although if you left the stock cats and only ran shorties it would not be as loud and would be deeper.
As for the Magnaflows not being on the short list for me was just because I wanted it a little quieter. So it was the Touring, either the Borla or FRPP.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:48 PM
obokky

Thanks, Siber.
Been a long week at work, but found a few minutes yesterday to get the BBK ceramic coated shorties ordered.
Gonna spice up the commute a little!
Figured I would start with those and see how long before I "need" to expand the midpipes/cats to 2.5", too.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:49 PM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by obokky
Thanks, Siber.
Been a long week at work, but found a few minutes yesterday to get the BBK ceramic coated shorties ordered.
Figured I would start with those and see how long before I "need" to expand the midpipes/cats to 2.5", too.
I still have the Stock Cats but do have the FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe. 1 Thing I have found with the 3.7 is it needs back pressure. I had a set of Magnaflow Competitions (Muffler Deletes) on mine and it fell on its face in the lower to mid range but did pick up some on the top, it all came back after the stock mufflers went back on.
Since I do not go fast in a straight line and prefer the mountains keeping all the torque I can get out of it was important.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:37 PM
Mineral_GT
1st Gear Member

I have Pypes Bombs with 1000 mi for $200 text if interested 814-592-2462
Old 05-15-2014, 10:18 AM
dude90002

I got the Borla S-type for mine. I always get compliments on the sound. It has that nice gurgle when down-revving.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:30 AM
SQLdad

Originally Posted by Siber Express
BBK Short tube headers, FRPP Cut and clamp X-Pipe and Borla Touring A/B
Borla 002 - YouTube
I did not want real loud but you can hear it coming
That sounds Great! When I change my exhaust I don't want it too loud either.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:56 PM
13V6coupe
I drive a V6 because I'm a giant wimp

Originally Posted by obokky
Thanks, Siber.

So how did you like just the BBK shorties with the rest stock exhaust?
Have you changed it since then?
Impressions?
Old 10-14-2014, 05:30 AM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 13V6coupe
So how did you like just the BBK shorties with the rest stock exhaust?
Have you changed it since then?
Impressions?
It actually got a little louder and deeper with the Stock Manual mufflers and the BBK STH's on mine. I did everything before the Mufflers, the reason I went with the Touring mufflers, but I did not want overly loud either.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:27 PM
13V6coupe
I drive a V6 because I'm a giant wimp

I am thinking of leaving the rest of the exhaust system stock (I do have the manual so-the manual mufflers)- but have considered the catted x pipe or the clamp on x pipe with the stock mufflers.

I do not want loud, as I already have some snotty neighbors to deal with about everything else under the sky.
But I would like a little more sub 3000rpm power- for when I tow, or just cruise around

OMG there is a weed in my yard- drop everything and go take care of that.
Oh it is fall and the leaves are falling- what you didn't rake everyday to keep the yard spotless
OMG it is summer and a drought- what you didn't water twice a day and the yard is not bright dark green like ours. and you haven't mowed in 5 weeks- cuz it is not growing.
OMG you put your trash can out at 5pm on Sunday- city ordinance says it can't go out til Sunday night to be picked up Monday morning. (what time does night start, exactly?)
OMG it snowed- you haven't shoveled the sidewalk right down to the concrete yet, it has been like 5 minutes....better drop everything and get on that
OMG- your flowers are past bloom, better drop everything and get to dead heading them
OMG you burn wood in the winter, well your wood pile is harboring mice. you can't be having a rodent infestation living here. They eat my grass and flowers- you better get on that. (oh they did call the city and whine)
OMG- you put in an all new concrete driveway yourself and it doesn't look as nice as mine- tear it out and pay a contractor 5 times what it cost me to redo it- yep they called the city on that too
OMG- you have brick and cedar. I don't like that look or the color- you should pull it down and get someone to fix that. Yep they bitched about that too and the ******** at the city came out and questioned me about it... wtf?
OMG- it was freezing rain for 2 days and my driveway faces north- shade line 3/4 way down the driveway so I pulled out my power washer and used it hooked up to the hot water heater to remove the 1" layer of ice so I could drive up it again. yep it went into the street and down the storm sewer---they called the city actually 911 and said I was flooding their house...lol---they live more than 200' away and are 5' about sidewalk level, 7' above road level. How the f*ck am I flooding your house exactly?

I hate my one neighbor and they have a couple of idiots friends in the neighborhood that just agree with anything they say

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What swayed you & Which Exhaust Choice Did Ya Make for the 3.7 L'il Animal