Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

ECU internal error

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 04:48 AM
vik.iliev

Default ECU internal error

Hello guys, during the past few days my 2011 Mustang V6 did not work well, when I drove it used to cut off a few times so I thought there should have been a problem. Today I tried to overtake a car, pushed the pedal up to 6000rpm and suddenly it lost power, cut off and finally the engine stopped. I pulled over, tried to start the engine, it started but instantly stopped again. I started it again and same thing- starts but in a second stops again. Then I pulled the MAF sensor out of the air box and started the engine. This time it did not stop but stayed started. So thus I managed to drive the Mustang to a service center here, with the MAF sensor out, driving 20 miles per hour, because if I pushed the pedal harder and it instantly cuts off and loses power, and the diagnose was ECU internal error. Can somebody help me what should I do now? Buy a new ECU or a new MAF sensor?
Old 12-17-2013, 12:51 PM
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Pulling the MAF almost certainly dropped the engine into "limp home" mode, so that's why you were limited to 20 MPH or so. The ECU Internal Error code could be an actual problem with the ECU, or triggered because it was expecting to see the MAF but couldn't since it was unplugged.

SO....what to do from here? I'd start with scanning the ECU for any other codes before going much further. The "diagnostic tree" to solve this one might be tricky, so if or when you have a moment to post back, you might mention

- Manual or Auto?
- Fuel level? Any recent temperature changes? (testing for water in fuel)
- Mods (if any)?

Good luck, and hopefully it will all get sorted out shortly!
Old 12-18-2013, 07:33 AM
vik.iliev

It is Auto, no mods, recently temperatures fell down a lot as well, i do not skip the chance for water in fuel
Old 12-18-2013, 11:15 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Did the car throw a CEL? If so did you pull the codes? What did the service center say besides a ECU error? They should have pulled the codes and given them to you. Your '11 should be still under Fords power train warranty. Call them and have them tow it (for free) to your local dealer. You have no mods so you should have no worries.

Matthew